Lead/Acid Battery Storage Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lead/Acid Battery Storage Data

I have six 12V Group 27 Deep Cycle Wet Cell Lead/Acid batteries (on my boat) that I store completely disconnected for 5 months each winter. Due to COVID 19 concerns, it looks like the boats will not be launched this spring, so I brought the six batteries home for some careful analysis (can you tell that I am bored) These batteries are of various ages.

First, I applied a 600W load (battery tester) to each battery for 10 seconds to equally stabilize them. Then I measured battery voltage at the terminals with two different digital volt meters.
    Remember that the following data is after 5 months of "cold storage" with no loads and no charging of any kind.

I was surprised at the two 2018 batteries. 12.56V (95% state of charge)
    There are three matching 2016 batteries . Two years older and each individually at 12.39V (75% state of charge)
    One 2012 battery was at 12.21V (60% state of charge) I knew that this one was weak and left it in a tub in case it froze and split (it didn’t)

Proves that battery age is an important storage consideration, particularly for these relatively inexpensive Costco/Walmart batteries.

Just FYI . . .
    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Thanks for sharing this information Rob. I'm impressed that 8 year old battery is doing so well.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Rob,

Are the six lead/acid batteries for ballast or do you use them in the electrical system?

(Another) Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
        Thanks for sharing this information Rob. I'm impressed that 8 year old battery is doing so well.
        The 8 year old battery is not really doing that well . . . it drops way down during the load test . . . time to replace that one!

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
          Rob,

Are the six lead/acid batteries for ballast or do you use them in the electrical system?

(Another) Rob
          Ballast or Electrical . . . "Yes" to both!
          Cate & Rob
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
            Brian - it is interesting but in the three boats we owned over the years, we experienced the same thing. Our last boat (a performance Baja) the 2 batteries lasted 12 years before we replaced them. This seemed to be the same with many of our other performance boating friends.

I think it may be attributable to only using the boats on and off over 3 - 4 summer months here in the upper plains region and rarely running one of the batteries down to even 60% of capacity. It seems with the batteries being located (for most of our performance boats anyway) in the wide open and large engine compartment near the rear of the boat and as low as could be, they stay pretty cool as well. We all know that heat is an enemy to battery life.

Our boats all had the dual battery cutoff switch to kill both or one of the batteries as well as tap into both at the same time. I think you added one of these to your Solitude(s.)

Dan
            Dan & Carol
            2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
            2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
              Our boats all had the dual battery cutoff switch to kill both or one of the batteries as well as tap into both at the same time. I think you added one of these to your Solitude(s.
              I did add a true dual battery cutoff switch to my last Solitude (Cate&Rob 's recommendation) and plan to do the same today to my new Solitude. I always removed the batteries from my boats and snowmobiles during the offseason and put them on trickle chargers. Never had a problem doing this but after seeing how well Rob's batteries held up by just leaving them alone (with a cutoff switch), I probably could have done the same.
              Brian & Kellie
              2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
              2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
              2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
              2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Canyonlight
                Hi Dan,
                It sounds like a bit of a cliche . . . but, they don't build batteries like they used to 😄. 20 years ago, we would buy a Trojan battery (for $200 back then) and it would last for 10 years or more. Then that battery became $400. It would still last 10 years, but I found that I could now buy a $100 battery (with the same capacity) that would last 5 years. The math says . . . just buy new cheap batteries every 5 years.

bertschb
                Hi Brian,
                I have always been afraid of leaving anything powered up on the boat during winter storage, so that meant hauling the batteries home if I wanted to trickle charge them. This is about 500 lbs of batteries! Many years ago, I thought I would try the "cold storage" theory. That first year, I would check those batteries (left disconnected in the boat) about every two weeks! After that, I trusted that they would be fine if they passed the load test before leaving them for the winter. I never had one lose charge, freeze and break . . . but, I know of others who have. Ironically, expensive Trojans that were not properly disconnected. A bilge full of battery acid is a conundrum.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I disconnect my marine batteries and leave them in the boat which its stored in a building in Ohio. Not had a problem doing this where I typically have been getting about 10 years out of my batteries. I replace them at the same time (2x) and use marine starting batteries, They do not take a beating like a deep cycle battery, so I've been happy with the durability for cheap auto zone marine batteries.

Hope we can do some boating this year as well as camping. I'm getting cabin fever. Not literally.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X