Current leak in cold weather “cures” itself in warmer weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current leak in cold weather “cures” itself in warmer weather

Like most GD trailers our 310GK leaks about 1/2 amp of 12V current at all times due to alarms and other devices that are always powered, even when the factory battery “kill” switch is turned off.

When circumstances kept us in cold northern temps until recently I noticed that this “no load” draw increased to as much as 2.1 amps - quadruple the normal draw. It seemed wise to investigate this new current leaking problem when we arrived in Florida rather than in the -16C temps at home.

Well, now we’re in Florida and the current draw has dropped back to 0.6 amps. I pulled each of the 15-amp fuses in the panel anyway, and the only one that made any difference was the fuse labeled for the black tank heater - current draw fell 0.2 amps when that fuse was removed. We’ve never turned on the black tank heater.

Any theories about what might be drawing a lot more power in cold weather, and why? Thanks in advance.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

boyscout

Hi Mark,
    I wonder if the tank heaters have some sort of "stand-by" power requirement when temps are low but the heaters are turned off? 0.2 A at 12V would be 2.4 watts . . . not enough to heat much. Another possibility is the propane detector. I wonder if it has to heat itself to some minimum temperature to operate correctly? Just a couple of guesses . . . no data to support.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I am no expert so please be nice.

Does a battery discharge faster at colder temps?

If one would have a loose or wet ground that would freeze in the colder temps would that "draw" more from the battery?

Brian

Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        Does a battery discharge faster at colder temps?
        Actually, it is the other way around. A lead/acid battery self discharge rate is reduced at colder temperatures.

Rob

Cate & Rob
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob amp;

I wouldn’t disagree with the discharge rate being reduced in cold weather.....BUT why is it that contrary to anything that I have read my batteries will always fail on the coldest day of the year, at 11:00 at night, on a holiday!😂

Maybe it was always because I was driving a 20 year old clunker of some sort in those days or maybe it was just karma...
          Keith and Diane
          2014 Reflection 337 RLS
          2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Kksfish View Post
            BUT why is it that contrary to anything that I have read my batteries will always fail on the coldest day of the year, at 11:00 at night, on a holiday!😂
            Hi Keith,
            You know . . . I have wondered the same thing . . . bin ther dun that . . . LOL

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I believe a flooded battery at 100% capacity in warm conditions will lose 50% of its capacity at zero F. The self discharge rate is less but due to higher internal resistance, the capacity decreases. Dry cell batteries will maintain capacity at cold conditions. So a warm and weak flooded battery at 75F will exhibit half its capacity at 0F and your car will not start.

Jim
              Last edited by Guest; 02-09-2020, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                I believe a flooded battery at 100% capacity in warm conditions will lose 50% of its capacity at zero F. The self discharge rate is less but due to higher internal resistance, the capacity decreases. Dry cell batteries will maintain capacity at cold conditions. So a warm and weak flooded battery at 75F will exhibit half its capacity at 0F and your car will not start.

Jim
                Hi Jim,

I believe that you statement is also correct. The difference is whether we are talking about self-discharge in storage or available discharge capacity in use. There is a great website on "everything" related to batteries. https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...tery_knowledge This site discusses and compares all types of batteries, so you have to be careful that the graph you are looking at is about the type of battery you are investigating.

Rob
                Attached Files
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Great info Rob.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X