Faster USB chargers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster USB chargers?

We have noticed the USB chargers in our Imagine 3100RD are the super slow type. Has anyone found a direct replacement that has fast charging capability? Thanks
    Brett & Lisa
    From NW Ohio
    2020 Imagine 3100RD behind a 2022 F-250 7.3 Lariat

My phones will accept Qualcomm turbo charges. You'll only get that with specific Qualcomm chargers that you can plug into a std outlet in the TT/RV. GD would have to build a Qualcomm chip into their charging circuit to make the turbo charging happen.
    ​​​​​​
    I can plug my phone into a normal GD 5v charging outlet. It'll charge the phone but takes most of the night.

Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    Andersen Hitch
    2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by ckreef View Post
      My phones will accept Qualcomm turbo charges. You'll only get that with specific Qualcomm chargers that you can plug into a std outlet in the TT/RV. GD would have to build a Qualcomm chip into their charging circuit to make the turbo charging happen.
      ​​​​​​
      I can plug my phone into a normal GD 5v charging outlet. It'll charge the phone but takes most of the night.
      Yeah, our phones charge but it takes forever like you said. I can't imagine how long the grandkids tablets will take. I found some options on Amazon but nothing that looked like it would provide fast charging for sure. There must be something that would fit in the hole to replace these. I'd hate to have to add a cigarette lighter port and use a car type charger when GD has provided USB chargers (sort of). I'll keep digging and post if I find anything better. Thanks
      Brett & Lisa
      From NW Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by Riverland View Post
        We have noticed the USB chargers in our Imagine 3100RD are the super slow type. Has anyone found a direct replacement that has fast charging capability? Thanks
        Interesting discussion/thread.

By "faster" what is meant is a higher voltage and/or current capability, right? By what I can tell, the outlets provided by GD provide ~1.2A @ 5v maximum per USB connection (thus 2.4A max total for the two connections on the one outlet).

Click image for larger version

Name:	USB Charger Specs.JPG
Views:	585
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	17185

I'm not an expert on USB chargers, so I had to do some reading. From wikipedia:

Name:	Wikipedia.JPG
Views:	568
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	17186
        So assuming the outlet in our RV is the one shown in the first picture, 1.2A @ 5v = 6W. Not great, but not awful.

For a comparison, the small charger for my Samsung S10+ has these ratings:

Name:	Samsung.JPG
Views:	614
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	17187

5V @ 2A = 10W. That's a 40% increase, so the charging time will obviously decrease if the device can handle the higher charging rate. The 9V@1.67A ability of this Samsung charger equals ~15W. Obviously that helps my phone charge even faster.

For the RV, the Magnadyne shown below looks like an interesting option. I have no personal experience with the device nor did I double-check the measurements, so this is not a recommendation--just something that looked interesting.

Name:	Magnadyne.JPG
Views:	595
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	17188

I'll be very curious to read the results of your project. Please post when you get this figured out!

Howard

P.S. gbkims (Gene)--any thoughts?
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

QC 3.0 for some of the newer phones & tablets is available.
          QC 3.0 - https://www.androidcentral.com/what-...m-quick-charge

I've got a couple different ones in my truck and the RV:
          https://www.amazon.com/SunnyTrip-Wat.../dp/B07MMHZDXY
          https://www.amazon.com/Charger-CHGee.../dp/B07F84VVB4
          Gene and Kim
          2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
          2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Nice find!
            And coming on the heels of the CPAP discussion, the next item on Amazon was equally fascinating.
            https://www.amazon.com/Magnadyne-Bla...dp/B0814BT629/

Name:	image_2517.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	17196

(really had challenges getting this to post the way I wanted....)
            Last edited by Gimpyknee; 04-23-2020, 10:25 AM.
            Scott & Fonda
            2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
            2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
            Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
            Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
            Virginia Beach

Comment

Looking at what apple uses, got me to look at QC 4.0, USB-PD.
              So I may upgrade to one with USB-C and QC 3.0 https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Cha.../dp/B07LCBKZSG
              Gene and Kim
              2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
              2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

Those round ones look very interesting. I wonder if we could get Marty to 3D print some adapter plates to replace the OEM square charger/plate. It looks like QC 3.0 maxes at 36w so two of them could take up to 6A of 12v from the RV. I'll have to make sure the wire is up to it.
                Brett & Lisa
                From NW Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

Interesting--another tech subject I wasn't current (pun intended!) on.

I have an Anker multi-charger I'd bought to take with with me on the motorcycle for the multiple USB-powered devices (helmets, GPS, phones, etc) that needed charging at the end of the day. I didn't realize it has QC tech or that even QC was a thing.

A lot of interesting options at Powerwerx: https://powerwerx.com/panel-mounts

None that are direct panel replacements, but should be easy enough to mount.

Name:	powerwerx.JPG
Views:	563
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	17200
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Interesting--another tech subject I wasn't current (pun intended!) on.

I have an Anker multi-charger I'd bought to take with with me on the motorcycle for the multiple USB-powered devices (helmets, GPS, phones, etc) that needed charging at the end of the day. I didn't realize it has QC tech or that even QC was a thing.

A lot of interesting options at Powerwerx: https://powerwerx.com/panel-mounts

None that are direct panel replacements, but should be easy enough to mount.
                    ...snipped images...

The hole is 1 1/2 inch with screws 2 1/4 apart top and bottom on our 2020 Imagine. I haven't gauged it yet but the wire is small and there is not much slack. Maybe 16 or 18.

Click image for larger version  Name:	USB_Hole.jpg Views:	0 Size:	100.1 KB ID:	17202
                    Last edited by howson; 04-23-2020, 11:29 AM. Reason: Fixed quote...
                    Brett & Lisa
                    From NW Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by Riverland View Post
                      ...the wire is small and there is not much slack. Maybe 16 or 18.
                      The shortness, and small gauge, could be an issue. For the USB connectors in my hutch, running new wires down to the power center would be relatively easy. Everything is accessible. Not sure about your Imagine.

Might be easier to install a replacement 120vAC outlet with USB built-in. That has it's own challenges, though, as the "RV outlets" in our trailers are completely different from residential outlets. There may not be room for a box in the wall for it to install a residential-style outlet. The residential USB outlets I've seen are all deep, too. None are thin.

Obviously the easiest and quickest is a charger that plugs into an existing AC outlet. The only way I can think of to secure it would be with double-face tape, as (again) the RV outlet doesn't have the same center screw to allow fixing it in place with a screw.

When you figure out what you're going to do--again--please post the results. I suspect there will be many interested to see what you come up with.

Comment

I went with a higher voltage set up that I pieced together from parts I purchased from Amazon. The wiring to the light over our hutch was sufficient size to handle the higher voltage demand of four USB ports.
                        Now I can quick charge up to four devices at a time.

Name:	USB Replacement.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	17217
                        Attached Files
                        Jim and Ginnie
                        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

The shortness, and small gauge, could be an issue. For the USB connectors in my hutch, running new wires down to the power center would be relatively easy. Everything is accessible. Not sure about your Imagine.

Might be easier to install a replacement 120vAC outlet with USB built-in. That has it's own challenges, though, as the "RV outlets" in our trailers are completely different from residential outlets. There may not be room for a box in the wall for it to install a residential-style outlet. The residential USB outlets I've seen are all deep, too. None are thin.

Obviously the easiest and quickest is a charger that plugs into an existing AC outlet. The only way I can think of to secure it would be with double-face tape, as (again) the RV outlet doesn't have the same center screw to allow fixing it in place with a screw.

When you figure out what you're going to do--again--please post the results. I suspect there will be many interested to see what you come up with.
                          The small wires are only the leads on the USB part. They are wire nutted to pretty substantial lines in the wall. It feels like they may just be snagged on something so maybe I can fish them out yet. There's just enough for me to cut them off right at the base and crimp on terminals if not. I just sent the idea and dimensions to Marty and we'll see if he's interested. I'll update eventually when I figure something out. Thanks for the thoughts guys.
                          Brett & Lisa
                          From NW Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                            I went with a higher voltage set up that I pieced together from parts I purchased from Amazon. The wiring to the light over our hutch was sufficient size to handle the higher voltage demand of four USB ports. Now I can quick charge up to four devices at a time.
                            Showoff. (Outstanding, as usual, Jim!)

Comment

Working...
                            X