No announcement yet.

Replacement radios, speakers, and components that actually work and are good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement radios, speakers, and components that actually work and are good

Killing time and reading a lot during this isolation. Been reading about quality/sound issues with the various brands of Radio and TV's etc. All brands of trailers are having similar issues so we are not alone. I had my own issues with the interior speaker wiring. When camping we don't use it much except for the radio. My current one (Furrion?) is well lets say less than Junk. Maybe a better dedicated FM antenna would help.

So here is the question. What components do work that can be fit in the existing openings/brackets. If the openings do need adjustment how did you keep the plastic film veneer from tearing chipping during the enlargement process.

Pictures and links are very helpful

Stay safe and Isolate

Thanks - Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Yoda
    Hi Keith,

Having had the "opportunity" to cut instrument holes in some cabinet and dash panels (usually boats) where there was only one chance to get it right, I have found that a template and a high speed (sharp) router bit are the best combination. I use a small "laminate trimmer" router for this task.

I cut a piece of plywood with the exact size opening that I want for the instrument/gauge. All the trial fitting can happen between this template and the device. Then, I clamp (sometimes heavily tape) this template into position. This also provides protection for the surface around the opening while I am working. The bit in the router will have a top bearing that will follow the template while the cutting blades match the opening below to the template. This works best if the router is removing only the last 1/8" or so of material. Often this works directly for enlarging an existing opening, but if it is a new opening, an undersize hole has to be cut first with a hole saw or jig saw.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
      Killing time and reading a lot during this isolation. Been reading about quality/sound issues with the various brands of Radio and TV's etc. All brands of trailers are having similar issues so we are not alone. I had my own issues with the interior speaker wiring. When camping we don't use it much except for the radio. My current one (Furrion?) is well lets say less than Junk. Maybe a better dedicated FM antenna would help.

So here is the question. What components do work that can be fit in the existing openings/brackets. If the openings do need adjustment how did you keep the plastic film veneer from tearing chipping during the enlargement process.

Pictures and links are very helpful

Stay safe and Isolate

Thanks - Keith
      I abandoned mine altogether and used a old Denon receiver from home. I put it on top of the cabinet that that radio was in and pulled the speaker wires out to be hooked up to the Denon. I use the factory speakers as rears and put two bookshelf home speakers on top of the cabinets as fronts. I hooked up the outside speakers to zone two, and its all set. I have my eye on a wireless sub at some point, but I find it works quite well.

Put me in the camp that wishes they would not install anything at the factory.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

A good way to save the plastic veneer is to use a layer of good masking tape layout your lines then use a utility knife to cut through the tape and the veneer. If you are doing a circle you could use a compass to score the laminate. It is not very thick but is easily ruined ( I had to make a cover for one of my slip ups). The hardest part of making a hole is the thickness of the material behind the veneer. The thicker , I found , is worst to cut and very dusty and dirty , not much fun but doable.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
        X