Converter amp output

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converter amp output

Hello, can anyone tell me if the converter in my imagine 2150 will have any issues charging 2. 6volt deep cycle batteries connected in series. These are higher ampacity batteries that like to be charged at roughly 22 amps? I know it takes longer to charge these vs the 12 volt variety

Originally posted by Chuckjim View Post
    Hello, can anyone tell me if the converter in my imagine 2150 will have any issues charging 2. 6volt deep cycle batteries connected in series. These are higher ampacity batteries that like to be charged at roughly 22 amps? I know it takes longer to charge these vs the 12 volt variety
    Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum, Chuckjim. To ensure you're getting good feedback, what year is your 2150? Also, you may note there's a "Parts Lookup" link on the menu bar above. If you follow that link to Grand Design's website you will likely be able to find the exact model converter in your unit which you can then use to find the owner's manual. But the forum can help with that if you'll provide the year of your unit.

Forum use hint: if you fill out your signature line you won't have to repeat that information each time you post: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...-to-your-posts
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Chuckjim
      Welcome to our Grand Design Owners Technical Forum.

The online parts list for an Imagine 2150 (I had to guess at the year) shows a WFCO 55 Amp DC Converter/Charger. (Picture attached)
      This should be more than sufficient to charge your two 6V batteries.

Rob
      Attached Files
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Chuckjim
        ​​​​​​​
        Based on my experience with my Imagine 2150 RB charging two 6v batteries, the charger will work fine when plugged into shore power. When I am dry camping (w/o shore power), the batteries charge very slowly using a combination of solar power, 100w, and a 2000w generator. The reason for the slowness is that the trailer charger doesn't typically use its fastest charging rate, 14.4 volts. It consistently charges with 13.6 volts. This lower charging rate is made worse by an additional 20% reduction of power caused by the size of wire between the charger and the batteries and the distance, approximately 34 feet, that the power has to travel.

I remedied some of this dry camping problem by increasing the charging wire size from 8 gauge to 4 gauge, and I will be replacing the converter with a Progressive Dynamics brand converter. The new converter allows for a forced increase in charging power while using my generator.

Norm
        Last edited by Oregon Fun-Guy; 04-22-2020, 12:58 PM.
        Norm & Karla
        2019 Imagine 2150rb
        2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
        2016 - 2018 Hobie Kayaks

Comment

Oregon Fun-Guy
          Hi Norm . . . great "first hand" feedback! Your comment about wire gauge is good advice.

I have also heard about the 13.6V vs 14.4V issue with WFCO converters. Although, their documentation says that charge voltage is selected based on state of charge of the batteries with bulk being at 14.4V and absorption being at 13.6V.

The optimum use & recharge range for any lead acid battery is to stay between 50% and 80% state of charge. This is the bulk charge range where the batteries will absorb recharge most quickly. Pushing past 80% into the absorption range takes a long time and you can't force a battery to absorb charge faster (although higher charge voltage will help). Going below 50% risks damage to the battery. So, a good rule of thumb for extended dry camping is to keep your usage within 30% of the stated capacity of the bank. (80% - 50%).

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob amp;Rob

Thanks for the information! With a previous trailer, I learned how to do what you suggested with two six volt batteries to make them useful for a week plus. I used my solar panels and maybe a generator for an hour or two a day during the cloudy days.

My GD trailer, the way it was set up, I was having bigger problems with the batteries making it through two days. I use a CPAP to help me sleep. During my last dry camping trip, I couldn't use my CPAP so I got an average of 2 hours of sleep each night for a week. Not my idea of a good time. Now I have upgraded the wiring and created two separate 200+ ah battery banks with a plan for charging that will last for an indefinite time with the same solar panels/generators. Now, I just need to be able to take the trailer somewhere remote to try it out.

Norm
            Norm & Karla
            2019 Imagine 2150rb
            2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
            2016 - 2018 Hobie Kayaks

Comment

Working...
            X