No announcement yet.

RV Electrical panel annual maintenance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some may be tempted into buying a standard in-lb torque wrench but this tool would be used at the low end of the scale where the actual torque could be off. Since some boards can be rather fragile, the torqueing screw driver would be the best choice. The $54.00 model looks reasonable.
    This is an excellent post where I will certainly check the torque values in my panel.

Jim

Comment

I will check and snug up any loose connections. Not going to buy the tool for now.
      Vivian
      2018 Reflection 303rls
      Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
      Demco Recon

Comment

I can't believe I actually have a tool that you guys don't have!

I use this one:
        https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Accur...SIN=B0012AXR4S

I'll make sure to check my panel when the RV arrives.
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

LOL you guys are the tinkeringest bunch I've ever seen ( is that a word?) This will be something I add to my to do list, guess I'll retire sooner than planned so I can work on my rolling home improvement project!
          Jeff
          2019 Solitude 375 RES
          2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by Txfivver View Post
            LOL you guys are the tinkeringest bunch I've ever seen ( is that a word?) This will be something I add to my to do list, guess I'll retire sooner than planned so I can work on my rolling home improvement project!
            Yep--I call mine "POW". Which is short for "Project on Wheels".
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Ok guys, here’s another opinion on torquing main and branch circuit connections. I was an electrician for many years before becoming a inspector (government facilities)and always did the “tighten until it squeeked technique....then I had an opportunity to attend a seminar put on by a breaker manufacturer and they demonstrated using a known load the differences in current and temperatures at the terminals of conductors which had been torqued at different settings. Roque really did make a difference! A big surprise to me was that if over tightened the wire could be flattened and temp and amperage would increase! Yeah, electricians hated me when I required that all connections were torqued to the manufacturer’s recommendation as noted on their installation instructions clearly spelled out on the breaker and panel guts.
              Do I torque my own panel, yes until it squeaks!
              Keith and Diane
              2014 Reflection 337 RLS
              2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

Spotted a post today (on Facebook) that reminded me of this thread so "bumping" it so hopefully our new members see it.

The consensus of the commenters on the Facebook post (picture below) of what caused the burnt wires was 1) loose wires/connectors; 2) multiple wires ganged into on slot. (I don't know if having more than one neutral in a slot is bad or not--I'm not an electrician.)

Here's what the owner found while looking for the cause of a dead circuit:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Not Good 2.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	34174

Checking the tightness of these connectors should be on your "must do" list. I looked in a random WFCO manual to validate that there is indeed a torque value associated with these connectors. (I don't use a torque wrench--I use the "good and tight" method.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	34175

Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson Howard - Looking back through this thread, something caught my eye. I have a question about a post you made above. I'm attaching your photo below. I'm hoping the area circled in blue is not a "butt" connector.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Howard electrical box.jpg Views:	0 Size:	173.5 KB ID:	34186
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Somehow, I missed this entire thread when it was first active. While I had missed it, I didn’t miss it when Mike Sokol wrote about it. I had added it to my list of things that I check. I have it broken down to each month, and multiple listings for things that occur more than once a year. I put this one on the November list, and it came up today. I just completed it this afternoon.

I already had the torque screwdriver, as I got it for mounting rifle scopes. I hadn’t checked any of the screws up until today, and I was suprised to find several that were out of range. Not really loose, just not tightened to spec. Overall, probably about 20% turned up to 1/4 of a turn before the screwdriver popped, indicating that it was now properly set.
                    Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
                    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
                    2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
                    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
                    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                      I'm hoping the area circled in blue is not a "butt" connector.
                      I don't think it is. If it is there it -wasn't added by me, that I know for sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X