Furrion Last Resort ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion Last Resort ...

The age old question appears again. Looking for a Wireless Observation camera for my 2020 Imagine 2500RL. I have it narrowed down to what I believe to be the top cameras. All cameras have the 7" display.
    1) Haloview RD7 Wireless Range Dominator @ $400.00
    2) Rear View Safety Simple Sight RVS 355W @ $575.00
    3) Tadi Heavy Duty @ $525.00
    Last but least the Furrion .... Even at the store the Furrion has poor video quality even at close range. Just was looking for anyone that has or has seen any of these others in action. I don't mind spending a little extra to do it once and be done. I really don't want to hard wire even tho I know it is the ultimate application. I would think with the technology today someone would be able to produce a wireless camera that could transmit 40 ft. reliably. Depending where you look all of these cameras either have excellent reviews or it's the worst camera in the world. My tow vehicle is a 2016 Silverado High Country. I know that because of the energy management system the alternator will not always put out full voltage and may drop as low as 11 volts which may affect the operation of the device due to not having full 12vdc. I have also read the having LED head lights may also cause interference. Has anyone experienced any issues due to these factors ?? Thanks in advance and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by scottld View Post
    The age old question appears again. Looking for a Wireless Observation camera for my 2020 Imagine 2500RL. I have it narrowed down to what I believe to be the top cameras. All cameras have the 7" display.
    Last but least the Furrion .... Even at the store the Furrion has poor video quality even at close range. Just was looking for anyone that has or has seen any of these others in action. I don't mind spending a little extra to do it once and be done. I really don't want to hard wire even tho I know it is the ultimate application. I would think with the technology today someone would be able to produce a wireless camera that could transmit 40 ft. reliably. Depending where you look all of these cameras either have excellent reviews or it's the worst camera in the world. My tow vehicle is a 2016 Silverado High Country. I know that because of the energy management system the alternator will not always put out full voltage and may drop as low as 11 volts which may affect the operation of the device due to not having full 12vdc. I have also read the having LED head lights may also cause interference. Has anyone experienced any issues due to these factors ?? Thanks in advance and any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Welcome..

I have the Furrion on our rig and have not had any issues with dropped signal. I do not have any LED lights on while driving , our marker lights and such are incandescent.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by scottld View Post
      My father has the Tadi on his motorhome and it works well and has good resolution. I have the furrion and while I find all rear cameras (for me) of no value for backing into a campsite since these lack depth and cannot cover all aspects such as the roof line from overhanging trees. The DW is best for me while we communicate over phones or radios when backing into a site. Where I find the rear camera to be of most value is while over the road where I can stop short at a light and move up when I see traffic approaching from behind at ramming speed. It also works well while passing or helping with merging traffic while using my mirrors. So the lack of resolution of the furrion does not matter to me. I have LED headlights, fogs and the RV lights are all LED where I've not experienced any issues with the camera signal.

For your Silverado, system voltage is raised when the tow haul button is activated.

Jim

Comment

I have the Furrion on our 2020 Imagine 2600RB. We have had no issues and all lighting is LED. I drive with the headlights on whenever towing, no interference. I have used the Rear View Safety equipment on a 2016 Jayco (24 ft) and had nothing but problems. Intermittent video or total cutout of video was common and tech support was no help. Their only suggestion was adding a larger antenna which required me to glue a piece of metal to the top of the AC so it would stay put. The newest Furrion has worked without issues on a trailer (slightly) longer and larger than yours.
        2020 F-250 Lariat 2WD SuperCrew 6.7L, Blue Ox SwayPro hitch w/ 1000lb bars
        2020 Imagine 2600RD w/ Road Armor + wet bolt suspension, Yakima Longhaul Bike Rack, MicroAir EasyStart 364 for AC, Lion Energy 105 amp Lithiium Ion X2
        Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ
        FMCA # 489460

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies. I have decided to go with the HaloView RD7. Just have to make up my mind if I want the "MIni" or order the RD7 with the full size camera and a Furrion mount and extra brackets. The optional mounts appear to give you more mounting options. I think it will only add a bucks to the cost. It appears that the full size camera has a sun shield and looks a little more heavy duty. I will order in the next few days and post pics when complete.

Comment

Does your unit have the Furrion shark fin mount? If so, I would be very interested in hearing how good the compatibility is with the Haloview. I had a Haloview RD7 on our 2018 Reflection 303 RLS and it was a bear to install. It was on all the time, not powered by the running lights, as GD claimed, and the power cord was too short. Once done, though, I was very pleased with the way it operated and displayed. We have a new GD on order and I plan to go again with the Haloview, assuming that the installation will be easier this time.

Comment

Sorry for the delay. I do have the shark fin mount. From the factory they did wire into the DOT running lites. I just finished installing the RD Mini 7. So far on a few short runs system to work pretty good. If you go with the Range Dominator take your time and think it out. All the parts in the kit gives you plenty of options for your install. Watch some of the YouTube videos but keep in mind that some of these guys are real hacks. I didn't mount anything on the roof except (1) small loop to bypass the awning. All of my wiring runs under the shade.The supplied Furrion adapter fits well but you will have to seal with caulk where the wires go thru antenna slot. I did not use the supplied wire straps found to be of poor quality. I purchased the 1" square from Home Depot removed the cheep adhesive down to the plastic and cut the good 3M 2 sided exterior tape. The repeater was mounted on the side just after the gutter down spout. I purchased the heavy duty 3M exterior velcro to mount the repeater. Also the wire ties that I bought from Home Depot have the stainless lock. I have a solid (4) bar signal. Don't be cheep, you only want to do this once. Hope this helps with your install and your decision. Keep in mind that I have a smaller coach than you. Imagine 2500RL. I'm 30ft from bumper to hitch.

Comment

I have the Furrion S7 with right side, left side, and rear cameras. I have not had any issues with the signal from any of the cameras. My big complaint is that the display is not bright enough to see in the daylight. I have the display attached to my dash using the supplied stand. I can barely see the image, and I cannot seem to adjust it to be any brighter. I would definitely NOT RECOMMEND this camera system.

Bob Anthony

2020 Imagine 2970RL
                2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD Duramax
                Bob & Lynne

2020 Imagine 2970RL
                2019 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax

Comment

I bought the Furrion S 5 inch. My 2017 has the Shark Fin wired into constant 12v. It worked really well. I towed the trailer home without it, and I was extremely nervous on my clearance on changing lanes.

I bought and mounted the camera, and felt much more comfortable. I could easily see what was coming up, and if I had room to change langes.

I have noticed that the frame rate drops sometimes (like to 15FPS or so) so things are not movie camera smooth 100% of the time. I will say when I drove out of the campsite last night to pick something up, I still had video on the camera for about 800 feet
                  Mike
                  2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
                    I bought the Furrion S 5 inch. My 2017 has the Shark Fin wired into constant 12v. It worked really well. I towed the trailer home without it, and I was extremely nervous on my clearance on changing lanes.

I bought and mounted the camera, and felt much more comfortable. I could easily see what was coming up, and if I had room to change lanes.

I have noticed that the frame rate drops sometimes (like to 15FPS or so) so things are not movie camera smooth 100% of the time. I will say when I drove out of the campsite last night to pick something up, I still had video on the camera for about 800 feet
                    If you do not mind a little "fun" work , or modification , you can remove the camera mount and a clearance light just above it and wire the camera into the clearance light. When towing turn your lights on and the camera will be on , when the lights are not on the camera will not be on. I just pulled the camera power wire out until I had enough to reach the clearance light and cut it off , taped the end up wo there was no way of getting a short.
                    I thought that Grand Design was powering the camera from the marker lights but I guess not.
                    Remember to reseal everything if you do this mod.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                    X