Powering up AC via inverter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering up AC via inverter

I'm not looking at using the inverter to run air conditioning. I'm looking at going with Lithium 12v with solar and want to have the ability to invert 12v DC to 120vAC when dry camping (rest area, etc). Is it possible to plug an inverter output into an AC outlet and back feed the AC plugs. I'm looking to be able to support a BiPAP, maybe the tv, DVD player or dish satellite. Right now, my shore power goes through a permanent EMS hardwired into the fuse box.
    I've done electrical work before but am a rookie with solar and putting an inverter into a TT.
    Last edited by Running from Gnats; 02-16-2020, 08:43 PM. Reason: Add not trying to use inverter to run air conditioning.
    2020 F-250 Lariat 2WD SuperCrew 6.7L, Blue Ox SwayPro hitch w/ 1000lb bars
    2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
    FMCA # 489460

Originally posted by Running from Gnats View Post
    I'm looking at going with Lithium 12v with solar and want to have the ability to invert 12v DC to 120vAC when dry camping (rest area, etc). Is it possible to plug an inverter output into an AC outlet and back feed the AC plugs. I'm looking to be able to support a BiPAP, maybe the tv, DVD player or dish satellite. Right now, my shore power goes through a permanent EMS hardwired into the fuse box.

I've done electrical work before but am a rookie with solar and putting an inverter into a TT.
    "Powering up AC by inverter" implies you want to run an air conditioner off of an inverter, as (by definition), an inverter converts 12vDC to 120vAC. From the context of your post, though, what I *think* is meant is you want the ability to generate 120vAC from your batteries ("off grid"). If I'm right you might want to edit the title of this thread as it could be misleading to those easily confused (like yours truly).

See this thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-in-a-315rlts (and the attached PDF in post 1) for a detailed discussion of what's in my trailer.

I'm not an electrician, but to do what you're suggesting ("back feed the AC plugs")--are you considering a "suicide plug"? The electricians here will probably pile on with a big fat "NO!" to that idea. At minimum a manual switch is required (as TucsonJim installed in his trailer). Here's his thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ique-solutions

-Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

There is an easy and safe way to power up all your 120VAC circuits via an inverter. I used to do this all the time before I permanently wired in a transfer swtich.

Step 1. Plug the adapter I'm linking to below into your shore power inlet.
      Step 2. Run an extension cord from your inverter to the shore power adapter.
      Step 3. (VERY IMPORTANT) - Turn off the converter/charger breaker in the breaker panel.
      Step 4. Turn on your inverter.

Note: If your EMS because of a ground fault error, you'll need to install an Edison plug into one of the inverter outlets in order to provide a bonded circuit. I believe you can also bypass some brands of EMS if this is an issue.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

"Powering up AC by inverter" implies you want to run an air conditioner off of an inverter, as (by definition), an inverter converts 12vDC to 120vAC. From the context of your post, though, what I *think* is meant is you want the ability to generate 120vAC from your batteries ("off grid"). If I'm right you might want to edit the title of this thread as it could be misleading to those easily confused (like yours truly).

See this thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-in-a-315rlts (and the attached PDF in post 1) for a detailed discussion of what's in my trailer.

I'm not an electrician, but to do what you're suggesting ("back feed the AC plugs")--are you considering a "suicide plug"? The electricians here will probably pile on with a big fat "NO!" to that idea. At minimum a manual switch is required (as TucsonJim installed in his trailer). Here's his thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ique-solutions

-Howard
        What I'm looking to do is run a few low wattage items if we stop at a rest area overnight (BiPap, TV, Dish or DVD player). The TV is for local weather, if we can get a signal, or the Weather Channel and CNN on Dish.

As for the AC, I've installed a Micro-Air Easy Start. That gives me the choice of using either a 2KW or 3.1KW inverter, either of which we can carry in the pickup for boondocking.
        2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
        Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
        FMCA # 489460

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
          There is an easy and safe way to power up all your 120VAC circuits via an inverter. I used to do this all the time before I permanently wired in a transfer swtich.

Step 1. Plug the adapter I'm linking to below into your shore power inlet.
          Step 2. Run an extension cord from your inverter to the shore power adapter.
          Step 3. (VERY IMPORTANT) - Turn off the converter/charger breaker in the breaker panel.
          Step 4. Turn on your inverter.

Note: If your EMS because of a ground fault error, you'll need to install an Edison plug into one of the inverter outlets in order to provide a bonded circuit. I believe you can also bypass some brands of EMS if this is an issue.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim
          Thanks for the suggestion. I assume step 3 is the so it doesn't go into a loop. I would also guess it would be best to turn off all other circuits we wouldn't need (microwave, electric element to hot water heater), I already have made an Edison plug due to my inverters needing one so the EMS doesn't block for a floating ground. And the EMS does have a bypass switch on the display box.

I'll have to give this a try.
          Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
          FMCA # 489460

Comment

Working...
          X