Comprehensive Electrical Diagram Showing 315RLTS & F-350 Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Howard,
    I just realized you removed Smart Phase Selector.
    Did you get a hold of AM Solar for any help? I have a new one to install for my 31MB and I am concerned after reading your posts.

As always, thank you for your hard work.

Edward
    2020 Reflection 31MB 2020 Ram 3500 with Andersen Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by EdwardK View Post
      Hello Howard,
      I just realized you removed Smart Phase Selector.
      Did you get a hold of AM Solar for any help? I have a new one to install for my 31MB and I am concerned after reading your posts.

As always, thank you for your hard work.

Edward
      I am going to jump in for Howard here because I think he is tied up right now.

My understanding is he was already it was unnecessary and was thinking of a way to remove it. Since he was already considering it when it failed he went ahead and removed it. I do not think he reached out to AM Solar, but given how new it was I am sure they would have replaced it.

When I did my install I went without one since they were on backorder, and just have one side of my panel tied to the inverter. This works for me as I only have two AC units, and most of my loads are below the 50 amps each phase can handle. I keep my fireplace and electric HWH (when I still had one) as well as the factory converter on the other phase since I will never need them on the inverter.

If I had it to do over again I would consider the new version of the MultiPlus that will transfer both phases (but still only invert one).

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
        If I had it to do over again I would consider the new version of the MultiPlus that will transfer both phases (but still only invert one).
        Thanks, Neil--you're spot on with the response.

EdwardK I would go with the new Multiplus, too. That would eliminate the manual switch in my setup, too.

I'll go so far as to say Victron's new Multiplus makes AMSolar's SPS obsolete.

I believe bertschb has a lock on forum bragging rights for the new Victron Multiplus--he may be able to answer any questions should you have them.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

If the engineer has any "what was he thinking!" reactions I'd very much appreciate reading them.
          "What were you thinking" - Howard?

This is absolutely fantastic. I can't imagine the hours you have invested in this. I really like your adding the truck wiring in. Now I understand your DC-DC set up and how it all ties together. Will be one of the first upgrades to my new truck.

I am disappointed in one thing though - you have not found a use for the other 4 up-fitter switches yet.....or have you?......Just kidding on this.

Thanks Keith

BTW - can you do my comprehensive diagram next week? ...........I know - go back to my corner
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Darn it. It is too late, I already purchased Victron Multiplus a while ago and I was too lazy to install yet.
            I will have to stick with what I have and go from there.
            I will come back for more questions later.
            As always, thank you all for your replies.

Edward
            2020 Reflection 31MB 2020 Ram 3500 with Andersen Hitch

Comment

EdwardK A fellow 31MB owner that happens to have a AM Solar SPS installed! I actually had the faceplate off today inspecting it for damage and to re-tighten all the posts. I wasn't able to find anything like what occurred to howson SPS.

Overall I'm happy with it as when we were shopping for solutions to run both legs the only options I found was (1) Manual switch, (2) Two inverters in parallel (too pricey) or a non-Victron inverter (like the Victron BT integration). Only qualm is that sometimes there is a noticeable humming noise coming from it however it doesn't happen all the time.

Put me in the camp that wished I knew and could have waited for the unit that has dual 50amp passthru. Of course I'm also mad that I didn't know that Ford was bringing a 7.3 Gasser. Oh well that happens.

This solar setup has served us well for a year and has allowed us to boondock in most of the West so I'm not too distraught about it.
              Last edited by dgerfan; 07-21-2021, 01:12 PM.
              2020 Reflection 31MB
              2017 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7

2019 Ford F-250 STX Gas(Retired due to inability to slow down on steep downhill grades)

Comment

Diagram, links, and presentation in post 1 updated to reflect current configuration. (There were a lot of changes I hadn't incorporated!)

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson Wow, that is nerd level detail

Very impressed
                  Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
                  X