Battery Compartment electrical Connectors - Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Compartment electrical Connectors - Size

I am cleaning up my utility bay that has two Batteries for the 375RES-R Solitude. The connectors for the battery's i converted the wiring to 4AWAG where necessary with the correct 4AWG 5/16 lugs, battery posts and the new Blue sea cut off switches being 4AWG 3/8 lugs. Question - The GD installed Bus bar connectors are what size post holes? I'm needing to reconfigure the wiring to these posts from the cut off switch. The cut off switch will have a 4 or 6 AWG 3/8 lug on one end. Its the connection to the Bus bar needing to know size?

Thanks

Gary F
    Gary F
    2020 Solitude 375RES-R
    2019 Ford Super Duty diesel Dually

By the GD Buss bar do you mean where the auto reset breakers are? If so then the screw size on the breakers are 10-32 , at least on our Reflection unit. So you would need a #10 hole or 1/4" should work but it will be a little sloppy.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      By the GD Buss bar do you mean where the auto reset breakers are? If so then the screw size on the breakers are 10-32 , at least on our Reflection unit. So you would need a #10 hole or 1/4" should work but it will be a little sloppy.

Brian
      Yes - The Bus bar with reset's. 1/4 or #10 should do it. I found the original Mfg Hillsdale Terminals who made the ones on my Solitude. #6 with 1/4" diameter mounting hole.

Thank you
      Gary F
      2020 Solitude 375RES-R

Comment

I know i am responding to my own conversation here however maybe it will help others. With having two batteries since my trailer has the 1k inverter. Having batteries hooked up in parallel causes a lot of wire and terminal traffic on top of the batteries and back wall. I placed the batteries into a large Husky store bought container and secured to the floor correctly with venting. Having a larger and deeper battery container allowed me to clean up and shorten the wiring from the batteries to the outside new cut off switches. Shorter is better from what i've read. Every connection (all eight) going to the batteries had the incorrect lug diameter connector, meaning the battery posts accept 5/16 lugs not 3/8. The 3/8 lugs were to big. The 5/16 lugs i made sure were installed with shrink tubing covering the exposed ends and the cold welds done correctly. I am waiting for the two battery cut off switches to arrive so i can continue wiring the unit for final completion. So far, materials needed for this was 8 5/16 lugs, 8 3/8 lugs and 2 1/4 lugs all for combo wiring of 4AWG & 6AWG. The wiring i bought from Windy Nation, 15 feet of red 4AWG welding wire and 3 feet of black.

More to come....
        Gary F
        2020 Solitude 375RES-R

Comment

Originally posted by fowlergk View Post
          I know i am responding to my own conversation here however maybe it will help others. With having two batteries since my trailer has the 1k inverter. Having batteries hooked up in parallel causes a lot of wire and terminal traffic on top of the batteries and back wall. I placed the batteries into a large Husky store bought container and secured to the floor correctly with venting. Having a larger and deeper battery container allowed me to clean up and shorten the wiring from the batteries to the outside new cut off switches. Shorter is better from what i've read. Every connection (all eight) going to the batteries had the incorrect lug diameter connector, meaning the battery posts accept 5/16 lugs not 3/8. The 3/8 lugs were to big. The 5/16 lugs i made sure were installed with shrink tubing covering the exposed ends and the cold welds done correctly. I am waiting for the two battery cut off switches to arrive so i can continue wiring the unit for final completion. So far, materials needed for this was 8 5/16 lugs, 8 3/8 lugs and 2 1/4 lugs all for combo wiring of 4AWG & 6AWG. The wiring i bought from Windy Nation, 15 feet of red 4AWG welding wire and 3 feet of black.

More to come....
          Windy Nation is what I used on my build, too. If you've seen Will Prowse's video on wiring and connectors you know he's a fan, too. (Google "DIY Solar" on YouTube if not familiar with Will.)

And shorter is DEFINITELY better when it comes to a 12v system! That's why my batteries and and inverter are all in my passthru, very close together.

If you get a chance, post some pics as you progress through the project. There's always someone interested.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

95% complete. One more wire to connect to the Fused buss bar that powers the coach. Waiting for the 6 AWG 1/4 post connector to arrive via Amazon. The battery compartment lid is a pic from earlier when i installed it. Its vented and secured. Decided to utilize two switches instead of a combo one for both batteries, just my preference. Wiring to the batteries has all the same 5/16 connectors and the 3/8 connectors heading to the switches have been replaced as well.

Before i started the batteries were in two separated boxes with wiring way to long heading into and out of the boxes. The lids fit too tight and had the wiring all compressed and pinched against the sides of the boxes. Surprisingly, all the connectors to the batteries were 3/8 lugs not 5/16. Way too big in my opinion.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200520_152122.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.9 KB ID:	19070Click image for larger version  Name:	20200520_152105.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.9 KB ID:	19071Click image for larger version  Name:	20200508_120056.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.6 KB ID:	19072
            Attached Files
            Last edited by fowlergk; 05-20-2020, 03:13 PM.
            Gary F
            2020 Solitude 375RES-R

Comment

Working...
            X