Lights Flickering when water pump runs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights Flickering when water pump runs

Hi. I couldn't find a thread on lights flickering/blinking, so here's our issue. We have a new 2020 Solitude 310GK-R on it's maiden voyage.

The main interior lights (switch on the main panel) flicker when the water pump cycles on. The DS flood and porch light also appear to flicker when the pump kicks on, but less obvious. These are all on the main control panel. The other lights, all on their own switches do not appear to flicker. We are on shore power and the power monitor does not indicate any issues.

I presume this is due low voltage, possibly due to a loose connection from the trip from TX to NE. I don't know the converter capacity or various circuit sizes.

Has anyone else observed this issue, or a similar one, to suggest where to start troubleshooting. We are in the RV in cold, wet Nebraska.

Thanks!
    RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK-R
    TV: 2020 GMC 3500 DRW

Originally posted by swmurray View Post
    Hi. I couldn't find a thread on lights flickering/blinking, so here's our issue. We have a new 2020 Solitude 310GK-R on it's maiden voyage.

The main interior lights (switch on the main panel) flicker when the water pump cycles on. The DS flood and porch light also appear to flicker when the pump kicks on, but less obvious. These are all on the main control panel. The other lights, all on their own switches do not appear to flicker. We are on shore power and the power monitor does not indicate any issues.

I presume this is due low voltage, possibly due to a loose connection from the trip from TX to NE. I don't know the converter capacity or various circuit sizes.

Has anyone else observed this issue, or a similar one, to suggest where to start troubleshooting. We are in the RV in cold, wet Nebraska.

Thanks!
    I'd suspect "noise" on the ground connection associated with that circuit which is introduced by the pump's motor. The LED lights in your camper are probably like mine and are made by Facon. The LED has a "driver" that is susceptible to noise. (Did you see this recent thread? https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-repair-video?)

I don't know for certain that this suggestion will fix the issue, but what I'd try is isolating the ground (return) off the pump from the rest of the circuit.

Please don't be discouraged since this is your first trip with your new camper--it is not unusual to have to shake out a few issues at the beginning of ownership. (Not defending GD, just stating the reality of RV ownership.)

Inspired by others such as my fellow moderator TucsonJim , I moved all of the grounds from the OEM configuration to a single stud post. Pics below should give you an idea.

Howard

Original OEM configuration.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	OEM.JPG Views:	0 Size:	242.3 KB ID:	14808

Grounds are now crimped to their own connectors and attached to a Fastronix 3/8" Stainless Steel Single Stud Power and Ground Junction Block. (I have several more grounds than normal due to additions to my setup.)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200306_102401 (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	147.3 KB ID:	14807
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Appreciate the info. Since all eight lights are flickering together I'm presuming it's at a spot that is common to the entire light circuit, or pump circuit.
      We have a winter storm warning in effect for tomorrow, so will troubleshoot further when the weather improves ;-)
      RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK-R
      TV: 2020 GMC 3500 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by swmurray View Post
        Appreciate the info. Since all eight lights are flickering together I'm presuming it's at a spot that is common to the entire light circuit, or pump circuit.
        We have a winter storm warning in effect for tomorrow, so will troubleshoot further when the weather improves ;-)
        We have the same problem with our Solitude. All the lights controlled through the main control panel share the same 12 V circuit as the water pump, When the pump runs, it causes a voltage drop which causes the lights to flicker. Others have used a relay to isolate the water pump to it's own feed. I don't like the idea of a relay constantly energized so I plan to move the pump onto its own dedicated circuit.
        -Rob-
        -
        Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
        2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
        2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
        Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

My 2020 Solitude 310 GK had the exact same issue of flickering lights with the water pump on.
          Dealership tried the dedicated "new" power line with larger gauge wire. That did not improve the flicker.
          I also tried the relay solution.....it improved the flickering lights but did not solve the flickering.
          Today I replaced the water pump.....(still keeping the relay) and that has resolved the flickering lights.
          So keep in mind your solution may be "other than"..... the dedicated "new" power line or the relay solution.

Ken & Tammy
          2020 Solitude 310GK
          2017 Ram Longhorn 4x4 DRW LB with Hensley TS3

Comment

RV4FUN
            Hi Ken & Tammy,

Thanks for the follow-up on how you completely solved this problem. This adds to our collective forum database on how to fix these issues.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I had the issue on our Imagine. My fix was to run a heavier ground wire to the hookup center where the pump is located (needed it for solar and upgraded converter anyways), and also add an automotive 12V accessory relay to the pump circuit.
              2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

What I haven't seen in this thread is documentation showing the voltage drop with the pump running in the OEM configuration. I still suspect noise generated by the pump motor is what is actually causing the lights to flicker.

This is a similar problem to the TV issue some have when the bathroom fan is running--it's not about the lack of the battery's capacity to supply power ("voltage drop") but about the noise generated by a motor getting on the DC circuit which then causes chaos with other components that do not have the compensation ("filter") circuits to reject the noise.

Why does this noise affect some units and not others? My guess is the location of the pump. In an Imagine 2600RB the pump is very close to the Power Distribution Center, so I'm speculating the ground for the pump is tied to a lot of other DC circuits. In my 315RLTS the pump is in the front pass-thru area, far away from the Power Distribution Center which is under the hutch, middle of the trailer. The same pump may affect the Imagine's lights but not my Reflection's.

I just checked the 310GK's electric plan--the pump is very close to the converter and Power Distribution Panel in this trailer, too.

Could be wrong. Just tossing out a theory that would be fun to troubleshoot with an oscilloscope.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                X