Li, battery monito, and 2024 GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Li, battery monito, and 2024 GM

So last weekend I pulled the camper for the first time with the new truck (still waiting to hit 5k miles before going too far) to get the trailer inspected for tags. I noticed during the week after returning that the battery was discharging. Did not think much of it, but noted and would check later as the converter (no Li) tends to charge then discharge varying about 5 amps or so from full charge. Note I pulled the camper on Sunday and it's now Saturday. Idle draw on the camper is under .5 amps (no mental note of actual draw but it was pretty low).

Watched the camper till Saturday and it was still discharging, so I decided to run a test with my new Hulkman Li compatible battery maintainer. I let the charger get after it at 3+ amps for 24 hrs, then flipped off the converter and did everything I could to pump the amp draw. Ran out all 3 slides every 12V accessory in the unit on etc for a few hours. Inside battery monitor still said full (unless running the 2 big slides in at the same time) maxed amp pull on the battery at 48 amps (clamp on measuring) and it was showing about 60% charge. Flipped converter back on and she's get after it at 28 amps charging.

SO what I figured, the truck through its 7 way plug with about 2 hrs connected to the truck and 1 hr of engine time is enough to bring the Li Battery up significantly from the converter charge voltage. This let the Li battery in the camper run and discharge down without getting low enough to kick the converter into charge mode.

ALSO note the battery monitor recognized the charge from the truck as the new 100% and started the count down from there. I did not reset it.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas
Working...
X