Powering a Second RV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering a Second RV

We will be doing a few dry camping trips this year with other campers and I would like to be able to "allow" them usage of my battery power when needed, evenings or overnight. What I am thinking I can do is use a 50 amp to 15 amp adaptor from their camper to an extension cord and plug that into one of my pass thru outlets. I know that their usage would be limited to the 15 amp available and what I am hoping is that this would be enough to keep their battery charged and allow them some light 120 v ac usage, c-pap mostly.

Is this something that is doable? Is there something that I am missing?

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Yes I've done this before with decent results. Usually we left them plugged in all the time but once it got dark we turned off their converter breaker but left them plugged in. This kept the draw down when I was not getting solar but still let them make coffee and in your case run the CPAP.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      We will be doing a few dry camping trips this year with other campers and I would like to be able to "allow" them usage of my battery power when needed, evenings or overnight. What I am thinking I can do is use a 50 amp to 15 amp adaptor from their camper to an extension cord and plug that into one of my pass thru outlets. I know that their usage would be limited to the 15 amp available and what I am hoping is that this would be enough to keep their battery charged and allow them some light 120 v ac usage, c-pap mostly.

Is this something that is doable? Is there something that I am missing?

Brian
      Yes, this is how I charged my buddy's 297RSTS when we were boondocking in Canada (during the day). He had his own inverter so didn't need a separate power source once his batteries were recharged.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The fragility of the rv receptacle daisy chain would be a concern for me. I would consider a dedicated cct to one receptacle if your basement receptacle is connected after several other indoor receptacles.
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

One thought I had was to connect a dedicated receptacle to my Multiplus out2. When the generator is running a friend can plug into the dedicated receptacle for power.
          Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
            One thought I had was to connect a dedicated receptacle to my Multiplus out2. When the generator is running a friend can plug into the dedicated receptacle for power.
            That setup will definitely work, but I was taking advantage of the extra solar generated by my camper. ACOut2 on the Multiplus, as I'm sure you know, is inactive without a 120vAC input. (My buddy had his own generator but it was nice to skip the noisy run time.)

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
              The fragility of the rv receptacle daisy chain would be a concern for me. I would consider a dedicated cct to one receptacle if your basement receptacle is connected after several other indoor receptacles.

This is a valid point. I've got an outlet in my wet bay I replaced (along with all the interior outlets at this point I think) with a residential. Brian I'm assuming by now you've probably replaced yours too but if not you might want to try and get him plugged into a string that's been replaced, or a dedicated if you have one.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I have replaced and added a couple of the fancy receptacles with higher quality ones. I do have 2 that are on a completely separate circuit, the factory converter circuit, that will handle this well. I also like the idea of using output 2 on the Multi 2 and will have to do a little looking to see what that involves.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                X