Wiring for cpap machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring for cpap machine

what is the best way to wire my 2020 Imagine so I can use my CPAP machine while camping in a non electric camp ground. Everything is still stock on my trailer.

Originally posted by Don G View Post
    what is the best way to wire my 2020 Imagine so I can use my CPAP machine while camping in a non electric camp ground. Everything is still stock on my trailer.
    Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum, Don G.

What model Imagine do you have?

I assume you want the power in the bedroom? (Duh, huh?)

I hope you'll take a moment and fill out your signature line. Instructions are here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...-to-your-posts
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Don, welcome.

You'll have to decide - based partly on what model of CPAP machine you have - whether you want to run the CPAP machine on 12VDC (if yours will support that) or on 120VAC from an inverter.

The former is pretty straightforward IF your machine can run off 12 volts DC. You may have to buy an adapter kit from the CPAP machine manufacturer to make that possible. Then you'll have to install fused 12V wiring from a circuit on your breaker panel or from some other convenient terminal from which you can "steal" 12V power. You'll likely terminate that wiring with a cigarette-lighter socket to make it easy to plug in the CPAP machine's power cord.

If your machine operates only on AC power then you'll need to buy and install an "inverter". The inverter will take 12V power from the battery and serve 120V AC power to your machine. Some inverters include standard AC outlets on the inverter itself so you can just plug your CPAP into the outlet. The inverter would have to be wired into your trailer's 12V system in a way that allowed it to get all the 12V power it might need (especially if it might get used for something other than your CPAP machine). This approach requires a bit more thought and knowledge, but there are people here that can advise if you choose this route.

Check the power requirement of your CPAP machine; the information should be available in the machine's manual or online, in the specifications. Modern CPAP machines can consume roughly 100 watts of power if humidifier tank and hose heaters are used. That means they'll draw about one amp of current at 120VAC and a little over eight amps of current at 12VDC - easy to supply with appropriately-sized wire and fuses. However some older machines used more power, enough that the circuit you'll be adding would need to be robustly-built with heavier-duty wiring to reduce losses in the wiring.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by boyscout; 03-10-2020, 07:16 PM.
      Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

I don't use a CPAP but users report turning off the heater saves a ton of battery.
        2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

Don - welcome to the forum. I wired my CPAP directly from the battery through a separate fuse block (two separate runs to each side of bed). You can tap into the existing 12V wiring, but there is a good chance it will overload, especially if you use the heater (search for that thread). I installed 12V power point plugs and use the 12V power cord adapter to run the DW's and mine. I posted a full write up over at the other place. I thought I had posted my method here, but cant find it. I used marine grade wiring. I have pictures of my install, but need to resize them to post here.
          Hope this helps
          Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith thanks for the info. I will try and locate your other post.

Don

Comment

Boy Scout - thanks for the info. I have a new resmed airsense 10 unit. Looks like typical power consumption is 53w with peak at 104w The AC input range is 100-240V 50-60 Hz 1.0-1.5A (class ll). I am sorry I not real sure what all that means. Can you tell me what inverter I would need from this info..... Thanks Don

Comment

Don I have the same unit and the output on the power converter is 24 VDC I looked on amazon and found a adapter for the 10 that runs off of 12 volt I am experimenting with a doubler to run mine still working hope to have it done soon at least before the rally in Indiana.
                Tom & Janice
                2013 F350 DRW Long Bed with B&W Companion
                2018 Solitude 375RES-R with 8K IS and Disk

Comment

FWIW: I'm going to test out my Cen-Tech 5 in 1 Power Pack to see how it does. The Harbor Freight item number is 62747. 18Ah sealed batt, with 200w inverter, peak 400w, cont 200w. Two 110 outlets.
                  I'll report back if it runs my CPAP and, if so, for how long. I see the comment from Tom regarding the hope to have it done before rally. I'll recheck the provided rally info again but I thought that all sites
                  provided electric and recommended to bring 50 feet of elec hookup and a dogbone or two. This is by memory only, I'll check again tomorrow.
                  Dave and Sue
                  2020 GD 2250RK
                  2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                  Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                  GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                  SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Boy Scout - thanks for the info. I have a new resmed airsense 10 unit. Looks like typical power consumption is 53w with peak at 104w The AC input range is 100-240V 50-60 Hz 1.0-1.5A (class ll). I am sorry I not real sure what all that means. Can you tell me what inverter I would need from this info..... Thanks Don
                    Don - just call your equipment provider, Every brand that I have ever owned has a 12V power cord available. Ask for one that plugs into a 12V power point plug. One came with my Resperonics unit. DO NOT and I say this in earnest - use an inverter to provide 110 from 12V. These CPAP units are very sensitive to correct 110 voltage which the 110 power cord converts to 24V. You would need a good pure sign wave unit. Just go with the 12V plug and voltage adapter (brick in plug wire) from the unit maker.

Hope this helps

PS I sent you a PM

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Don, that's exactly the machine I have. It is less expensive and easier (on you, on your machine, and on your trailer battery) to buy the 12V adapter kit for it than it is to buy and install an inverter for it.

You need only get 12-volt power from a strong source in your trailer, run a fused pair of wires of at LEAST 12ga (10ga or 8ga would be better and be REQUIRED for a run of more than a few feet) up near your bed, and attach a cigarette-lighter type socket to the end of them. The Resmed adapter kit will plug directly into that socket.

If you need it, ask here for advice about how best to select your source of power and how to route your new circuit to your bed. I don't know the Imagine trailers at all and don't want to make guesses for you.

Good luck!
                      Last edited by boyscout; 03-12-2020, 11:55 AM.
                      Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

thanks everyone for the info

Comment

thanks everyone for the info
                          I have an Imagine 2150rb and the same CPAP machine as you so I thought I would add some of my experiences to your situation. I, for the past 14 years (multiple trailers), have gone the route of adding a 12v outlet next to the bed and used either a 12v power cord made for the CPAP or used a small inverter to plug into. Here is a link to the 12v cord I bought for my CPAP. I found that at least 2 batteries were needed when dry camping. After using my Imagine for a little over a year, I've found that it is best to direct wire the 12v outlet to the batteries. Because the pass-through is right behind the bed stand, it is not too difficult to run the wires in a way that they are hidden and protected. I can give you more detail on this if you are interested. The problem I've had with this is approach is that the Imagine's battery charging system does lend itself to quick charging your batteries so they can both power the trailer systems and your CPAP. One other possible solution to power your CPAP would be a Lithium based battery power supply for CPAPs. They can power your machine for 2 - 4 nights without recharging.
                          Norm & Karla
                          2019 Imagine 2150rb
                          2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
                          2016 - 2018 Hobie Kayaks

Comment

Folks,
                            I need to power 2 C-PAPs (mine and my wife both have to use them) when we are dry camping. They are identical RESMED AirSense 10s. Mine has a heated hose. The output on the power adapter brick says 24 volts 3.74 amps. 00

What I have done in past, when boondocking, is run our 3000 watt generator inverter. But it is a waste of gas. And it makes some noise, which nobody likes.

Assuming I go the 12 volt route using two of these things:
                            HTML Code:
                            https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P6H994Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                            , and wire them each directly to the battery with a 12 volt outlet:

What will it take to run two of these things?
                            Will two of these things run all night off of one battery?
                            Keep in mind I do have the generator and car to recharge each day.

2019 Imagine XLS 18RBE
                            Doug&Patti
                            Last edited by Dadeo6472; 03-14-2020, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
                              I need to power 2 C-PAPs (mine and my wife both have to use them) when we are dry camping. They are identical RESMED AirSense 10s. Mine has a heated hose. The output on the power adapter brick says 24 volts 3.74 amps. Assuming I go the 12 volt route using two of these things:
                              HTML Code:
                              https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P6H994Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                              , and wire them each directly to the battery with a 12 volt outlet:

What will it take to run two of these things?
                              Will two of these things run all night off of one battery?
                              Keep in mind I do have the generator and car to recharge each day.
                              EDIT: Oregon Fun-Guy has posted a link, in a message further down this thread, to a Resmed supplementary document about battery requirements. The document shows that typical power requirements of the Resmed machines is considerably lower than the maximum specified in the manual, even when using the heaters. My estimates below should be discounted.

Doug it's best to guess deliberately-high about what you need, to avoid unpleasant surprises later, so I'll *guess* that when your and your wife's machines are running you need to support 20 amps per hour of current demand... quite a bit. Actual is probably a bit less, but I'd plan for 20 amps.

A single typical dealer-installed 12V battery with about 80 amp-hours of capacity should be asked for at most about half of its rated capacity - 50%, or 40 amp-hours - to avoid serious damage to the battery. Even 50% drain is pushing it hard and the battery won't last.

Both of you sleeping for just two hours could consume that 40 amp-hours half-capacity of the battery; it'll be all the power you can get. Both of you sleeping for seven hours would require about 140 amp/hours from your battery system.

If you're rich you're a candidate for at *least* two 100-amp lithium batteries. They can be drained deeply without hurting them, so two batteries in parallel with a combined capacity of 200 amp-hours will support both of your CPAP machines if they're topped off when you go to bed for seven hours. They will also recharge quickly enough that you can use them the next night without having to run your generator much of the day. Finally they should last quite a bit longer, even working hard, than other battery alternatives. However they and the new converter you should install to charge them efficiently would make a big dent in $2,000.

If it's possible for you that's the way to go but if not...

For roughly $400 you can get a couple of new 6-volt golf cart batteries and connect them as one 12-volt battery - a couple of new Trojan T-105 batteries for example. I've been charging mine with the OEM converter for years, not ideal but not apparently damaging them much either. Those batteries combined have a rated 12V capacity of 225 amp-hours. The pair would probably survive your nightly demand for a decent while since they can be discharged more than many other lead-acid batteries, but you'd be pushing them quite hard (shortening their life) using them like that every day. Four of the batteries would be better as it would be less hard on the batteries (not draining them so far each night).

Whether you had two or four they'd take long hours every day to recharge. I can only guess at that since I don't do it, but I'd *guess* you'd be running a generator for at least four hours every day - maybe someone who knows more will chime in. You certainly would NOT be recharging with your truck/car at the 8-10 amps it probably provides; you'd need to have it running almost all the time to recharge!

The golf cart batteries are heavy too, much heavier than lithium, which might be another consideration for safe towing. With a box to hold them, two weigh about 125 pounds and four weigh double that. A couple of lithiums would be under 60 pounds.

So, if you can afford it, two or three 100-amp lithiums and a lithium-appropriate replacement for your trailer's converter is the best way to go.

Hope this helps.
                              Last edited by boyscout; 03-25-2020, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X