Lithium + Victron + Solar Install and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sanjoserob View Post
    Here's an idea for some wire management. nice and tidy: https://www.facebook.com/QualityRVSo...25112807678278
    Nice pic. Like what he did. Also, like what he did with the plexiglass.
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by sanjoserob View Post

Thanks bellis ! you saved me a ton of time trying to match the stain and I can get to work wiring this thing up! Now, I just need to get measurements for the hatch door on the XLS series to see if the panel will fit with everything assembled!
      sanjose:

One thing I wish I had done differently. I wish I had made my battery shelf about an inch deeper. I was trying to keep it close to inline with the existing docking station depth...but that didn't pan out anyway. That way the terminals and cables would fit inside the shelf a little better. Just food for thought.
      2020 Imagine 2400BH
      2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Steve,
        The response on Facebook:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Answer.JPG
Views:	3000
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	19514

Howard
        steve&renee I am way behind on a follow up post....I have been re-reading old posts. I think the above is no longer correct. My Multiplus has 2 AC inputs.
        2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post
          My Multiplus has 2 AC inputs.
          ??? What Multiplus do you have?
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

??? What Multiplus do you have?
            Multiplus 12/3000/120. Description on invoice = "PMP123021102 - Multiplus 12/3000/120-50 120v VE Bus"

I think one is meant for a generator? I am only using the one. I would have to pull the cover and double check....I am using one AC in and one AC out. It has an additional AC and I am pretty sure it was input....only 1 AC output.

There is also 2 terminals on the + and - side for 12VDC.
            2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Multiplus 12/3000/120. Description on invoice = "PMP123021102 - Multiplus 12/3000/120-50 120v VE Bus"
              I think one is meant for a generator? I am only using the one. I would have to pull the cover and double check....I am using one AC in and one AC out. It has an additional AC and I am pretty sure it was input....only 1 AC output.
              One AC-IN, 2 AC Out, 2nd is limited.

There's a photo of the connections on this site: https://shop.pkys.com/Victron-Energy...02_p_2431.html
              Gene and Kim
              2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
              2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Your confusion is mine, too. I've got two Victron devices and I think they're both "top shelf". But, man, their product literature sucks. It's baffling to me.

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                Somerset, WI

Comment

Gene's description is correct--the 2nd ac output is "limited" and will only work when the external ("shore") ac is available on the input. AC output 1 is the inverter output which passes shore power. Note the inverter must be on or shore power will not pass thru the inverter (one of the few things I don't like about the Victron).
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Gene's description is correct--the 2nd ac output is "limited" and will only work when the external ("shore") ac is available on the input. AC output 1 is the inverter output which passes shore power. Note the inverter must be on or shore power will not pass thru the inverter (one of the few things I don't like about the Victron).
                    That's probably what mine is then...and I just couldn't remember which.

Will try to get an update out soon. Have made some progress and I think figured out the 12VDC side of things (OEM).
                    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

• Sorry all! Way behind on an update. A quick out of order recap.

1. Ground to frame completed + ground from multiplus.
                      2. DC power wire run to OEM power switch / other side of Factory OEM wire ran directly to +12VDC distribution bar.
                      3. HDMI and USB extension run from installed location to pass through.
                      4. Touch GX50 installed.
                      4. Some wire management completed.
                      5. Cerbo is communicating with smartshunt, multiplus, and MPPT via a cable.
                      6. Used the Cerbo to pull the settings of the multiplus and turn on UPS, change settings (BB was supposed to change charge settings and failed to do so). I then was able to push back using VRM.
                      7. Updated firmware on devices.
                      8. Replaced truck mirrors - but that is for another post: https://gdrvowners.com/towing-and-hi...ew-tow-mirrors
                      9. Turned off the CB and completely disconnected the AC to DC converter (WFCO?) It is still in the distribution panel for now, but is no wires are connected.

2 camping trips under my belt....another this weekend.

Things that still need done:
                      1. Install easystart.
                      2. Buy solar panels, wire, and install.
                      3. Test Black wire on truck / trailer disconnect from +12VDC? Test to see if the black wire have voltage when batteries are on without truck.
                      4. Hide the install or use plexiglass on the front. Haven't decided what I am going to do just yet.

Updated drawing posted. I changed the spot where the solar positive wire came in to after the battery master switch after thinking about it and input from @howson.

With the above, if my master battery switch is powered on....my powered jack, jack light, old battery wires, and emergency brake all have power. It is only when I turn on the OEM switch that the rest of the trailer has 12VDC power.

Questions:
                      1. I did not change which side the 12VDC wire is coming to on the self resetting circuit breaker. Do I need to? One side is brass (IE indicates power connected here). The way that it works is that if it heats up it separates and does not pass power. I would think this would be agnostic to which side it was connected to. I have tested my setup and voltage is flowing through the CB without issue.
                      2. Is it really imperative that I remove the black wire from the truck connection? As long as the truck is not hooked up when not towing? IE only have the towing connector hooked up while towing...not while parked. I am considering leaving it even though the charge amount is negligible to non-existent?
                      3. Any reason not to completely remove the WFCO (AC to DC converter/charger)?
                      4. Why is the circuit breaker for the WFCO converter charger slightly larger than the other breakers....even though it is the same amperage?

Updated electrical plan and included a very rough 12VDC diagram. At some point maybe I will have a few to make them look nicer. I need to get an updated pic of the wall in the pass through.

Name:	2ooRmlAw.jpeg
Views:	524
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	26861

Name:	NJddvl6A.jpeg
Views:	425
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	26860
                      Attached Files
                      2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

• bellis As someone dealing with an issue with their Victron Multiplus I’d recommend you leave your factory converter in place. If turned off it’s not hurting anyone, and it’s good to have a backup battery charger just in case. My case is probably rare, but my Multiplus won’t switch to shore power, and having the factory converter allows me a way to recharge the batteries and keep up with the drain.

Neil Citro
                        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

• bellis Tangent question. Does that cover (to the right of the picture) slide over the control panel, and your new monitor?

Did you construct that slide? (My 2017 doesn't appear to have it)
                          Mike
                          2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

• Originally posted by bellis View Post
                            1. I did not change which side the 12VDC wire is coming to on the self resetting circuit breaker. Do I need to? One side is brass (IE indicates power connected here). The way that it works is that if it heats up it separates and does not pass power. I would think this would be agnostic to which side it was connected to. I have tested my setup and voltage is flowing through the CB without issue.
                            I don't know the technical reasons for why, but the gold side of a self-resetting breaker is the power side and the silver is the load side. I suggest configuring your wires to match appropriately.
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	CB.JPG Views:	0 Size:	11.3 KB ID:	26918

2. Is it really imperative that I remove the black wire from the truck connection? As long as the truck is not hooked up when not towing? IE only have the towing connector hooked up while towing...not while parked. I am considering leaving it even though the charge amount is negligible to non-existent?
                            I'm not sure what's being asked...can you post a picture and clarify?

3. Any reason not to completely remove the WFCO (AC to DC converter/charger)?
                            Neil's ( ncitro ) point is valid. The only reason I removed mine is to make room for AMSolar's Smart Phase Selector and the hardwired Progressive Dynamics EMS. I'd highly suggest disabling it beyond just turning off the circuit breaker, though. You don't want to inadvertently power the WFCO while running your Victron inverter.

4. Why is the circuit breaker for the WFCO converter charger slightly larger than the other breakers....even though it is the same amperage?
                            No idea. It's the same in my 315RLTS. gbkims -- do you know? Jkwilson ? Anyone else?

Click image for larger version  Name:	converter.JPG Views:	0 Size:	134.2 KB ID:	26919

Comment

• I'd hazard the guess that they didn't need the extra circuit that a tandem circuit breaker provides, and just used a standard one.
                              Mike
                              2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

• Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                                bellis As someone dealing with an issue with their Victron Multiplus I’d recommend you leave your factory converter in place. If turned off it’s not hurting anyone, and it’s good to have a backup battery charger just in case. My case is probably rare, but my Multiplus won’t switch to shore power, and having the factory converter allows me a way to recharge the batteries and keep up with the drain.
                                What issue are you having with yours? Do you have a thread on it?

I haven't tried, but I do not believe my multiplus will power up on AC power...I think it has to have the 12VDC power. Would be great if it would power up either way....especially if it was in charge mode.
                                2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Working...
                                X