Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV Converter/Chargers

Thread to discuss different types of RV Converter/Chargers
    Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2020, 02:35 PM.

Recently purchased the AIMS CON12012/24VDC charger since I was so intrigued the features of the converter charger. Features such as 12 or 24 volt operation, the ability to charge all battery types including lithium, battery temperature charge control and adjustable current control and much more.

However this charger while packed with features will operate with the fan on at a constant speed at ALL times. While its not all that loud and may not have been an issue while being mounted in the passthrough, I decided to return it for a Progressive Industries unit that was confirmed by Gene gbkims to have quiet operation once the battery is charged.

I know there are many other brands of devices out there and figured a thread on the topic would be helpful.

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2020, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Three trailers ago I bought an IOTA deck mount converter w/ integrated charge controller. It now resides inside the pass through hookup center in our Imagine and feeds the dual 6V batteries. I got it for faster charging when running off a generator when we dry camp.
      2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

I just replaced the WFFCO with a Progressive Dynamics PD9260-CV. I had purchased this about a year ago as a back up after hearing that the WFFCO was unreliable. I am not very "hip" on these items but learning. The PD has 3 modes, bulk or fast charge , maintaining charge , and a de-sulfate mode , figure that may be better for the battery. I am not sure if I will carry the WFFCO as a spare or not , might come in handy if i need or someone else may need one.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Purchased the Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV 60 amp lithium battery charger after Gene gbkims got me straightened out on the fan operation. And PDs website. Will be picking up the Victron BMV-712 battery monitor with blue tooth operation as well.

From an Ampacity chart, planning to run 4 AWG wire from the battery to the positive junction block on the frame, then on to the charger in the passthrough. Ground will also run from the battery to the ground post on the frame then on to the charger.

Will be installing better junction blocks on the frame while making these connections as well.

Now just need warm weather.

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 02-18-2020, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
            Purchased the Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV 60 amp lithium battery charger after Gene gbkims got me straightened out on the fan operation. And PDs website. Will be picking up the Victron BMV-712 battery monitor with blue tooth operation as well.

From an Ampacity chart, planning to run 4 AWG wire from the battery to the positive junction block on the frame, then on to the charger in the passthrough. Ground will also run from the battery to the ground post on the frame then on to the charger.

Will be installing better junction blocks on the frame while making these connections as well.

Now just need warm weather.

Jim
            Jim,
            I'm sure you're aware that length of the wire run and the expected voltage/amperage of the system (along with acceptable loss) dictates wire choice. Below is how mine is setup--"food for thought". If nothing else, if you overspec the wiring doing an upgrade later will be much, much easier.

Click image for larger version

Name:	For Jim 1.JPG
Views:	5729
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	12816

And forgive me if this is obvious, but 4/0 and 2/0 are different from 4ga and 2ga.

Click image for larger version

Name:	For Jim 2.JPG
Views:	3715
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	12815

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard,

Yes I'm aware. Without working outside I'm basing this on an estimated 10ft of cable.

Really excited to get this wired up after I get my rig back from GDRV this spring.

Jim

Comment

Howard,

Yes I'm aware. Without working outside I'm basing this on an estimated 10ft of cable.

Really excited to get this wired up after I get my rig back from GDRV this spring.

Jim
                I've got ~18" of 2/0 from the batteries to the DC Bus, then ~6' of RD & BK 4 Awg from DC Bus to the PD9170ALV. I think 4 Awg is the largest that fits into the converter's terminals.
                On the 1st charge of the 2 parallel connected 100Ah battle born I saw 61A. They'd been sitting for 3 months in my garage w/o charge.

1055 to 1228

1235 to 1238
                Last edited by gbkims; 02-25-2020, 08:00 PM. Reason: Battery wire is 2/0. Not 1/0 as 1st said.
                Gene and Kim
                2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Gene,

What size charger are you using?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
                    ...I think 4 Awg is the largest that fits into the converter's terminals...
                    That would be a key consideration! There are so many "gotchas" when putting together a system. Requires a lot of homework. Look forward to reading about your system in more detail, Guest . (Did you post a schematic somewhere?)
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Gene,

What size charger are you using?

Jim
                      It's the 70A one. Looks to be physically the same size as the 60A lithium.
                      Gene and Kim

Comment

Gene,

Why is your charger not putting out 70amps on the two 100ah batteries?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

That would be a key consideration! There are so many "gotchas" when putting together a system. Requires a lot of homework. Look forward to reading about your system in more detail, Guest . (Did you post a schematic somewhere?)
                          Howard,

I've not posted a schematic where I am not as capable as you with all the great diagrams you have posted. I will see what I can do but I'm back at work now, so not much time. Basically I figured I would maintain all the same wiring in the rig except the 8 AWG battery wires that run to the busbars on the frame from the battery. These will be replaced with 4 AWG. I will replace the busbars with higher end units, and rework the wire terminals. From the busbars I will run 4 AWG into the passthrough to the converter charger. Resettable breakers will be used as well as the installation of the Victron battery monitor and Renogy 10amp charger from the vehicle side. Planning to keep the WFCO unit in place where I will pull the breaker. For my little 100ah system I like the flexibility to keep a conventional charger on board since if there is the unforeseeable battery issue, I can disconnect the PD Lithium charger, install a standard deep cycle battery, install the WFCO breaker and save a trip should this occur. I may at some point look into additional batteries but at this time, we boondock in the early spring and in late fall where the highest load is the furnace.

I also have a 3600 watt inverter generator for boondocking, but will need to install a new controller on my suitcase solar panel.

Still spending Howard.

Jim
                          Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2020, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Howard,

Is the Victron battery monitor shunt a suitable for mounting on the frame? It will not be here for a few days.

Jim

Comment

Gene,

Why is your charger not putting out 70amps on the two 100ah batteries?

Jim
                              Jim,

I haven't spent any time on additional testing.
                              I didn't have the BMV712 connected when I watched it charging, so didn't cross check the clamp-on reading
                              My old clamp-on could be off some. It's never been through a yearly calibration cycle as my work test equipment was.
                              The rig was at storage one hour away and plugged into 120V outlet via 50' extension cord.
                              My Digital Panel Meter AC Amps & Volts at start of charging was 113VAC, 11.78 ACA, so in the ballpark of the converter's 1250W rating.

Gene and Kim

Comment

Working...
                              X