Inverter for a Samsung Refrigerator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter for a Samsung Refrigerator

I just took possession of a 2020 Solitude 390 RK-R with a residential fridge. When disconnected from shore power I assume the inverter should power the fridge as long as the remote switch is on. This is not happening. As soon as I disconnect from shore power the fridge power is off. Also, any idea where the factory installed the inverter? I doesn't appear to be around the batteries.

Make sure your battery cut off switch in the basement is on. The inverter for our Solitude 373FB-R was behind the basement wall mounted to the floor. Our Solitude had a button on the wall by the stairs to the bedroom to turn the inverter on. A light indicated the inverter was on. Not sure what this button looks like or where it's at in your model. Sorry.
    Last edited by bertschb; 02-20-2020, 02:35 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Judy View Post
      I just took possession of a 2020 Solitude 390 RK-R with a residential fridge. When disconnected from shore power I assume the inverter should power the fridge as long as the remote switch is on. This is not happening. As soon as I disconnect from shore power the fridge power is off. Also, any idea where the factory installed the inverter? I doesn't appear to be around the batteries.
      GDRV-Megan -- where is the inverter physically located in Judy's 390RK-R? Is it the one pictured below? (Pic taken from the parts lookup website.) Does Judy's trailer also have a Transfer Switch (see diagram at bottom of this post)?

Click image for larger version

Name:	inverter.JPG
Views:	2159
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	12925

Judy -- yes, the inverter *should* be powered by your battery if the battery disconnect is on. You might want to check the battery's voltage. I don't know for sure, but wouldn't be surprised if the battery voltage falls below a certain level that the inverter will refuse to operate.

On a recent factory tour all the inverters I spotted mounted near the ceiling of the front storage compartment (the one facing forward, or toward's the tow vehicle).

If it *is* the inverter pictured, check the GFCI on the inverter itself--maybe it popped? The manual for this is located under "Downloads" at https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/pr...ter-csw-series

Another possibility is the transfer switch has failed (if you unit has one--which it probably does):
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer Switch.JPG
Views:	2373
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	12926
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Judy View Post
        howson

We have 2 inverters for the 390RK. If it is a unit with a residential refer, which this unit does, it will have a 1000watt inverter and it’ll be located behind the pass through felt board. If it is a solar unit it will have a 2000watt inverter and it’ll be mounted in the ceiling of the gooseneck compartment.

Transfer switches are installed on units with generators.

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post

howson

We have 2 inverters for the 390RK. If it is a unit with a residential refer, which this unit does, it will have a 1000watt inverter and it’ll be located behind the pass through felt board. If it is a solar unit it will have a 2000watt inverter and it’ll be mounted in the ceiling of the gooseneck compartment.

Transfer switches are installed on units with generators.
          So the residential refrig will run off the RV's battery (through the 1000W inverter) without any intervention by the owner? I know next to nothing about how these are configured.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Judy

OK, so if I've got it right this time the refrigerator inverter is the WFCO 5110R. The manual is here: https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...10R-Manual.pdf

According to the manual: When 115 VAC utility power is applied to the WF-5110R Inverter through the Shore cord, 120 VAC will pass through the WF-5110R Inverter to appliances. Should utility power be cut off, the WF-5110R automatically switches to invert mode, providing clean 120 VAC to the appliances. When utility power is reapplied, the WF-5110R switches back to the run-through mode.

Just be aware of this limitation: The WF-5110R Inverter has a DC input range of 10.75-16 VDC (nominal). If the battery input should fall outside this range, the inverter will shut down to protect the circuitry.

I may have answered my own question, GDRV-Megan . But if there's anything the user must do to get the res to work off the inverter please chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              But if there's anything the user must do to get the res to work off the inverter please chime in.
              Howard, everything you said is correct. But, in my Solitude 373FB-R, you had to power up the inverter manually via the "hallway" wall switch for things to operate as you've described. If the inverter isn't on, the residential fridge won't run with shore power cut off. I know that sounds pretty obvious but some folks may not know they have to turn the inverter on.
              Brian & Kellie
              2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
              2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
              2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
              2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

Howard, everything you said is correct. But, in my Solitude 373FB-R, you had to power up the inverter manually via the "hallway" wall switch for things to operate as you've described. If the inverter isn't on, the residential fridge won't run with shore power cut off. I know that sounds pretty obvious but some folks may not know they have to turn the inverter on.
                And there is the "AHA!, GOTCHA!". Is that in the owner's manual for the Solitude?

Appreciate the post, Brian--I hope Judy sees this and looks for that hall switch.

GDRV-Megan -- with apologies for the zillion tags this afternoon, a confirmation of this information would be most appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

In my Solitude 373FB-R, you had to power up the inverter manually via the "hallway" wall switch for things to operate as you've described. If the inverter isn't on, the residential fridge won't run with shore power cut off.
                  Thanks for the first hand info, Brian. This is why this forum works!
                  It takes a village to raise a trailer.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

And there is the "AHA!, GOTCHA!". Is that in the owner's manual for the Solitude?

Appreciate the post, Brian--I hope Judy sees this and looks for that hall switch.

GDRV-Megan -- with apologies for the zillion tags this afternoon, a confirmation of this information would be most appreciated.
                    I have a 2018 Solitude 374TH. I found the inverter switch by accident (behind my recliner while looking for the tv remote I dropped lol). I looked in the manual for info on it and only found a reference that said it had a 1000w inverter built in. No instructions or even an explanation of why I had one. I emailed GD service and they told me it runs my Samsung refrigerator and to leave the switch on all the time in case the power goes out when I’m away. So I did. The next time the power went out the fridge and tv and ac cut off. After a couple of minutes the fridge powered on but not the tv or ac. When the compressor on the fridge powered off so did the fridge. 15 minutes later it powered back on . This process repeated until shore power came back on. I have never turned off the battery disconnect switch.

Should my my living room tv stay on like the fridge does iris my inverter only for the fridge??

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Purser View Post

I have a 2018 Solitude 374TH. I found the inverter switch by accident (behind my recliner while looking for the tv remote I dropped lol). I looked in the manual for info on it and only found a reference that said it had a 1000w inverter built in. No instructions or even an explanation of why I had one. I emailed GD service and they told me it runs my Samsung refrigerator and to leave the switch on all the time in case the power goes out when I’m away. So I did. The next time the power went out the fridge and tv and ac cut off. After a couple of minutes the fridge powered on but not the tv or ac. When the compressor on the fridge powered off so did the fridge. 15 minutes later it powered back on . This process repeated until shore power came back on. I have never turned off the battery disconnect switch.

Should my my living room tv stay on like the fridge does iris my inverter only for the fridge??
                      My guess is the inverter is only for the refrigerator.

Remember, to generate 1 amp of 120vAC the inverter must pull 10 amps of 12vDC from your battery. 2 amps of 120vAC requires 20 amps of 12vDC. 1:10 is a good rule of thumb. You'd be surprised how quickly an inverter can run down a battery--especially if relying on one standard RV battery.

Comment

Good info, thanks

Comment

How does the battery get charged. I have a inverter like mentioned above - it will not fire up - due to battery down to like 1 v. THe other battery for the slides is fully charged. How does this battery get charged??

Comment

Originally posted by kermitlong View Post
                            How does the battery get charged. I have a inverter like mentioned above - it will not fire up - due to battery down to like 1 v. THe other battery for the slides is fully charged. How does this battery get charged??
                            Your question doesn't make sense. First of all, what model and year RV do you have and how is it equipped? If you have two batteries, they are not wired separately - they are wired in parallel and both batteries will charge and discharge together. Also, if they are lead-acid batteries and one is down to 1 volt, it's probably toast. If you don't have solar or a generator, the batteries are charged by the on-board converter/charger when plugged into shore power. Tell us more and give us some specifics so we can better respond.

Rob
                            Rob & Laura
                            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                            2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                            (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Working...
                            X