Converter extra high voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converter extra high voltage

I still have the original converter in my 2017 Momentum. When looking at the one control panel I noticed for the firest time that the V said 14.7...

I know that the converter has three stages;
    13.2 V dc range “float” mode,
    13.6 V dc range “absorption” mode (this is what I normally see)
    14.4 V dc range “bulk”

I have seen these before. But never 14.7.

Is this extra high voltage some kind of indicator that I have a charging problem, converter or batteries?

2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Hi Dallas,

I assume that is the original WFCO Converter? Probably a WFCO 9855?

14.7V is pretty high. I can think of three things that might cause that indication on your panel.

1. It's the true reading and something is going wrong with your WFCO converter
    2. It's not really 14.7VDC, and your meter is out of whack.
    3. A possible battery problem that driving higher voltage.

Here's how I'd check it out with a digital volt meter.

1. While connected to shore power, measure the voltage at the battery terminals with the converter turned on. If the voltage matches your display panel, it would rule out a panel error.
    2. Turn off the converter breaker and remove a battery cable. Measure the voltage on the battery terminals to check the battery voltage. This will determine if your batteries are putting out excessive voltage.
    3. If the battery voltage in step 2 is normal (around 13 volts), and the voltage in step 1 is 14.7 volts, I'd consider replacing the converter.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Unless you have an AGM battery, I wouldn’t worry. Most chargers are higher output than the 14.4V, and 14.7V is well below any problem area for conventional lead-acid batteries or issues with electronics. Any other type of charger besides an RV converter, 14.6 or 14.7V would be the norm.
      John & Kathy
      2014 Reflection 303RLS
      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
        Unless you have an AGM battery, I wouldn’t worry. Most chargers are higher output than the 14.4V, and 14.7V is well below any problem area for conventional lead-acid batteries or issues with electronics. Any other type of charger besides an RV converter, 14.6 or 14.7V would be the norm.
        14.7V probably won't hurt, but it's higher than the specified bulk charging voltage that WFCO is supposed to provide.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          I'd consider replacing the converter.
          Jim

Like most other stuff in my RV, one form of PM is replacing stuff before catastrophic failure. One reason I spent 2 hours today reseraching water pumps, mine made a funny noise. At least in my previous 5th wheel the converter had the good manners to make the lights pulse for a week or two before it went belly up.

I will not be spending the extra bucks for LIon batteries... Can you recomend a decent smart converter to replace the WFCO with?

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
          Unless you have an AGM battery,
          Oh no, what have I done. I went 2 6v AGM batteries with my latest battery repalcement. Why does AGM make a difference?
          2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
          2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
          E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
          Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post

Like most other stuff in my RV, one form of PM is replacing stuff before catastrophic failure. One reason I spent 2 hours today reseraching water pumps, mine made a funny noise. At least in my previous 5th wheel the converter had the good manners to make the lights pulse for a week or two before it went belly up.

I will not be spending the extra bucks for LIon batteries... Can you recomend a decent smart converter to replace the WFCO with?

Oh no, what have I done. I went 2 6v AGM batteries with my latest battery repalcement. Why does AGM make a difference?
            AGMs are a little pickier about voltage. Most recommend charging at 14.6V, though it varies among manufacturers.

John & Kathy
            2014 Reflection 303RLS
            2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

d2reid - i've always been partial to the Progressive Dynamics converter/chargers along with the charge wizard pendant. Something along the lines of the PD9260. But you should check their cross reference table with your WFCO converter first.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/conve...ference-guide/
              Jim
              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Working...
              X