Unused Electrical Outlet under sink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unused Electrical Outlet under sink

Since sheltering at home for a month now, I've been exploring my GD 310GK as a break from working from 'home'. I changed out the kitchen faucet and imagine my surprise when an unused (probably for the dishwasher that I didn't have installed) electrical outlet hanging. So I secured the outlet to part of the framing (see photo 1). But I'm wondering if I couldn't add the outlet to the front of the island (photo 2). Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Cindy
    2021 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Dualy
    2022 Solitude 3330RE
    Cindy & Xena

Originally posted by Cindy View Post
    Since sheltering at home for a month now, I've been exploring my GD 310GK as a break from working from 'home'. I changed out the kitchen faucet and imagine my surprise when an unused (probably for the dishwasher that I didn't have installed) electrical outlet hanging. So I secured the outlet to part of the framing (see photo 1). But I'm wondering if I couldn't add the outlet to the front of the island (photo 2). Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Cindy
    Cindy,
    That should be a relatively easy modification. All you'll need is a snap-on cover once you've made the hole in the island and installed the outlet. Use an existing outlet as a guide.

Since there's so much room under there you might consider changing the "RV outlet" to a standard outlet which, of course, requires a box. You could install any number of different type outlets, including those with built-in USB charging.

I'm *assuming* you're comfortable working with electric items and wiring. If not, this is a simple job for an electrician or RV mechanic.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hey Howard.... Thanks for the reply... I'm not that comfortable working with electrical stuff but there is a RV Repair place nearby.... and to save $$ maybe have a "fix me" list for them... maybe I could even get their help with running the satellite coax directly to the 2nd receiver.
      Cindy
      2022 Solitude 3330RE
      Cindy & Xena

Comment

Since sheltering at home for a month now, I've been exploring my GD 310GK as a break from working from 'home'. I changed out the kitchen faucet and imagine my surprise when an unused (probably for the dishwasher that I didn't have installed) electrical outlet hanging. So I secured the outlet to part of the framing (see photo 1). But I'm wondering if I couldn't add the outlet to the front of the island (photo 2). Any ideas? Thanks, Cindy
        That outlet was just flopping around loose?! And the breaker for it turned on? Wow. I'll have to go looking for mine.

That outlet is a 20-amp circuit that can carry a bit more load than nearly all the others in your trailer. The only other two that you could easily plug into are the washer and dryer outlets in the bedroom closet.

The argument FOR installing that on the dining side of the island as you suggest is that it's on its own circuit, not shared with any other outlet or device. You could run a high-demand appliance like a toaster / kettle / heater coffee-maker on it while also running another high-demand appliance on one of the 15-amp circuits on the other side of the island.

The arguments AGAINST doing it are

(a) you can already run two high-demand appliances at the same time, one plugged into the island and the other plugged in by the stove; if you were intent on running three at the same time people might think you were just showing off , so

(b) it seems like work for not much benefit, and not an attractive addition to the cabinetry on the dining side of the island, and

(c) if you (or the people you sell your trailer to) want a dishwasher in the future then the un-powered outlet would remain installed in the cabinetry while the circuit was reattached to an interior outlet usable by the dishwasher.

Each to their own! If you proceed you might consider using a "real" box and outlet rather than the RV plastic stuff.
        Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

But I'm wondering if I couldn't add the outlet to the front of the island (photo 2). Any ideas?
          I did just that. Installed a GFCI outlet to the galley side of the island. Sorry, no pic; RV is in storage.

But a dedicated 20 amp circuit for things like an electric fry-pan or even a current-hungry space heater made a lot of sense to me. I say go for it.

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
          Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
          2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
          18k B&W Companion, non-slider
          640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
          Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
          Somerset, WI

Comment

My thanks to everyone who responded.... Yes, Mark, the outlet was just loose and if I hadn't changed the faucet, I never would have known.
            .... definitely will consider everyone's input.... I admit I'm leaning toward putting the outlet on the dining side of the island since I do use a space heater... although I do try not to show off ..... just the dog & me livin' the RV life ..
            Cindy
            2022 Solitude 3330RE
            Cindy & Xena

Comment

This electrical outlet is part of the dishwasher prep. You should also have a cold water (blue) hose down there that is capped off.
              Brian & Kellie
              2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
              2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
              2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
              2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Working...
              X