RV Converter/Chargers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howard,

It looks like the Victron BMV712 shunt is not waterproof. This poses a small issue since I intend on leaving my battery out front on the frame. So in order to capture all loads both in and out of the battery, I will need to install the shunt in a waterproof box on the frame, or inside a suitable battery box.

Found an informative site from Enerdrive which has a bunch of videos and other information on chargers, batteries and more.

Also is an excellent link to Progressive Dynamics in using a charger made for lead acid battery charging on Lithium batteries.

https://enerdrive.com.au/

https://www.progressivedyn.com/frequ...hium-charging/

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 02-20-2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
      Howard,

It looks like the Victron BMV712 shunt is not waterproof. This poses a small issue since I intend on leaving my battery out front on the frame. So in order to capture all loads both in and out of the battery, I will need to install the shunt in a waterproof box on the frame, or inside a suitable battery box.

Found an informative site from Enerdrive which has a bunch of videos and other information on chargers, batteries and more.

https://enerdrive.com.au/

Jim
      Even though the shunt for my BMV is in the pass-thru, I (shamelessly) "stole" TucsonJim 's idea to put it in a box for protection. Obviously not waterproof as I installed it--more for protection from items contacting the shunt.

You'd need something like a junction box used for solar connections that can house the shunt if you have to locate it outside. If at all possible--find a sheltered location, ideally next to your inverter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	waterproof.JPG
Views:	1860
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	12886
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard,

Thank you and Thank you Tucson. Can you share a link to the box that you fellows used?

Jim

Comment

Jim, I'm putting a link on here for the box I used. I used a spade bit to drill the holes for the cable. And since mine is under the A-frame of the trailer, I sealed the holes with silicone.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Name:	Shunt.jpg
Views:	1734
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	12907
          Attached Files
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
            Howard,

Thank you and Thank you Tucson. Can you share a link to the box that you fellows used?

Jim
            Jim,
            Page 27 of the PDF (attached) has a "Supplies" list. Figured I'd give you more than you asked for.

I've got to update this presentation to include the DC-DC Charger, generator and Solar!

Electrical Project Presentation v5.pdf
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Guys,

Thank you both for the junction box info. I believe I have my system planned and will need some warm weather to get it all installed. Also have been looking at the Renogy solar 10amp controller to bring my suitcase unit up to speed for the lithium battery. Also thinking about a DC-DC charger for the vehicle charge wire to handle lithium as well.

Jim

Comment

Here is a series of videos from Progressive Dynamics. One of which is how to check converter function.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/videos/

Jim

Comment

I just bought a PD9160ALV to replace the WFCO9855 in our 2018 337RLS. The new PD9160 has a 110v plug for a receptacle. Is the WFCO the same or is it hard wired?
                  If the WFCO is hard wired, should I wire in a 110 receptacle box or just cut off plug on the PD9160 and use wire nuts?
                  Thanks, Rudy
                  Rudy
                  South Dakota
                  2019 GMC 3500HD Duramax SRW
                  2018 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy View Post
                    I just bought a PD9160ALV to replace the WFCO9855 in our 2018 337RLS. The new PD9160 has a 110v plug for a receptacle. Is the WFCO the same or is it hard wired?
                    If the WFCO is hard wired, should I wire in a 110 receptacle box or just cut off plug on the PD9160 and use wire nuts?
                    Thanks, Rudy
                    The 9855 has a plug. Below is a pic of mine showing how it plugs into the back of the power distribution center. I expect that yours is the same.

Name:	WFCO Plugs In.JPG
Views:	1711
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	13247

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

The 9855 has a plug. Below is a pic of mine showing how it plugs into the back of the power distribution center. I expect that yours is the same.

Name:	WFCO Plugs In.JPG
Views:	1711
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	13247
                      Thanks Howard,
                      Thought it had a plug but didn't see it when checking the model number before ordering the new one.
                      Rudy
                      South Dakota
                      2018 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Hi,
                        I'm trying to replace the converter in my 1998 Fleetwood Tioga. It currently has an Inteli Power 9100 (model PD9140A) which has stopped charging my batteries (I only have 2 deep cycle). I contacted Rev Parts and they recommended this one: https://parts.revgroup.com/item-deta...e&previousURL=
                        which is a 55 amp and very little info is available on the site. I would like a 4-stage smart converter to better care for my batteries and was looking at this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007GN4W76..._t1_B007GN4WSK
                        Any advice of thoughts would be appreciated. I've never replaced a converter before and would like to pick the best replacement for my RV.
                        Thanks!

Comment

Hi,
                          The 2018 337RLS Reflection stock power converter is located behind the basement wall on the right side.
                          120v cord runs back to the main panel which is several feet long which there is no access to get behind the main panel.
                          I have a progressive dynamics model PD9160 which has a 18'' cord with a 120v plug on end.
                          So, the only choice would be to cut cord on the stock converter, the plug off of new converter and wire together? Is this how you would do it, or is there another way?
                          Rudy
                          South Dakota
                          2018 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy View Post
                            Hi,
                            The 2018 337RLS Reflection stock power converter is located behind the basement wall on the right side.
                            120v cord runs back to the main panel which is several feet long which there is no access to get behind the main panel.
                            I have a progressive dynamics model PD9160 which has a 18'' cord with a 120v plug on end.
                            So, the only choice would be to cut cord on the stock converter, the plug off of new converter and wire together? Is this how you would do it, or is there another way?
                            Hi Rudy

I would not cut the plug wires and splice them together. It is fairly easy to remove the power panel from inside to access the back to unplug the original converter , yours should be similar enough to my unit. From there you may be able to tell how long the cord needs to be. I did not have to add any cord length to my Progressive unit but that cord seems pretty short. You may reach out to Progressive to see if this was a mistake in manufacturing. If this is not the case you could remove the cover on both units and just swap out the cords.
                            Your picture with the wiring mess is about the same as I have found in ours , such an ugly mess.

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

There are heavy duty short 15 amp extension cords available. I picked up a 6ft HD cord at home depot years ago and it has much heavier wiring than what's used in the PD 18 inch cord. The pic you provided looks identical to my PD9160AL. The AC side of the converter is around 8.3 amps.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-6-ft...kiwR6ypQQZbWM0

Jim
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-13-2020, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I plugged a short heavy duty extension cord into the single outlet on the back of the power panel so it's easier to change out the converter..
                                I used a cord with a straight plug like the original converter has., like the Tripp-Lite 14 Awg that has several lengths.
                                Gene and Kim
                                2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                                2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Working...
                                X