No announcement yet.

RV Electrical panel annual maintenance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV Electrical panel annual maintenance?

Here is something I had no idea needed attention. It has to do with torquing screws (expensive tool) in the bars of the panel. Anyone ever do this maintenance annually?

https://youtu.be/JvJ2J2JvOJY
    Vivian
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
    Demco Recon

Beachcamper

Hi Vivian,

Good find ! A video definitely worth watching.
    I will check that all screws are tight, if I have the electrical panel open for some other reason, but it never occurred to me to make this a maintenance item.

With the way we bounce these rigs down the road and with a lot of solid or thick stranded copper wiring, this advice makes perfect sense.
    I do not have a torque screwdriver, but I can make sure that none of the screws are as loose as shown in the video.

One more thing to add to the annual maintenance list . . .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Beachcamper -- concur with Rob: good find! It had never occurred to me to check the panel screws. Plus now I have an excuse to buy another tool. I'm a sucker for tools and gadgets.

-Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hahaha! I thought you guys needed one more thing to do. Well I have a safety question. I will disconnect from shore power and disconnect my converter. Will just turning battery switch to off be sufficient or do I also have to disconnect the negative cables?
        Vivian
        2018 Reflection 303rls
        Demco Recon

Comment

Come on guys, you're looking for reasons to buy tools now. Yes check the torque. No you don't "need" the tool. Tighten the screw, then give it a nudge, with some common sense.
          Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
          2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
          2020 Momentum 351M
          2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
            Come on guys, you're looking for reasons to buy tools now. Yes check the torque. No you don't "need" the tool. Tighten the screw, then give it a nudge, with some common sense.
            Yep, you're right. Checked Amazon and that torque screwdriver is $100. I'll just make sure they are tight.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
              Hahaha! I thought you guys needed one more thing to do. Well I have a safety question. I will disconnect from shore power and disconnect my converter. Will just turning battery switch to off be sufficient or do I also have to disconnect the negative cables?
              What is the "safety" that you are trying to achieve . . . is this prior to tightening the screws being discussed?

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have done this a few times since new. When I installed the Progressive Dynamics hard wired surge protector I had to bring a new wire into the power panel. While doing this I had found a few loose screws (ok there might have been one working on this at the time) and ended up checking all of the screws in the panel. I had also noted at the time that when I had a new entrance and main panel put in the house my electrical inspector told me that after some use he suggested that I recheck the tightness of the screws in the panel. I found a few that needed a little but not a lot. I think with traveling these things down the road it may be more apt to rattle loose and if the screws are not properly tightened at the factory it may be a good idea to check these right after delivery.

Good find on the video. And remember to always make sure there is NO power present during this important maintenance check.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

A way to "calibrate" your screw driver hand to the 40 in-lb required is to borrow or buy ($20 Harbor Freight) a 1/4" drive torque wrench. Use a screwdriver bit to set the screws to slightly less than required torque and get the "feel" of how much additional twist of the screwdriver is required to "nudge" the screw as Curtis suggests. And you have a new torque wrench to add to your tool collection .

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I can count on zero fingers how many times an inspector has asked to check the torque in the panel itself. On VERY rare occasions I have heard (not witnessed first hand) that the inspector wanted to see the feeder lugs torqued, but in all the panel retrofits I've done I haven't even been asked to show torque values on the feeders.

I think if an inspector asked me about torque ratings on the breakers or neutral/ground bar, I'd look at him say, "You serious Clark?" Then we'd get a good laugh and he'd sign my inspection sheet. LOL
                    2020 Momentum 351M
                    2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

What is the "safety" that you are trying to achieve . . . is this prior to tightening the screws being discussed?

Rob
                      Trying to prevent being electrocuted while doing this maintenance.๐Ÿ˜Š
                      Vivian
                      2018 Reflection 303rls
                      Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Yep, you're right. Checked Amazon and that torque screwdriver is $100. I'll just make sure they are tight.
                        Howson, here is an article by Mike Sokol and his recommendation for a $54 one.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...al-tightening/

Vivian
                        2018 Reflection 303rls
                        Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post

Trying to prevent being electrocuted while doing this maintenance.๐Ÿ˜Š
                          Disconnecting shore power will remove all 120V power (assuming that you don't have an inverter).
                          Turning off the OE 12V switch "should" remove all battery power from the panel, but to be absolutely sure, remove the negative cable from the battery.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Beachcamper

Went out and checked my 315RLTS' panel. As you can see, the connections are different from what was shown in the video (all of the AC connections use a square "Robertson" screw). I found one ground that took 1/4 turn, but I wouldn't classify it as "loose". I marked it with a large red arrow.

The other arrow (with the !) is to highlight an area easily overlooked. I'm not sure, but I suspect these are all negative 12v connections. (Someone will set me straight if that's incorrect.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	loose.JPG
Views:	763
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	12989

Comment

Those are 12v - . That's why it's separated from the 120v with the divider.
                              2020 Momentum 351M
                              2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
                              X