Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are all 12V LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Batterys the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are all 12V LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Batterys the same?

I have spent the better part of the last several days reading up on LiFePO4 battery's. Just today I ran cross several 200ah and larger 12V units. Everything appears to be made in China. I am planning for a future project when we do more traveling when the DW retires. I am planning on increasing my 170W solar and adding a converter. The research has given me lots of choices, but I know they will change as industry improves their products. The battery pricing is cumming down a bit too and larger sizes are showing up.

12v 200ah LiFePO4 Battery deep cycle for Solar system EV RV Marine Boat
    LiFePO4 Batteries | RELiON
    12v batteries – Dakota Lithium Batteries

Are there any US manufacturers of these battery's using US made components? I am not finding many reviews of the off brands either (like above). Battle Born and LiFePo4 brands are recommended most often if I remember what I have been reading correctly.
    Somewhere in my reading there was a U-TUBE link to a guy that cut them apart and gave thoughts on the construction of each brand. Unfortunately I forgot to book mark it. Also how do I know if a particular battery brand or unit is rated for RV travel.

With my small 220RK how much AH is enough 400? 600?. I have looked at DaveMatthewsBand and really like what he did (same trailer as mine), but to be honest I don't understand 100% of it (more reading before asking questions). I Would like to run the ac a short time to cool down the unit after travel, we have 2 CPAP units (no heat), the microwave for meals, and maybe the TV for a few hours (would require a direct TV or Dish set up) along with lights and vent fans which I plan to upgrade too (max air). Possibly convert one to a 12v swamp cooler. Just thinking out loud here.

Thanks to everyone on sharing their installs. I have learned a lot, but I know I have a long way to go.

Thanks for putting up with my questions, as I know they were probably asked before.

Thanks
    Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    I have spent the better part of the last several days reading up on LiFePO4 battery's. Just today I ran cross several 200ah and larger 12V units. Everything appears to be made in China. I am planning for a future project when we do more traveling when the DW retires. I am planning on increasing my 170W solar and adding a converter. The research has given me lots of choices, but I know they will change as industry improves their products. The battery pricing is cumming down a bit too and larger sizes are showing up.

12v 200ah LiFePO4 Battery deep cycle for Solar system EV RV Marine Boat
    LiFePO4 Batteries | RELiON
    12v batteries – Dakota Lithium Batteries

Are there any US manufacturers of these battery's using US made components? I am not finding many reviews of the off brands either (like above). Battle Born and LiFePo4 brands are recommended most often if I remember what I have been reading correctly.
    Somewhere in my reading there was a U-TUBE link to a guy that cut them apart and gave thoughts on the construction of each brand. Unfortunately I forgot to book mark it. Also how do I know if a particular battery brand or unit is rated for RV travel.

With my small 220RK how much AH is enough 400? 600?. I have looked at DaveMatthewsBand and really like what he did (same trailer as mine), but to be honest I don't understand 100% of it (more reading before asking questions). I Would like to run the ac a short time to cool down the unit after travel, we have 2 CPAP units (no heat), the microwave for meals, and maybe the TV for a few hours (would require a direct TV or Dish set up) along with lights and vent fans which I plan to upgrade too (max air). Possibly convert one to a 12v swamp cooler. Just thinking out loud here.

Thanks to everyone on sharing their installs. I have learned a lot, but I know I have a long way to go.

Thanks for putting up with my questions, as I know they were probably asked before.

Thanks
    Keith
    Will Prowse. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoj6RxIAQq8kmJme-5dnN0Q

Also check out
    https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/li...batteries.html Same guy, but a website with good info and recommendations.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Prowse.JPG Views:	0 Size:	92.9 KB ID:	15099

Click image for larger version

Name:	DIY.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	15100
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks Howard
      Yep that is the link I was looking for. Now to get another tea and read.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
        Are there any US manufacturers of these battery's using US made components? Also how do I know if a particular battery brand or unit is rated for RV travel.
        I'm not aware of any batteries that are made and assembled in the US. Battleborn assembles their batteries at their Nevada plant from Chinese made cells. That's probably as close as you'll get to "US made". I'm not aware of any batteries, regardless of the type, that are actually "rated" for RV use. The design of LiFePO4 batteries makes them inherently more reliable than lead acid batteries. You can mount them in any position (upside down, sideways, whatever). No liquid to spill. No lead plates to break, etc. What I did was watch some of Will Prowse's battery tear down videos on YouTube. That will give you a pretty good indication of which batteries are well designed and well built and which to avoid.
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

LifeBlue claims that their batteries are designed for the RV industry with integrated blue tooth monitoring (with app) and also has an internal heater in their low temp battery versions. They also claim to provide a 10 year warranty. These are sold through AmSolar and look to be competitively priced when considering their features. There are many battery suppliers out there where features, price, warranty are some things to consider. Cells are all sourced from China as stated above, where cells are not necessarily created the same, so having a detailed datasheet can be helpful in choosing a battery. On the RV Battery post, I've provided a link to Will Prowse in how to increase the service life of a Lithium battery.

http://www.lifebluebattery.com/rv-bo...attery-pc.html
          Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2020, 11:37 AM.

Comment

"also has an internal heater in their low temp battery versions"

Ok I think I have missed something here. Do these battery's freeze or loose power/fail at low temperatures? I sometimes tow to Mississippi from Colorado at Christmas if snow permits (otherwise hotel it) and have done this in -10 degree temps so what needs to be done? Also do you just disconnect and take indoors, rather then leave disconnected in unit?

Sorry for dumb questions here I probably need to read more on Will Prowse web page.
            Guest howson bertschb

Thanks everyone
            Keith

Comment

LiFePO4 batteries shouldn't be charged when they are below freezing but you can discharge them when they are below freezing. The internal heaters allow them to be charged when it's below freezing. Some companies like Battle Born have optional blanket heaters.
              Brian & Kellie
              2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
              2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
              2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
              2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

So I would need to isolate them from the truck and solar while traveling, and only connect at night for use, until the temperature gets above freezing around the battery's, or run the heat blankets/internal battery heaters while traveling. How much battery power does that take? Or move the battery's to the pass through and run the heater when traveling - if that is even possible. Do folks build insulated boxes? Am I missing something?

Now I understand why all the off grid Alaska Cabin build episodes use conventional battery's on their set ups.

Thanks for the help
                Keith

Comment

Good LiFePO4 batteries have BMS's (Battery Management Systems) that automatically prevent charging when the batteries are below freezing. You don't need to take any extra precautions when it's below freezing unless you want to charge your batteries. If you want to charge when it's below freezing, you need to warm your batteries up. Some people who frequently camp when it's below freezing will mount their LiFePO4 batteries in the basement which is heated rather than the factory front storage compartment location.
                  Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Many battery manufacturers (all for EV's) suggest to adjust the charge profile even before freezing conditions which is the right answer. See the chart provided by Trojan on their Trillium. If you winter camp, mount the batteries in the heated space or provide a heated mat. If your camping in Arizona on a 100F day while drawing at 1C, it may be best to have them inside in the cool. I would not suggest to rely on the BMS in these batteries (think it cannot fail?) as the main safety net, but rather control what your doing and use it as a redundant solution. This would be the smart solution.

Comment

Thanks folks
                      Keith

Comment

Working...
                      X