Quick 12v question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick 12v question

2020 2600rb front side marker light. I have a white and a green wire. I believe the white is -12v and the green is +12v. Is that correct?
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    Andersen Hitch
    2021 Reflection 337rls

Originally posted by ckreef View Post
    2020 2600rb front side marker light. I have a white and a green wire. I believe the white is -12v and the green is +12v. Is that correct?
    You would need to measure each to chassis ground. You should not have -12 volts anywhere. It is +12 volts and ground. If you measure between the wires, the polarity will depend on which the + (Red typically) meter lead is connected to. Connecting the meter across the two wires would measure either +12 or -12. Best way to find out is to measure to chassis ground. One of those two wires would be at chassis ground.
    Tony G
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Highcountry
    2016 Grand Designs Reflection 303RLS
    KTM 250XC

Comment

Yes, It gets its power from the 7-pin plug when the tow vehicle lights are on.
      Norm & Karla
      2019 Imagine 2150rb
      2018 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
      2016 - 2018 Hobie Kayaks

Comment

TY - green is +12v and white is ground.
        Charles and Susan
        Andersen Hitch
        2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

ckreef
          Generally in our trailer 12V wiring, white is always ground and the colored wire power (+12v). For the 110V wiring, solid green and plain copper are ground and white is neutral (not ground). On the 110V side never ground a white wire as it can lead to a hot trailer and dangerous shock hazard. It has happen to me in the past.

However GD did use white with a stripe color on them. Example white with green stripe or white with red stripe. I have run across a few, especially in the speaker wiring.(A topic for another time)

The best suggestion given here is pick up a meter - Even the cheep $10 ones will work for you on the trailer. They are easy to use (lots of u-tube videos available). When I am working on 12v and need power on to check things, I put tape or a wired nut on the loose colored wire so it will not contact the white or ground itself on the trailer frame. Its easy to do and have spare fuses handy.

Have fun.
          Hope this helps.
          Keith

BTW I am not and electrician - I am a civil engineer PE. My electrical experience is self taught after some minimal classes, and I have blown a few fuse's and gotten shocked in my time learning. My finest one was blowing up a battery when I dropped a wrench. Fortunately I was not injured - wrench was melted though. Thats why when I pull or work near a battery I cover the positive terminal and pull the negative off.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
            ckreef

However GD did use white with a stripe color on them. Example white with green stripe or white with red stripe. I have run across a few, especially in the speaker wiring.(A topic for another time)
            I'm good with 110v wiring. I have multi meter for 12v, I just wanted to know what to expect. From what I saw GD had 2 different situations for that front marker light but they are really the same.

A sperate green and a separate white wire. They also used a two wire combination which is white with one side having a green stripe. If you split that two wire apart you end up with a white wire and a white wire with a green stripe.

I have a picture of this I'll post probably tomorrow with a different DIY mod post.

Charles and Susan
            Andersen Hitch
            2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

I'm good with 110v wiring. I have multi meter for 12v, I just wanted to know what to expect. From what I saw GD had 2 different situations for that front marker light but they are really the same.

A sperate green and a separate white wire. They also used a two wire combination which is white with one side having a green stripe. If you split that two wire apart you end up with a white wire and a white wire with a green stripe.

I have a picture of this I'll post probably tomorrow with a different DIY mod post.

Sounds like your on top of it. Happy wiring and stay safe.
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
              X