X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV Batteries

Thread to discuss different battery types, brands and features

Jim,
    The link: INTELI-POWER 9100 Series Operation https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...er-converters/ is for the lead acid battery converters.

The Lithium converters are on: PD9100L Series Lithium Converters https://www.progressivedyn.com/speci...um-converters/
    That's where I was seeing the fan speed off for <20%.
    Gene and Kim
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
    2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Thanks Gene,

What I had seen was in the 9100 series overview section which was not clear, but it doesn't matter as you confirmed its quiet.

Here is their statement on the Lithium charger. Will order it up asap.

Intelligent Cooling Fan –
      Operates only under high load conditions.

Jim
      Last edited by Guest; 02-14-2020, 07:55 PM.

Comment

There are a ton of battery options out there where some are building battery packs from prismatic cells ( I was really tempted) and purchasing a high quality BMS to provide protection controls to the battery. I went the cheap and easy route and purchased the AIMS 12V 100ah battery from Amazon. With an offer on the amazon chase card, the battery was shipped to my door for $723.00. Their warranty is 10 years which I do not think is worth the paper its written on but the price was excellent. So I went for it. Time will tell if this was a good choice where I intend on being easy on the battery at a 0.6C charge rate.

Figured a discussion on battery types would be nice since many are also satisfied with AGM, Flooded, etc.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2020, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Figured a discussion on battery types would be nice since many are also satisfied with AGM, Flooded, etc.
          I had a battery-well cut out, braced, and welded into the front storage compartment of my 5th wheel so I could store 4 ea. 6V AGM sweeper-style batteries. Each one is (LxWxH) 11.6 x 7.1 x 15.9 inches. Because they're in a well and covered with a case, I don't lose much storage. At 200 AH each, I have 800 AH of capacity. It's amazing. Cost me around $1,680 for the batteries, including freight.

What I didn't realize is that my 1-ton TV was already near payload capacity with the Solitude -- without the added batteries. They weigh in at ~123# each, so I've got like 490# of battery in my front storage compartment.

After I did a Cat-scale weigh-in, I've been driving a lot slower lately, and I've really been thinking hard about those 4 of those <30# LiFePO4 100 AH guys. The AIMS deal on Amazon is tempting me.

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
          Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
          2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
          18k B&W Companion, non-slider
          640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
          Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
          Somerset, WI

Comment

There are a ton of battery options out there where some are building battery packs from prismatic cells ( I was really tempted) and purchasing a high quality BMS to provide protection controls to the battery. I went the cheap and easy route and purchased the AIMS 12V 100ah battery from Amazon. With an offer on the amazon chase card, the battery was shipped to my door for $723.00. Their warranty is 10 years which I do not think is worth the paper its written on but the price was excellent. So I went for it. Time will tell if this was a good choice where I intend on being easy on the battery at a 0.6C charge rate.

Will Prowse does a lot of this type of battery-building on his YouTube channel. I can see myself experimenting and building my own battery someday. When I'm bored. That's not now.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Running a capacity test on my new 100ah battery since it will be a while before it EVER warms up in Michigan.

Nice thing about working with a Lithium pack is that I can test it in the study where its nice and warm. At least until the DW shows up.

This tester shows 12.5V at the unit, where actual voltage at the battery is at 13.2V.

After a 10 hour discharge at 10 amps the battery ended up at 12.5V, so the cells are healthy and are delivering as good or better than advertised.

Jim
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2020, 06:25 PM.

Comment

These LiFeP04 batteries are real powerhouses. For the low draw on my Imagine 2600RB, a 100ah battery will operate the rig while boondockng in cooler weather (furnace on at night@68F) at least for two days. And will recharge in under two hours. Can't wait to get out there.

This battery was purchased for $749.00 on Amazon with a $70.00 discount applied if an Amazon card was used. So delivered to my door the battery cost $723.00. An additional cash back was applied at $36.15 so this battery ended up costing $686.85.

This is an excellent bargain for those interested in getting into Lithium.

There are cheaper options available at Alibaba.com if folks want to take a chance with a 1 year warranty and ordering direct from China. All drop in batteries utilize cells from China.

Jim
                Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2020, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Triplethreat
                  ...Those two "banks" of batteries are the connected in parallel with each other and now you have 400 AH total. Sorry to disappoint, but that's the way it works.
                  And correct me if I'm wrong but since those are lead acid batteries that should only be discharged to around 50%, they have about 200ah available.
                  Brian & Kellie
                  2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
                  2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
                  2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
                  2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

These LiFeP04 batteries are real powerhouses. For the low draw on my Imagine 2600RB, a 100ah battery will operate the rig while boondockng in cooler weather (furnace on at night@68F) at least for two days. And will recharge in under two hours. Can't wait to get out there.

This battery was purchased for $749.00 on Amazon with a $70.00 discount applied if an Amazon card was used. So delivered to my door the battery cost $723.00. An additional cash back was applied at $36.15 so this battery ended up costing $686.85.

This is an excellent bargain for those interested in getting into Lithium.

Jim
                    Which battery did you order?

2020 F-250 Lariat 2WD SuperCrew 6.7L, Blue Ox SwayPro hitch w/ 1000lb bars
                    2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
                    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
                    FMCA # 489460

Comment

AIMS 100ah LiFeP04.

Comment

AIMS 100ah LiFeP04.
                        I've entered info and did a search in Amazon with 0 results. Are you referring to the ExpertPower battery?
                        2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
                        Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
                        FMCA # 489460

Comment

Its not listed and the AIMS sight is also out of stock. Amazon still has 200ah units in stock. I suspect we will see additional shortages due to the coronavirus scare. Folks are beginning to see shortages in the auto industry due to this issue as well.

Jim

Comment

guess it's going to be either BattleBorn or Renogy. Any opinions on either?
                            Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
                            FMCA # 489460

Comment

I believe all the name brand batteries, AIMS, Battleborn, Renogy, Victron (integration is cool), Trojan would be fine as the cells from all these batteries are sourced from China with only a few suppliers there. My purchase was based on features, price and warranty (may imply confidence in the product) which varies greatly where I remain skeptical when warrantees seem too good to be true . AIMS and Battleborn claim a 10 year warranty. Amazon sells Battleborn and Renogy where the price is higher but the discounts would still apply.

For auto's, cells are sourced from South Korea, and Japan and are not used by companies that produce drop in batteries. If they were, the cost would be prohibitive.

Jim
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2020, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X