Reading a Grand Design Electric Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading a Grand Design Electric Plan

GDRV-Megan sent me the Electric Plan for our 310GK on 12-05-2019, 04:34 PM. I'm wondering if I'm reading it correctly, of if I might have the wrong plan.

A few weeks ago we were running four 1,300-watt heaters quite a bit, often all four of them running at the same time. They were plugged into 1) under the hutch beside the pantry, 2) the kitchen island, 3) the dining room slide, and 4) the bedroom just outside the washer closet door. They all worked so I thought I had managed to get them all on separate circuits.

Now home and looking at the Electric Plan, it indicates that #2 the kitchen island is on circuit 'E' and all three of the other outlets are on circuit 'F'. Holy smoke!

I did not test the current draw of the heaters being used, but their specifications say they need 1,300 watts of power on their low setting, therefore drawing more than 10 amps each. I should not have been able to run two of them, let alone three, on the 'F' circuit of the trailer.

So, am I reading the plan incorrectly or is the plan incorrect for my trailer? If it's the latter, could Megan send me the correct plan please?

Thank you.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Originally posted by boyscout View Post
    GDRV-Megan sent me the Electric Plan for our 310GK on 12-05-2019, 04:34 PM. I'm wondering if I'm reading it correctly, of if I might have the wrong plan.

A few weeks ago we were running four 1,300-watt heaters quite a bit, often all four of them running at the same time. They were plugged into 1) under the hutch beside the pantry, 2) the kitchen island, 3) the dining room slide, and 4) the bedroom just outside the washer closet door. They all worked so I thought I had managed to get them all on separate circuits.

Now home and looking at the Electric Plan, it indicates that #2 the kitchen island is on circuit 'E' and all three of the other outlets are on circuit 'F'. Holy smoke!

I did not test the current draw of the heaters being used, but their specifications say they need 1,300 watts of power on their low setting, therefore drawing more than 10 amps each. I should not have been able to run two of them, let alone three, on the 'F' circuit of the trailer.

So, am I reading the plan incorrectly or is the plan incorrect for my trailer? If it's the latter, could Megan send me the correct plan please?

Thank you.
    I just sent you a private message with the Electric Plan for the 310GK.

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post

Hi Megan,

Would you forward to me as well. My VIN # is in my profile. Thanks.

-Steve
      2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
      Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
      2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
      18k B&W Companion, non-slider
      640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
      Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
      Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post

I have a 2018 310GK-R I was wondering if you could also PM me a electrical diagram. Also does this plan include the connections for TV coax lines? If not is their a diagram for that?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by yobigal View Post
          I have a 2018 310GK-R I was wondering if you could also PM me a electrical diagram. Also does this plan include the connections for TV coax lines? If not is their a diagram for that? Thanks.
          GDRV-Megan I've just this morning learned elsewhere that there IS a coax network diagram for the trailers... would you please send that one to me too? Thanks.
          Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

I have a 2018 310GK-R I was wondering if you could also PM me a electrical diagram. Also does this plan include the connections for TV coax lines? If not is their a diagram for that?

Thanks.
            Hi GDRV-Megan: We would appreciate a copy also. We too are running a space heater and trying to ensure that we are not tripping breakers.

2020 310GK-R - VIN 573FS3624L9903386

Thank you!!!!
            RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK-R
            TV: 2020 GMC 3500 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by swmurray View Post

Hi GDRV-Megan: We would appreciate a copy also. We too are running a space heater and trying to ensure that we are not tripping breakers.

Thank you!!!!
              GDRV-Megan -- please see request in post 6.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks.
                it would be nice to have this available to use when needed, could items like this be in an archive for people to access when needed?
                Joe & Melissa Shantz
                2018 Solitude 310 GK, Sailun S637 Tires 5/14/20, Mor-Ryde IS, pin box and disk brakes 6/16/20
                2021 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by Jshantz View Post

it would be nice to have this available to use when needed, could items like this be in an archive for people to access when needed?
                  Trust me, the moderators have asked (more than once) for this option, but GD will not allow their drawings to be posted. That is, of course, perfectly within their purview. You must ask a GD rep and provide your VIN number to get a drawing. Re-posting is not allowed, here or on any social media.
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Do yourself a favor and install or have Cheapheat from www.rvcomfortsystems installed.We have it in our 337RLS it fits on the furnace and can be switched between electric or gas. keep the underbelly warn and pipes from freezing.

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Hi Megan,

Would you forward to me as well. My VIN # is in my profile. Thanks.

-Steve
                      I just sent you a private message with this. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks.
                        This is sent to your private messages.

Comment

Originally posted by swmurray View Post

Thank you!!!!
                          sent to your PM as well.

Comment

Hi Megan

I would appreciate a copy of the electrical and/or coax plan too. Thanks for all that you do!

Joe
                            Joe & Melissa Shantz
                            2018 Solitude 310 GK, Sailun S637 Tires 5/14/20, Mor-Ryde IS, pin box and disk brakes 6/16/20
                            2021 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

Hi Boyscout:

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

Seeing your post, We asked Megan for a copy of the plan. The plan received does not match our unit either. Appears they have modified the plan and combined a few circuits and added the dishwasher.

We checked which circuit breaker operated each outlet and found:

- "REFER" circuit (15 amp breaker): Fridge, Both outlets aside microwave, TV circuit in lower cabinet, outlet above TV in cabinet, both outlets along side the pull-out couch, both outlets behind the recliners,
                              and the built-in vacuum (i.e. every non-GFI circuit in the main living area except the one below the hutch by the pantry!)
                              - "GFI" circuit (15 amp): The two outlets by the sink (ours are just below the sink on either side), the one bathroom outlet and the basement GFCI circuit.
                              - "OPT Inverter" circuit (15 amp): The outlet in the hutch by the pantry, and all 4 outlets in the bedroom (TV, by W/D door, and each bedside outlet).

Perhaps your actual wiring is different from the "plan" also. Below is a photo of how our breakers are labeled as a comparison.

We had expected to put a 1300 watt heater by the couch and found that we trip the breaker when running the any two high amp appliances on this circuit (heater, vacuum, or electric hot water kettle).
                              I relayed these finding to Megan and have yet to hear a response.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse-Breaker Panel.JPG
Views:	1013
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	15212

BTW: I haven't found an outlet for the dishwasher yet. I'd love to find that and create another outlet for the heater or the water kettle so we are not on the fridge circuit.

RV: 2020 Solitude 310GK-R
                              TV: 2020 GMC 3500 DRW

Comment

Working...
                              X