Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing OEM 120V "House to Stranded Flex" Connectors

Cate&Rob ,

I know I've seen documentation of what you did with these connectors but I can't find it. I also looked through all of my library information (stocked full of your PDFs!) but couldn't find it there, either.

Will you please repost what you did with these or point me to your previous thread?

I'm adding this to my "down under" list of issues to tackle while the coroplast is down. (The list is getting longer...ugh...)

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	Connectors.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	19373
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

howson

Hi Howard,

I can't find that previous discussion either . . . I've tried searching various key words, but nothing found. Maybe this discussion was at the "other place"?

In any case, I have three circuits going to the slide and one had burned the OEM connector. The group of three were stuffed into the underbelly where they were being pushed around by the retracting slide from the other side. So, I replaced all there with standard 120V three prong extension cord ends. I would have used twist-lock ends but could not get these at the time, so went with what was available. I secured them up high where they stay dry (and don't get pushed around by a retracting slide rail) and these connections have been fine ever since. They are the three white connectors in the upper left of the second picture.

Rob
    Attached Files
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      Cate&Rob ,

I know I've seen documentation of what you did with these connectors but I can't find it. I also looked through all of my library information (stocked full of your PDFs!) but couldn't find it there, either.

Will you please repost what you did with these or point me to your previous thread?

I'm adding this to my "down under" list of issues to tackle while the coroplast is down. (The list is getting longer...ugh...)

Howard

Click image for larger version  Name:	Connectors.JPG Views:	34 Size:	126.2 KB ID:	19373
      Howard - is there an issue with them? When I did my speaker fix I ran across connectors like in you picture (they were tight) but I left them alone.
      Last edited by Yoda; 05-24-2020, 11:36 AM.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Howard - is there an issue with them? When I did my speaker fix I ran across connectors like in you picture (thy were tight) but I left them alone.
        Good point, Keith . . . I was forced to find an alternative to replace a damaged connector . . . and chose to do all three while I was at it. I have the original connections on the other end of the flex wire (inside the slide) and these are fine.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
          ...is there an issue with them?
          Cate&Rob and Yoda

Rob / Keith,
          I haven't given the connectors a close inspection. If I find nothing wrong with them, I will leave them alone. What I will do is route the wires going to/from them in such a way that there's no way for them to get tangled in the slide mechanisms. There's a LOT of extra wire, and they were loosely tied together up in the frame.

My inquiry was to be prepared "just in case". I'm trying to tackle everything I can think of while the coroplast is down. (Unfortunately my experience lowering the coroplast was not an easy one. More on that in a much later thread sequence when everything else is done.)

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

My connector (picture in post 2) was obviously broken, burned and the cause of a power outage on that circuit. One of the good things about the original connectors is that they are clear plastic so you can look inside to see how well the wires are engaged with the retaining clips. Putting these connectors together takes a special tool . . . if any of the internal connections are suspect, it is easy to replace that connection with "normal parts" from the hardware store.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

One of mine failed a year or so ago. The little "U" clips that hold it together had broken allowing it to come loose causing an intermittent disconnect (and a bit of sparking.) I rewired with wire nuts and secured so it wouldn't bounce around like the OEM connector apparently did. I then checked the others. The clips were fine so I just put tie wraps around them to secure in case the little clips broke and then secured them to reduce bouncing around. No issues since.

And yes, I believe the conversation was "else ware"
              Jim (& Sharon)
              2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
              2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
              The toys:
              2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
              2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Working...
              X