No announcement yet.

Failing bedroom ceiling lights in 2020 Solitude 310GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest Update: Came back to the RV this evening after being away all day and flipped the "Interior LT" switch on the control panel and none of the main ceiling lights came on. It was late and since all the other lights in the RV worked fine, I ignored it. I had removed one of the lights the day before yesterday because it started flickering and all the rest worked fine until this evening.

The next two days are travel days so I'll troubleshoot it next week when we arrive at our new RV lot at Outdoor Resort Palm Springs- Woohoo!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-30 at 9.07.23 PM.png
Views:	356
Size:	938.1 KB
ID:	20130
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

OK, it's time to figure out why the ceiling lights stopped working and my ignorance of all things electrical will be on full display here so please be nice. I checked for power at the wires where I removed the failed light and the voltage is all over the map. I was expecting 0 or 12-13v so I clearly have no idea what I'm doing with my multimeter. The other interesting thing is the light on the switch itself does not come on when I flip the switch on. Bad switch? I removed the power panel and there are three wires connected to the switch. Can somebody tell me how to check to see if the switch is bad? I'd prefer not to remove a switch that I know works and trying that one. I don't want to mess with removing and swapping that many wires.

Some background-
      The rear-most street side ceiling light started flickering then faded. This same thing happened to the ceiling lights in the bedroom before they failed. I replaced the ceiling lights in the bedroom and they are all working fine now. After removing the failed ceiling light in the living area, I left the bare wires hanging down until I could get my replacement light from GD. The rest of the lights worked fine for about two days before we came home one day and flipped the switch on and none of the ceiling lights worked.

Name:	light switch.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	20481
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
        OK, it's time to figure out why the ceiling lights stopped working and my ignorance of all things electrical will be on full display here so please be nice. I checked for power at the wires where I removed the failed light and the voltage is all over the map. I was expecting 0 or 12-13v so I clearly have no idea what I'm doing with my multimeter. The other interesting thing is the light on the switch itself does not come on when I flip the switch on. Bad switch? I removed the power panel and there are three wires connected to the switch. Can somebody tell me how to check to see if the switch is bad? I'd prefer not to remove a switch that I know works and trying that one. I don't want to mess with removing and swapping that many wires.

Some background-
        The rear-most street side ceiling light started flickering then faded. This same thing happened to the ceiling lights in the bedroom before they failed. I replaced the ceiling lights in the bedroom and they are all working fine now. After removing the failed ceiling light in the living area, I left the bare wires hanging down until I could get my replacement light from GD. The rest of the lights worked fine for about two days before we came home one day and flipped the switch on and none of the ceiling lights worked.

Click image for larger version  Name:	light switch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.2 KB ID:	20481
        Its kind of hard without being in front of it but here goes:

With 3 wires on the switch (and a pilot light) that means you have a ground going to it as well as a hot and a load. You should see 12ish volts between the hot (probably the single red wire) and the ground (the white). You should have nothing between the load (probably the two red wires) and the ground with the switch off. When you flip the switch on you should get that same voltage (12ish) between the load and ground.

That is all the testing you can do without pulling the wires off. With the wires off flip your meter to ohms, and read between the hot and load and you should get infinite with the switch off and close to zero with it on.

For good measure you could pull the load wires off (probably the two red wires) and see what the voltage between ground and the load terminal is with the switch on. If that is different than with the wire connected, that would tell you that you have a wiring problem (assuming all the lights are removed).
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro Thanks for the quick reply. This is what I found so far.

Name:	IMG_2552-1.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	20492
          Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

The red wires connected to the "left most" post on the picture above are also connected to several more switches on the panel. The center single red wire goes into the wiring harness (and presumably up into the ceiling?).
            Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

The red wires connected to the "left most" post on the picture above are also connected to several more switches on the panel. The center single red wire goes into the wiring harness (and presumably up into the ceiling?).
              Okay so the single wire is your load. If you take that wire off and turn on the switch what do you read between the load terminal and ground?
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Okay so the single wire is your load. If you take that wire off and turn on the switch what do you read between the load terminal and ground?
                It reads 1.5(ish) volts. With the load (center) wire off, the light on the switch is now illuminated when the switch is "on".
                Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	light switch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.2 KB ID:	20481
                  Hey Brian,

Off topic, but. . .

When you get things under control, I have a favor to ask. In your attachment, there's a Green monitor panel whose led lights on the opposite side tell the various tank water levels, battery SOC, etc. For reference, the legend-label on this Green monitor panel is upside down.

Notice the last two tank items in the legend are GRY => GRY 1, ORG => GRY 2.

On my rig, the GRY wire is hooked up, but the ORG wire is not connected -- so I don't get a gray tank 2 readout. Could you please tell me (and post a pic) of what your ORG wire is connected to?

My original question was here:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-or-by-dealer

-Steve
                  2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                  Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                  2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                  18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                  640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                  Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                  Somerset, WI

Comment

It reads 1.5(ish) volts. With the load (center) wire off, the light on the switch is now illuminated when the switch is "on".
                    That’s strange. Must be a bad switch. With the load removed when you flip the switch on you should get the same voltage between the load and ground that you get from the hot to ground.

I don’t blame you for not being comfortable to try this, but if it was me I would short the hot wires and the load wire and see if the lights work normally, but that’sa not tricky and you would need to be very careful. With the troubleshooting you did I Wild replace the switch.

Neil Citro

Comment

...but if it was me I would short the hot wires and the load wire and see if the lights work normally..
                      What is the risk? I have no problem doing this I just don't want to make matters worse.
                      Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

What is the risk? I have no problem doing this I just don't want to make matters worse.
                        The hot wire just can’t touch any path to ground, so basically avoid anything metal so you don’t short anything it. Either twist or just hold the two wires together and the lights should come on, hopefully normally. You can ignore the ground wires, they’re just there to make the pilot light work.

Neil Citro

Comment

The hot wire just can’t touch any path to ground, so basically avoid anything metal so you don’t short anything it. Either twist or just hold the two wires together and the lights should come on, hopefully normally. You can ignore the ground wires, they’re just there to make the pilot light work.
                          OK, I touched the hot wire to the load wire and the lights came on. So bad switch?
                          Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

OK, I touched the hot wire to the load wire and the lights came on. So bad switch?
                            I’d say so. You could throw some tape around them and leave them on for a little bit if you want to be sure, but I’m confident.

Neil Citro

Comment

I’d say so. You could throw some tape around them and leave them on for a little bit if you want to be sure, but I’m confident.
                              Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it! I've submitted a request for a replacement switch.
                              Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it! I've submitted a request for a replacement switch.
                                No problem glad I could help. Follow up with us once you get the parts in.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                                X