Failing bedroom ceiling lights in 2020 Solitude 310GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failing bedroom ceiling lights in 2020 Solitude 310GK

Has anybody else had a problem with the bedroom ceiling lights (mousetrap style) failing in their 2020 Solitude? Two of the four in ours stopped working. I have power to the wires and swapped a failed light for a good one to confirm it's the light fixtures themselves. The failed lights started flickering before they stopped working. A third one is flickering now. Just curious if anybody else has experienced this.

Here is the part#
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2399.jpg
Views:	1050
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	17904
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Brian

Just trying to state the obvious , it does say "bad" on the back so I would assume they put a "bad" one or 2 or 3 in your unit.

It is possible , highly I would think , that they got a "bad" batch of lights. We have not had any issues with ours for 2 years. Terrible that you are having these issues with a new unit. Maybe check with GD and have them send you 6 lights or so , or maybe ask for replacements for all.

The other Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Hah! No, I asked my wife to label the "good" and "bad" lights so we wouldn't mix them up. Sorry for the confusion.
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
        Has anybody else had a problem with the bedroom ceiling lights (mousetrap style) failing in their 2020 Solitude? Two of the four in ours stopped working. I have power to the wires and swapped a failed light for a good one to confirm it's the light fixtures themselves. The failed lights started flickering before they stopped working. A third one is flickering now. Just curious if anybody else has experienced this.

Here is the part#
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2399.jpg
Views:	1050
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	17904
        I had two go bad on my '19 315RLTS. One flickered, the other has completely died. They are all the same lights (two different diameters in some cases) but all from Facon. I'm sure GD Customer Service will send you replacements without any issues. (My trailer is out of warranty so I didn't even ask.)
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I contacted my dealer. Hopefully they will get back to me.
          Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Made in Chy-na. I get so sick of this. Not just with rv stuff either. Its so hard to buy quality stuff these days.
            2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate 4x4, magnetic grey
            2019 Momentum 381M w/Reese Goosebox 2.0, no FBP :(

Comment

I contacted my dealer. Hopefully they will get back to me.
              If they don't, try contacting GD directly. They've been pretty good about shipping parts under warranty directly to owners.
              Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

So now all four bedroom ceiling lights have failed and one in the main room is dim. These lights have a total of maybe an hour on them. The dealer has ordered replacements. Just waiting...
                Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

I got the replacement LED "mousetrap" ceiling lights from my dealer today. Four are different from the ones I removed. I also learned that the light that failed in the living area above the entrance door is actually a wiring problem, not the light. I think there may be a loose wire going from that light to another fixture. I'm installing a mobile cellular router right now but when I complete that work I'll try to find the source of the bad wire. Wish I had a wiring diagram for the ceiling lights!
                  Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

. . . Wish I had a wiring diagram for the ceiling lights!
                    Hi Brian,

I have never seen a wiring diagram (for any Grand Design product) to the level of detail that you are looking for. They do have drawing definition of which devices are on which circuits, but how these devices are connected together is left up to the assembly plant. If you contact Grand Design with your VIN, they will likely provide you with what they have . . . although, I don't think it will answer the question you are asking.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

bertschb

I see you suspect a wiring problem.....loose ground maybe so the “flickering” makes sense! Have you noted any other 12V issues besides lights?
                      Just seems like a lot of bad lights to me. It might be worth checking voltages at a few locations? How many batteries are you using? No chance you have 24 V is there at the lights?
                      Keith and Diane
                      2014 Reflection 337 RLS
                      2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Kksfish View Post
                        bertschbI see you suspect a wiring problem.....loose ground maybe so the “flickering” makes sense! Have you noted any other 12V issues besides lights?
                        Just seems like a lot of bad lights to me. It might be worth checking voltages at a few locations? How many batteries are you using? No chance you have 24 V is there at the lights?
                        No other 12v issues. I have two fully charged LiFePO4 batteries. I tested all four bedroom ceiling lights and the wiring. The wires tested at 13.?v. The lights were all bad. I actually connected the lights directly to one of my batteries just to verify it wasn't a wiring issue (I'm not an electrician).

The one mistake I made was assuming the light in the main living area was just another bad light like all the bedroom lights. I replaced that light and it still didn't work. I then tested the light with my battery and it worked fine. So, it's a wiring issue. I plan to work on that today to see what the problem is. I'll start by checking the wiring at the nearest lights and go from there. I'd rather go without lights than take my RV to the dealer so I hope I can figure it out.
                        Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Another ceiling light has failed. That's six failed ceiling lights now. I suspect it's just a matter of time before they all fail as I'm guessing I got a bad batch of lights. Do you guys think Grand Design would send me six more lights as a pro-active measure rather than my having to wait until each one fails and then drive to the dealer each time to get a replacement?
                          Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Another ceiling light has failed. That's six failed ceiling lights now. I suspect it's just a matter of time before they all fail as I'm guessing I got a bad batch of lights. Do you guys think Grand Design would send me six more lights as a pro-active measure rather than my having to wait until each one fails and then drive to the dealer each time to get a replacement?
                            My wife called my dealer and they didn't have any replacement lights in stock. She then asked if they could order some. The guy said yes. My wife then asked if they would contact us when they came in. The guy actually told her no because he said he would forget. He said she needed to keep calling back to see if they came in. That's not going to happen so I sent a service request to Grand Design through their web site. I'm hoping they can mail me some replacement lights.
                            Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

My wife called my dealer and they didn't have any replacement lights in stock. She then asked if they could order some. The guy said yes. My wife then asked if they would contact us when they came in. The guy actually told her no because he said he would forget. He said she needed to keep calling back to see if they came in. That's not going to happen so I sent a service request to Grand Design through their web site. I'm hoping they can mail me some replacement lights.
                              Please keep us updated, Brian.
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                              X