Failing bedroom ceiling lights in 2020 Solitude 310GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GDRV-Megan View Post
    If you send me your VIN and the email that you used to send your request in, I can look into this for you. Thanks!
    PM sent

Thanks GDRV-Megan !
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Update:
      Still haven't heard from Grand Design. C'mon guys! This is a $1 part! I'm a three time Grand Design buyer. Help me out!!! OK, I feel a little better now

I went ahead and ordered a switch from Amazon. The description was very poor as far as dimensions go but I was desperate to get it quick so I ordered it with Prime. It didn't fit. That was a waste of time and money. Still no ceiling lights.

The switch that gbkims provided a link to looks like it will fit. Unlike Amazon, the JR Products web site lists the actual dimensions. But, that switch is $19 with shipping. Not too excited about spending $24 so far to get this stupid switch replaced (just out of principle) since I can't get grand Design to reply but we haven't had ceiling lights for two weeks now and my wife isn't very happy about that. So I'll bite the bullet and pay $19 for this $1 part.

If the new switch works, that will be great but I will still have one defective light missing from the ceiling. No replacement light yet from Grand Design either.
      Last edited by bertschb; 06-15-2020, 04:13 PM.
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
        Update:
        Still haven't heard from Grand Design. C'mon guys! This is a $1 part! I'm a three time Grand Design buyer. Help me out!!! OK, I feel a little better now

I went ahead and ordered a switch from Amazon. The description was very poor as far as dimensions go but I was desperate to get it quick so I ordered it with Prime. It didn't fit. That was a waste of time and money. Still no ceiling lights.

The switch that gbkims provided a link to looks like it will fit. Unlike Amazon, the JR Products web site lists the actual dimensions. But, that switch is $19 with shipping. Not too excited about spending $24 so far to get this stupid switch replaced (just out of principle) since I can't get grand Design to reply but we haven't had ceiling lights for two weeks now and my wife isn't very happy about that. So I'll bite the bullet and pay $19 for this $1 part.

If the new switch works, that will be great but I will still have one defective light missing from the ceiling. No replacement light yet from Grand Design either.
        I'm a bit late, Amazon has the JR switch: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=B002UC2T1Y&ref=nb_sb_noss
        Gene and Kim
        2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
        2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
          I'm a bit late, Amazon has the JR switch: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=B002UC2T1Y&ref=nb_sb_noss
          I saw that but it looks like a 2 pole switch even though the part# is the same as the 3 pole switch I ordered from the RVUpgradeStore (from the previous link you shared). Hopefully I'll get this new switch by the end of the week.
          Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

bertschb -- I do not any "insider" information, but from reading the news the Elkhart area is struggling right now with COVID-19. The folks at GD are still the same great people we've come to know, but I suspect they are under a tremendous strain right now.

That is 100% opinion--not making excuses for them and the apparent lack of responsiveness--just trying to align what I know about the people at GD and the reality of the world right now.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              The folks at GD are still the same great people we've come to know
              Oh I know Howard. I'm just whining. I realize my problems are minor.

The biggest challenge with replacing this switch is just getting the correct part. That's where it would have been nice hearing back from Grand Design. I think this second switch I ordered today is the correct size so I should have lights by the end of this week (I hope).

My next task is to find the correct replacement ceiling light and get that ordered from Amazon.
              Last edited by bertschb; 06-15-2020, 09:47 PM.
              Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Oh I know Howard. I'm just whining. I realize my problems are minor.

The biggest challenge with replacing this switch is just getting the correct part. That's where it would have been nice hearing back from Grand Design. I think this second switch I ordered today is the correct size so I should have lights by the end of this week (I hope).

My next task is to find the correct replacement ceiling light and get that ordered from Amazon.
                I realize it’s not ideal, but if the one you got is just the wrong side you should be able to connect it up and let it hang out of the hole. You seemed pretty comfortable with live wires when I had you short then to test the lights, this should be a step better than that. You could throw a wrap or two of electrical tape around it and you’d be good short term.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Latest update:
                  It took a month but we finally got the replacement ceiling light from Grand Design. I installed it this afternoon. I got the replacement light switch from Amazon last week. Sooooo, we now have ceiling lights again in the main living area! WhooHoo!!! BTW, I used those self-solder heat shrink butt connectors to splice the wires. They worked great.

Now we'll just see how long the rest of the ceiling lights last. So far we've lost four in the bedroom and one in the main living area.
                  Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Rather than start a new thread on the same topic, we have now become members of the failed puck light club. Three of the lights in the main living area have started flickering (pulsing brighter than their baseline brightness). The manufacturer of these "lights from another country" must not have much of a quality management program. It became distracting enough that I pulled two good lights from the bedroom to replace the worst ones in the living room since we don't spend that much time in the bedroom with the lights on. I just got off the phone with GD and the parts are on order... I just hope they're not on back-order like the silicone grommets for the Furrion cooktop.

Rob
                    Rob & Laura
                    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Rob-

I just replaced another living area ceiling light yesterday. I've replaced all the bedroom lights and I think three living area lights. The good news is Grand Design sent me three replacement lights (I have one left). The bad news is they are the same brand/model as the ones that are failing. Oh, the other good news is these light failures have introduced me to the new self-solder shrink tube butt connectors. Those are pretty cool!
                      Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Just had another ceiling light fail in the main living area. We are documenting which ones we've replaced to see if the replacement lights start failing since they are the same part number and manufacture date as the originals.
                        Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Just had another ceiling light fail in the main living area. We are documenting which ones we've replaced to see if the replacement lights start failing since they are the same part number and manufacture date as the originals.
                          Good idea. I'll label the backs of the replacements with the date as I install them.

Rob
                          Rob & Laura
                          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                          2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                          (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Working...
                          X