30 amp trailer plugged into 50 amp outlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 amp trailer plugged into 50 amp outlet

My neighbor's trailer is an older 5th wheel with a 30 amp power cord. He has an adapter 30 to 50 and has it plugged into the 50 amp receptacle. A resort handyman stated that could be a problem. His biggest draw would be a single AC. He also has a microwave. Unknown on space heater use during colder weather. No washer or dryer.
    Is there an issue using the 50 amp receptacle?
    He says it's been that way for years, and looks it. He said he was told it would supply a better feed to his trailer.
    Does it?

No issue at all - don't know where that "handyman" got that notion. 50 amp outlets are actually two legs of 50 amps on separate phases for a total of 100 amps of service. The 30 amp RV will have a 30 amp main breaker to protect it should anything overdraw.

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by TNFSolitude View Post
      My neighbor's trailer is an older 5th wheel with a 30 amp power cord. He has an adapter 30 to 50 and has it plugged into the 50 amp receptacle. A resort handyman stated that could be a problem. His biggest draw would be a single AC. He also has a microwave. Unknown on space heater use during colder weather. No washer or dryer.
      Is there an issue using the 50 amp receptacle?
      He says it's been that way for years, and looks it. He said he was told it would supply a better feed to his trailer.
      Does it?
      I don't know about "a better feed". That makes no sense to me.

Assuming the neighbor's trailer has a 30A main breaker on his power distribution panel (the one inside the trailer) and hasn't modified the OEM wiring of his camper, it shouldn't make a difference that he's hooked into a 50A outlet. If he exceeds 30 amps the trailer's c/b will open.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Tom,

I agree with SC Rob that this is a common situation and should present no problems. The only slightly "unusual" thing about this (from a wiring perspective) is that the circuit breaker is usually upstream from what it is protecting. In this situation, the 30A breaker in the RV is "protecting" a 30A cord that is upstream from the breaker and plugged into a 50A outlet. It would take some unlikely wiring fault to draw more than 30A through this cord before the RV circuit breaker opened.

(another) Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I have done this plenty of times with our previous TT , it was 30 amp. Some times there were lots of folks using the 30 amp and very few using the 30 amp. Other times the 30 amp breaker at the post would trip and the 50 amp would not. The adaptor used only allows the use of 1 leg of 50 amp thru to the RV. I agree if an overload was to occur that the on board 30 amp breaker should trip , hopefully before the 30 amp cord melts.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

There can be a problem doing this. If you were to have a short in the shore power cable, the shore power connector or the wiring from the shore power connector to the breaker panel, you have the potential for overloaded wiring. All of that wiring is protected by the breaker at the pedestal. Since the wiring was intended for 30A service, but is being protected by a 50A breaker there is an opportunity for a problem to occur.
            John & Kathy
            2014 Reflection 303RLS
            2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
              There can be a problem doing this. If you were to have a short in the shore power cable, the shore power connector or the wiring from the shore power connector to the breaker panel, you have the potential for overloaded wiring. All of that wiring is protected by the breaker at the pedestal. Since the wiring was intended for 30A service, but is being protected by a 50A breaker there is an opportunity for a problem to occur.
              In this case, the 50 amp breaker would still trip - not a reason to worry.

Rob
              Rob & Laura
              U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
              2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
              2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
              (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
              Full time since 08/2015

Comment

No different than plugging a light weight lamp cord into a 15 or 20 amp plug. Lots of lighter load cords get plugged into higher amp plugs/breakers.
                Jim (& Sharon)
                2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                The toys:
                2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

In this case, the 50 amp breaker would still trip - not a reason to worry.

Rob

I agree it’s not much of a worry, but a short may not be carrying the full 50A or could bypass the onboard breaker allowing users to draw up to 50A with equipment in the RV.

Cords are treated differently because the are largely visible. Cables and hidden wiring have much greater risk.
                  John & Kathy
                  2014 Reflection 303RLS
                  2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Jkwilson -- Couldn't this be solved very easily? Have the park replace the 50A breaker in the pedestal with a 30A one. Should take all of 5 minutes, right?
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks all for the helpful info. I'll pass it on to my neighbor.

Comment

Working...
                      X