WFCO Power Center / Battery Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WFCO Power Center / Battery Question

Was watching a video last night in which one of the highly popular/followed (and apparently electrical wizard) electricians mentioned during the video that if the RV owner is thinking about upgrading from the OEM flooded LA battery(ies) that came with the RV originally to AGM batteries that they should change out/upgrade the charging portion of the WFCO power distro center. My OEM WFCO model is the 8955PEC and it states: The WF-8955PEC model provides 55 Amps and a clean, constant 13.6 VDC nominal output, for reliable operation of electronics and appliances. Automatic three-stage charging extends the life of your battery with output voltage modes of 13.2 VDC range “float” mode, 13.6 VDC range “absorption” mode, and a 14.4 VDC range “bulk” charge mode.

After traveling many miles for 2 years (about 3/4 time), doing probably more than my fair share of research, reading, videos, discussions at campgrounds, forums, etc., I've never heard of the need to change out (maybe this was true many years back, don't know) the OEM charger in this situation. My thought was that the advancement in technology (multiple charging modes, etc) made this change not necessary when going only from traditional flooded to AGM sealed batteries.

However, since I'm not sure, I thought it prudent to ask you Pros what you know and have experienced regarding this dilemma. It's only important because I'm getting too lazy to take off the theft proof mechanism from the two batteries and top off the water every 30 days and put it back together. It's not that big of a deal, I'm just getting lazy. Please advise, thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Schiefswret; 04-19-2020, 09:35 PM.
    Dave and Sue
    2020 GD 2250RK
    2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
    Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
    GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
    SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Those voltages should be fine for any AGM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

There is 0.4V difference at 100% state of charge on wet vs AGM. The WFCO charging voltages are above both of these values. 14.4V during Bulk phase and 13.2V during Float. I have not heard of any problems with AGM batteries and the OE Converter.

Rob
      Attached Files
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

That's what I was thinking (X2) but just needed more experience than I have to be sure. Thank you both. Maybe see you at the Rally in Sept.
        Dave and Sue
        2020 GD 2250RK
        2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
        Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
        GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
        SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Working...
        X