Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wago Connectors - Use on Electric Brake Wiring OK?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TedS View Post

ziptie it and/or the wires so it doesn't move and make contact.
    Then when you are done...make sure you say "that's not going anywhere!"...because that's what we all say after fastening something..

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Although I do own an assortment of WAGO connectors and I am finding that my 2600RB has them installed from the factory, I'm really not a big fan of them overall as I don't believe they make as good of contact as a wire nut. But both of these solutions are not good without being able to ensure the connections stay out of the elements.
      The best option I've found and used in the past for areas where wiring is going to be exposed to the elements has been soldering and using heat shrink with glue inside. The heat shrink not only protects the soldered connection but the glue also helps it adhere to the jacket of the wire creating a water tight connection.
      One of the most recent items I've tried and like is a heat shrink connector that already has the solder inside it. You simply insert the stripped wires into the ends and heat it up. The solder melts around the bare wire and the jacket shrinks and insulates. Only caution is that you will want to hold the wires still for a minute or so to give the solder time to solidify. They are easy to work with especially in places where you might not want to be using a solder iron. I found these on amazon.
      Jim & Kathy
      2022 Imagine 2600RB
      2022 RAM 1500 Limited Longhorn, Hemi e-Torque, 3:92,
      trailer tow pkg, 4x air suspension, TT TPMS.

Comment

Yoda . . Looks like you have a good plan. I like to put a dab of silicone between the wires on the “two wire” side before heating the shrink wrap. Just makes sure there is not a water path between the wires that didn’t get sealed with the hot melt glue.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I realize it's been a few days since this was last updated.

Keith, the biggest issue with trying to put 2 #14 into a butt connector in my experience is the plastic insulator. I went to the non insulated ones a while back and glue filled heat shrink. First thing is to NOT TWIST the wires together as this makes them get BIGGER. Using the NON insulated butt connectors, stick one of the wires in, the the other will fill the gaps around the first and crimp with the SPIKE on the same side as the wire insert limiting crimp. Put heat shrink over the now double wire side (this ensures it fits), and if needed (small test on the singe wire to ensure shrinkage is correct) put a small piece of singe heat shrink on the single wire before inserting into the butt connector and spiking. Next slather the connector in either NOALOX or di-electric grease before placing the heat shrink and activating.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
            I realize it's been a few days since this was last updated.

Keith, the biggest issue with trying to put 2 #14 into a butt connector in my experience is the plastic insulator. I went to the non insulated ones a while back and glue filled heat shrink. First thing is to NOT TWIST the wires together as this makes them get BIGGER. Using the NON insulated butt connectors, stick one of the wires in, the the other will fill the gaps around the first and crimp with the SPIKE on the same side as the wire insert limiting crimp. Put heat shrink over the now double wire side (this ensures it fits), and if needed (small test on the singe wire to ensure shrinkage is correct) put a small piece of singe heat shrink on the single wire before inserting into the butt connector and spiking. Next slather the connector in either NOALOX or di-electric grease before placing the heat shrink and activating.
            Good timing
            I picked up a selection of these in various sizes to cover the existing and if I need to replace wiring. They arrived in the mail yesterday and should work. These are for the Y connections in the main line where I was thinking of using the waygo.
            https://www.wiringdepot.com/in-line-...rimp-seal.aspx

For the wheel magnet wire connections I am going to use heat shrink spade connectors on each wire with a second glue heat shrink over the connections. I can get two #14 into the #10 size I have.. That way if the magnets ever need replacing I can get the wiring apart.

Probably clear as mud

Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda Keith, You can solder and heat shrink all at the same time. Check out "Solder Seal" wire connectors available on Amazon. Easy to use. Strip the ends of the wire as you normally would, insert into the solder seal, heat it up with your heat gun.

Jim & Kathy
              2022 Imagine 2600RB
              2022 RAM 1500 Limited Longhorn, Hemi e-Torque, 3:92,
              trailer tow pkg, 4x air suspension, TT TPMS.

Comment

Moderators - please close this thread as I believe the question has been answered and the correct information presented.

Thanks everyone for the advice given

Keith
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thread Closed at OP's request.

Brian, Moderator
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                  X