RV Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
    I just learned that Costco has the Lion Energy Safari UT1300 battery for $699.99. Will Prowse tested the older 1200 model and found it didn't have the rated capacity but it had prismatic cells, a very nice BMS with functioning low temp cutoff and overall very good build quality. Hopefully the new UT1300 model has more capacity.

700 bucks though! Thoughts?
    Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered one..Price includes shipping PLUS local tax. I need to talk with Costco since they are using a higher tax than charged in our county. Total with the free shipping and tax for me is $755.99. We'll see how it works out.
    2020 F-250 Lariat 2WD SuperCrew 6.7L, Blue Ox SwayPro hitch w/ 1000lb bars
    2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
    FMCA # 489460

Comment

Well, after reading and watching a number of reviews, I went ahead and ordered two of the Lion Energy UT1300 batteries from Costco. I got them for $699.99ea. No tax for Oregon residents. The nice thing is Costco has an excellent return policy. I'm still waiting to hear back from my dealer about the credit they will give me for the two lead acid batteries they would have installed in my new RV when it arrives. My salesman thought it was $100ea but he never got back to me with a final amount. It would be nice if I can get $100ea. That would drop the net price of the UT1300's to $599.99ea!

Update:
      Just ordered the Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV converter/charger to go along with the new batteries.
      Last edited by bertschb; 03-08-2020, 10:57 AM.
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
        Thread to discuss different battery types, brands and features
        I'm just looking to upgrade my two standard Interstate group 24 batts with two intermediate to high quality group 24 AGM's. My rig is stock, I'm not looking to add an inverter nor solar anytime in the near future. The PM of the current batts is getting to be a PITA (I know, how lazy can I get?) and I'd like to delete one additional monthly PM item if I could. Looking for recommendations and suggestions. All advice much appreciated. Travel safe. (I may have put this post in the wrong spot, I'm just a novice at this)
        Dave and Sue
        2020 GD 2250RK
        2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
        Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
        GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
        SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post

I'm just looking to upgrade my two standard Interstate group 24 batts with two intermediate to high quality group 24 AGM's. My rig is stock, I'm not looking to add an inverter nor solar anytime in the near future. The PM of the current batts is getting to be a PITA (I know, how lazy can I get?) and I'd like to delete one additional monthly PM item if I could. Looking for recommendations and suggestions. All advice much appreciated. Travel safe. (I may have put this post in the wrong spot, I'm just a novice at this)
          Based on the need, if an AGM battery system works, there is nothing wrong with that at all. If I were to purchase an AGM battery I would buy from Trojan.

Comment

Based on the need, if an AGM battery system works, there is nothing wrong with that at all. If I were to purchase an AGM battery I would buy from Trojan.
            Thank you Midwest
            Dave and Sue
            2020 GD 2250RK
            2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
            Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
            GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
            SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Here is a link to a wonderful series called "Journey with Jono" where this fellow installs Lithium batteries and a battery management system (Victron approach is similar to EV's), then moves on to solar. This fellow lives on a "Narrow Boat" in England where his outfitting of his boat parallels to what many would do with an RV system. Its also very interesting to start with Jono's first video which also mirrors the full time life in a Boat/RV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIVB...GuCylP&index=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrPQ...GuCylP&index=2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW-v...GuCylP&index=3

Trailer Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuEE3JlxGAM

Jim

Last edited by Guest; 03-13-2020, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Triplethreat

Four 6Volt batteries hooked up to provide 12 Volts will only give you 400 AH....not 800. Two 6 volt batteries hooked up in series equals 12 Volts, but the AH rating is still 200. Then you hook up the other two batteries the same way as the first two and that is another 200 AH. Those two "banks" of batteries are the connected in parallel with each other and now you have 400 AH total. Sorry to disappoint, but that's the way it works.
                Jeez. I knew that. Seriously I did. I must have been trying to justify all the weight?

Anyway, thanks. I'll quick change my signature.
                2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Two 6 volt batteries hooked up in series equals 12 Volts, but the AH rating is still 200. Then you hook up the other two batteries the same way as the first two and that is another 200 AH. Those two "banks" of batteries are the connected in parallel with each other and now you have 400 AH total.

Jeez. I knew that. Seriously I did. I must have been trying to justify all the weight?

Anyway, thanks. I'll quick change my signature.
                  Triplethreat

Aha. I just went to my battery spec-sheet so I can place an add on CraigsList for the 4 batteries. They're 4 ea. HUGE industrial sweeper batteries: EP-EVL16-400A-AM. Each 6V battery is 400 amp-hours. Two pairs of the 400 amp-hour series in parallel make 800 amp-hours.

I knew there was a reason I spent all that money! Just forgot to remember it .

-Steve
                  2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                  Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                  2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                  18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                  640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                  Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                  Somerset, WI

Comment

For those that are running Lithium batteries, I ran across this video of Will Prowse that is IMO his most valuable video. Its based on maximizing Lithium battery life.

I like to think of Lithium batteries as having the longest life while being kept away from both high and low states of charge, at temperatures that we ourselves find comfortable and to discharge or charge at levels of no higher than around 0.5C.

Unfortunately, todays chargers in general will not adjust Max and Min SOC and that's too bad since it needs to happen. Victron with their sophisticated controls can incorporate special charge limits while using their batteries and most likely while using other batteries with CAN communication such as the Trojan Trillium. Otherwise, I will need to base my charging on some manual operation while setting alarms on SOC with the Victron BMV712 Smart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf9N9zBgyB8

Jim
                    Last edited by howson; 03-22-2020, 07:28 PM. Reason: Added embedded video...

Comment

I like to think of Lithium batteries as having the longest life while being kept away from both high and low states of charge, at temperatures that we ourselves find comfortable and to discharge or charge at levels of no higher than around 0.5C.
                      That's a brain-bender of a video!

Battle Born's (BB) are rated at 1C. For those that are reading that don't know what that means: a 100aH BB can supply 100 amps for a length of time dependent on their rated capacity. In English, for a 100aH (aH="amp hour") battery that's 100 amps for one hour. Since I have four batteries in parallel, that means I could theoretically pull 400 amps for one hour. 400A from four 100aH BB's wired in parallel is still 1C.

To continue with the brain-bending math, with a Victron Multiplus 12/3000 inverter maxed out it will pull 250 amps of 12vDC from the batteries. (3000 watts / 12v = 250 amps which makes 25 amps of 120vAC.) 250 amps from 4 batteries in parallel is .625C (250/400=.625). Since it is very rare to run the Multiplus at full capacity, I'm speculating that with four batteries the real-world C I'm using is a near perfect match for the 3000W inverter. At least according to Will Prowse.

Do you agree with that conclusion or am I missing something?

Not much I can do about temperatures. I've got them as sheltered as they can get in a travel trailer. I'll depend on BB's BMS to protect themselves from temperature extremes.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard,

0.625C would result in your batteries lasting longer. Its important to remind folks that you can charge/discharge at 1C, operate your batteries from 100% SOC to the cutoff point of the BMS or operate batteries in high heat conditions but you most likely will not see 5000+ cycles. If we were to run our battery(s) from 75-25 SOC (I've always favored 80-20) additional life will be encountered where we need the charger manufactures to step up and deliver this capability as well as to monitor and adjust the rate of charge based on temperature. A storage setting would also be nice. High end systems like your Victron multiplus can do all this.

These concepts have been used in EVs for years, except the rate of charge/discharge on A grade auto cells can manage high C rates by having thermal control systems and different chemistry than our drop in batteries.

Folks should not be fearful of their expensive batteries failing but rather understand how to maximize their life span.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                        X