Wiring for cpap machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

need to support 20 amps per hour of current demand... quite a bit. Actual is probably a bit less, but I'd plan for 20 amps.
    Dadeo6472 Doug, The amount of power you will need is dependant on the air pressure setting you have and the type of heated hose you have. Resmed has developed a document that gives a more accurate estimate of your actual set up. Here is a link to the page. (see page 7). An example of the calculation would be 12v amp hours from the table times number of hours of sleep times the number of machines, or 4.18 amp hours X 8 hours of sleep X 2 machines = 66.88 amp hours per night.

Another battery solution would be to use a battery pack made for powering CPAPs. An example of this type of equipment is found here. There are many other brands of these battery packs. I would suggest calling the customer service people at the example as recommended by a trusted information source.
    Norm & Karla
    2019 Imagine 2150rb
    2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
    2016 - 2018 Hobie Kayaks

Comment

From the looks of the RESMED documentation it looks like we need to swap up out our deep cycle battery for two high quality deep cycle batteries when we are boondocked overnight on a long trip. I can recharge them either by using the 3000 watt generator for a few hours or by driving 8 hours. This looks doable, since I have the generator I can always use that to recharge the batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
        I can recharge them either by using the 3000 watt generator for a few hours or by driving 8 hours.
        Sounds like a workable plan. One thing I considered doing for charging the batteries is to turn the battery disconnect to off and running a separate power cord from the generator to a battery charger to charge the batteries. The battery charger could put more of a charge into the batteries faster than your trailer's converter will put in. Your generator has enough power to run both the trailer and a separate charger. When you are through charging batteries turn the disconnect switch back on. I found that the newer battery chargers are built for three stage charging. I have a little NOCO 10 amp charger that works well for this.

Norm
        Norm & Karla
        2019 Imagine 2150rb
        2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
        2016 - 2018 Hobie Kayaks

Comment

Originally posted by Oregon Fun-Guy View Post
          Resmed has developed a document that gives a more accurate estimate of your actual set up. Here is a link to the page. (see page 7). An example of the calculation would be 12v amp hours from the table times number of hours of sleep times the number of machines, or 4.18 amp hours X 8 hours of sleep X 2 machines = 66.88 amp hours per night.
          Thanks Norm, just looked at that document, very helpful. I guessed above at @Daddeo6472 power requirement based on the 104 watts max specified in the user manual. Typical use is WAY less - future readers should discount my advice above and download the manual Norm has linked.
          Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Some thoughts on how much battery capacity you need to support this . . .

If you are using lead/acid batteries (doesn't matter if they are flooded or AGM) you should size the bank such that you can meet you overnight requirements with 30% of their rated capacity. The reason for this is that discharging these batteries below 50% will damage them and charging above 80% takes a long time (meaning a lot of generator run time). You cannot force a lead/acid battery to absorb charge faster than its natural rate. Between 50% and 80% is the bulk charge phase where recharge is accepted quickly.

So . . . if you have two 6V batteries in series to make 12V, the capacity is not doubled, but stays at the capacity (in amp hrs) of one of the batteries. Probably about 220 Ah for good batteries. 220 x (80%-50%) = 66 Ah.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
            X