GFCI Tripping!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFCI Tripping!!

I have a brand new 2109 Momentum G28 that the GFCI outlet located in the bathroom of the TT constantly trips? It will trip immediately when shore power is plugged in or when the generator starts up. After power is to the unit the GFCI will reset but after a short period will trip again. It doesn't matter if appliance are on or off/plugged in down stream of GFCI. I have checked the polarity at all the outlets within the GFCI breaker, checked grounds at the battery and generator, tired a different 30amp cord, discontented batteries and looked for any visual bare or switched wires. I even tried turning off all breakers in the TT and disconnected batteries then plugging into a GFCI in my garage and garage GFCI trips it instantly with no reset.

The TT is still under warranty but am hesitant to take it to the dealer as I have owned the trailer for 3 months and the dealer has had it for 2 of those months to replace a leaking fresh water tank from the factory. I even diagnosed and found the leak for them so all they had to do is replace it. Can't imagine how long they will have it if they actually have to work!

So any suggestions would be great!
    Thanks

Wow Barstow. Welcome to the forum. This may be a tough one to figure out, but there are a lot of people on here with tech backgrounds and I'm sure we can help you work through it.

My first thought is a ground problem at the breaker panel. I'd disconnect from shore power, and then check each and every neutral, ground and power connection at the panel for the proper torque. This thread that was posted last week goes into more detail:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...al-maintenance

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Barstow853
      Have you considered replacing the GFCI outlet? A GFCI compares current going in to current coming out of a circuit. If there is a difference it shuts off. Perhaps the one you have is too sensitive to minor fluctuations?

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Barstow853
        Have you considered replacing the GFCI outlet? A GFCI compares current going in to current coming out of a circuit. If there is a difference it shuts off. Perhaps the one you have is too sensitive to minor fluctuations?

Rob
        Rob. He said it was also tripping the GFCI in the garage. Would a bad GFCI outlet in the RV cause that?

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I would check the plug on the outside of the trailer where the shore power is connected. Remove the plug from the wall and inspect the wires that are connected. This will have to be resealed when re-installed but may be where the problem is. When the strip the wire connecting this plug to the power center they like to use a utility knife and cut the whole way thru all of the coatings. My other reasoning for this is it is stated that it trips another GFCI in the garage , not in the RV , this sounds like a ground short problem, also may be in the power center as Jim has noted above.
          Another thought , depending on where the power comes into the RV in relation to the furnace, if it in the same area and you have ran the furnace it may have melted the incoming shore power wire, mine is pretty close in our unit.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Given he used a GFIC breaker to test (I am assuming that is the hand held one with the three lights) he may have an intermittent neutral ground fault (but the tester should have picked that up). With all power off use an ohm meter at each plug and check for any resistance between plug openings. There should be none. You can also check this at the panel. Everyone has given you good advice so far. If you cant find the problem I would suggest calling GD customer service and getting permission to have a qualified licensed electrician look at it. Ill bet a cup of coffee your dealer does not have one. The other thing is with power off remove each plug and inspect for nicked or loose wiring or construction debris that may be in the plug or plug housing.

Hope this helps
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Read of some rigs with onboard generator and ATS having the Generator & AC/DC Panel Neutrals bonded together in the ATS causing GFCI tripping. That was when plugging the rig into house GFCI.
              I think this was on a Momentum 21G and GD had a document for a fix.
              Last edited by gbkims; 03-02-2020, 01:45 PM.
              Gene and Kim
              2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
              2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Rob. He said it was also tripping the GFCI in the garage. Would a bad GFCI outlet in the RV cause that?

Jim
                Hi guys,

I mis-read the OP info that the fault was also opening a different GFCI at the garage power source. (Whoops )

A GFCI monitors things "downstream" from it. Since both GFCIs are popping, I would concentrate investigation on outlets and connections downstream from the RV bathroom GFCI. This GFCI would not "see" a fault upstream from it. Power cord connection, main panel, etc. The GFCI at the garage power source would also see a fault downstream from the RV GFCI.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am going to do some more digging over the next few nights and I will let you know what I come up with.
                  Thanks Again
                  Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi guys,

I mis-read the OP info that the fault was also opening a different GFCI at the garage power source. (Whoops )

A GFCI monitors things "downstream" from it. Since both GFCIs are popping, I would concentrate investigation on outlets and connections downstream from the RV bathroom GFCI. This GFCI would not "see" a fault upstream from it. Power cord connection, main panel, etc. The GFCI at the garage power source would also see a fault downstream from the RV GFCI.

Rob
                    "After power is to the unit the GFCI will reset but after a short period will trip again"

Jesse indicates it does this with nothing plugged in downstream. To trip, power is definitely going somewhere. My guess as the line heats up with power, it shorts. Jessy if you can also inspect the wiring for a staple through it. A short of this type should show up when you ohm the outlets.

Good luck
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Alright, During all this craziness I have solved one of the two issues

The GFCI in the trailer bathroom was tripping because the Load & Line wires were crossed on the back of the outlet. I am kind of shocked the outlet would hold as long as it did before tripping! Either way it was an easy fix.

As for the second issue of trailer tripping the GFCI outlet on the house/garage. I have checked the connections on the back of the exterior 30amp Furion plug-in and all look good. I have not found the ATS yet since I have an on board generator to check if the neutral and ground are bonded together. Any suggestions were it might be?

Again thanks for everyone's input!

Comment

Originally posted by Barstow853 View Post
                        I have not found the ATS yet since I have an on board generator to check if the neutral and ground are bonded together. Any suggestions were it might be?
                        I'd look where the Power Distribution Panel and Converter are located in your 28G. Interestingly they are in the very forward, street side area of the camper. It looks like the only access is from within the bedroom?

From reading your posts it sounds like you're familiar with working around electricity, but I'll repeat my familiar refrain to use caution if you choose to take a look in this area. I suggest disconnecting from shore power and also disconnecting the negative side of the battery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	28G.JPG
Views:	2567
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	15676
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have experienced the same issues with a momentum 21g tripping the shore power gfci. Everywhere I read people say there’s a fix and a GD document . I can’t find these anywhere. And during a GD phone call they said they would look into it and get back to me. Any info on the fix would be appreciated. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Firekid92 View Post
                            I have experienced the same issues with a momentum 21g tripping the shore power gfci. Everywhere I read people say there’s a fix and a GD document . I can’t find these anywhere. And during a GD phone call they said they would look into it and get back to me. Any info on the fix would be appreciated. Thanks
                            Firekid92--noted that was your first post, so please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members when you get a chance.

I haven't heard of an issue or read a technical bulletin from GD on this topic, but I'll ping our Momentum rep here who can give us an authoritative answer.

I also noted your VIN is not in your profile (directions are in the Welcome Letter). If the GD rep wants to reach out to you she'll need that info before she can respond.

GDRV-Megan -- is there a GD technical bulletin or some other related information regarding GFCI's tripping on Momentum trailers that you can share here?

Howard
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Firekid92--noted that was your first post, so please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members when you get a chance.

I haven't heard of an issue or read a technical bulletin from GD on this topic, but I'll ping our Momentum rep here who can give us an authoritative answer.

I also noted your VIN is not in your profile (directions are in the Welcome Letter). If the GD rep wants to reach out to you she'll need that info before she can respond.

GDRV-Megan -- is there a GD technical bulletin or some other related information regarding GFCI's tripping on Momentum trailers that you can share here?

Howard
                              I'm sorry, but no... we don't have anything like this that can be posted here. I would recommend reaching out to our customer service dept directly so they can confirm the issue and we can advise on how to proceed from that point. They can be reached at customerservice@granddesignrv.com or 574-825-9679.

Comment

Working...
                              X