"Down Under" Electrical Work-- 99% Complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Down Under" Electrical Work-- 99% Complete

As documented numerous times by multiple individuals--what a rat's nest above the coroplast.

One very obvious item was the nearly 10' of extra speaker wire for each of the 4 outputs. In addition I found two of the outputs had crossed wires at the junction under the kitchen slide. This is not "dangerous"--what it does it put the audio "out-of-phase". (I'm not an audiophile but there's a lot of related information on the internet if you're curious.)

Below is a shot dramatically showing all the extra wire. (I had pulled it all to the back. While bad it wasn't quite as bad looking when I first pulled down the coroplast!)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Extra Wire.JPG Views:	19 Size:	291.3 KB ID:	21654

Sorry 'bout the ugly fingers in the pics!

Click image for larger version  Name:	wrong.JPG Views:	11 Size:	167.5 KB ID:	21655

Click image for larger version  Name:	right.JPG Views:	11 Size:	76.1 KB ID:	21656

I cut out all of the OEM connectors, shortened the speaker wires to a reasonable, manageable length and then re-connected them using quality heat shrink butt splices.

I'd like it to look better, but it's now much less prone to chafe or catch on the slideouts. I was tempted to shorten the AC lines, too, but after close inspection of the Molex connectors (they all looked perfect) I decided to leave well enough alone. That's why there's such a long loop of wire tied up in the back. There's a LOT of extra 120vAC wire (the soft black line that goes out to the slide).

Click image for larger version  Name:	not the cleanest.JPG Views:	11 Size:	224.4 KB ID:	21657

I could document for multiple paragraphs all the stuff I had to do, but I'll just write that in the end I decided to only tackle those items where there was a possibility of the wire getting caught in the slide mechanism or may chafe over time. From the front of the camper (literally--I disconnected the 7-pin harness and re-ran the wires from the BACK of the camper forward!) to the rear I zip tied, added split loom coil (which I secured together with gorilla tape). Wish I could have used heat shrink to make the loom look better but that was not possible.

An item I'd like to highlight: the two through-frame slide motor electrical connections. I don't have a "before" shot but the motors are connected to power and ground with wire nuts. On the dining slide the wires were loose. In both cases the amount of bare wire secured by the nut was quite small. I replaced the nuts with quality heat-shrink butt splices and then put an extra layer of heat shrink on top. Then I secured the wires so there's very little chance they will get caught in the mechanism.

If you have to drop the coroplast in the rear for any reason and you have electrical, through-frame slide(s), give those wire nuts a close look.

Click image for larger version  Name:	motor splices.JPG Views:	11 Size:	103.6 KB ID:	21658
    Howard

Last edited by howson; 12-02-2020, 07:23 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Howard,

Wow, what a difference!
    Gene and Kim
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
    2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      As documented numerous times by multiple individuals--what a rat's nest above the coroplast.

Better you than me, but I am sure that my turn will come.
      Last edited by howson; 06-16-2020, 05:55 AM. Reason: Shortened quote for ease of reading thread.
      Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
      Nash County, NC
      2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

One small item I forgot to mention: having a MORryde suspension has another benefit(?) when working under the trailer. What is it? The ability to "see the galaxy" in the middle of the day--without a telescope! Yessirreebob...ram your noggin into the suspension and like magic there's lots of stars to "see".

Finally tally: MORryde 2, Howard 0.

(Yes, it hurt!)
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Howson, you did an outstanding job! With my OCD and lack of knowledge about electrical wiring would surely get into deep trouble if I removed the coroplast and tried to “organize” wiring

I have a question regarding 2nd to last pic showing top view of IS, is that gas line able to be protected better since you have the coroplast down? Thinking about maybe putting gas line into a sleeve of PVC or other to protect from tire blowing or just chafing from vibration?
          Attached Files
          Vivian
          2018 Reflection 303rls
          Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
          Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Triplethreat
            The OEM wiring job has a name:........."Out of sight....Out of mind." I'm sure mine is probably the exact same as every other trailer that has been built by most every manufacturer....and one side of me says..."Tackle it and get it straightened out". The other side of me says....I'm not looking for another "career". Hmm....decisions, decisions!
            I only tackled the electrical because the coroplast was down (due to the stuck dump valves). The valve problem is what led to everything else. I've probably got another week or two of projects before the coroplast goes back on.

Comment

If you have to drop the coroplast in the rear for any reason ...
              Not sure if this has been asked yet or if you're planning any pics and documentation, but I'd be greatly interested in you starting a thread on re-installing the coroplast. I think it would be especially entertaining if you could do it one-handed while shooting a video for us.

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
              Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
              2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
              18k B&W Companion, non-slider
              640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
              Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
              Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                Howson, you did an outstanding job! With my OCD and lack of knowledge about electrical wiring would surely get into deep trouble if I removed the coroplast and tried to “organize” wiring

I have a question regarding 2nd to last pic showing top view of IS, is that gas line able to be protected better since you have the coroplast down? Thinking about maybe putting gas line into a sleeve of PVC or other to protect from tire blowing or just chafing from vibration?
                Thank you, Vivian. No where near what was expected (required!) at work, but I'm fairly certain the wiring is much better protected than when I started and that it won't get snagged on anything.

I actually thought about that gas line quite a bit. I don't know this, but I'm guessing the line is routed below the coroplast by the OEM in case of a leak. With it below the coroplast, a leak will vent to the atmosphere. Under the coroplast ("more protected") a leak will build up gas in the cavity under the trailer. That won't end good.

An additional sleeve for the gas line?

There will be some level of additional protection, but given the damage a strip of rubber violently striking the bottom of the camper can do...I doubt PVC would mitigate much, if any, resultant destruction to the gas line.

Howard

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post
                  I think it would be especially entertaining if you could do it one-handed while shooting a video for us.
                  Psychopath.

Yes, I'll document reinstalling the coroplast. It should be quite "entertaining" with all the stuff that's now in the way. I've only mentioned this to Rob in a private conversation--pulling it down didn't go well. With the MORryde suspension and storage tubes that were in the way...let's just say there are "multiple pieces" behind the trailer. I'm not even going to try reinstalling it as one piece (even if I bought a large roll as a replacement). Too hard. Too much in the way.

But that headache is a week or two away. Still have stuff to do while it's down. One problem at a time.

Comment

Howson, check out this product. I saw it used for some Forest River fifth wheels and I think a good option to the coroplast headache we have to deal with to repair valves, etc. I wonder if it could be a replacement?

https://www.rvwholesalesuperstore.co...-accessibelly/
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                    Demco Recon

Comment

Howard - howson - apologize for this post as it does not relate to the nicely done cleanup work you did but in your pictures it appears as though the inside edge tire tread is just about worn out. Is it just the picture angle or do you have a severe tire wear on the inside edge of that tire (or maybe other tires too ?)

Dan
                      Dan & Carol
                      2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                      2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
                        Howard - howson - apologize for this post as it does not relate to the nicely done cleanup work you did but in your pictures it appears as though the inside edge tire tread is just about worn out. Is it just the picture angle or do you have a severe tire wear on the inside edge of that tire (or maybe other tires too ?)

Dan
                        Yep, they are getting worn. Surprised me when I examined them up close. They'll get replaced at the end of this season (assuming the trailer moves out of the back yard). They have just over 16K miles on them and almost down to the wear markers.

Comment

Yep, they are getting worn. Surprised me when I examined them up close. They'll get replaced at the end of this season (assuming the trailer moves out of the back yard). They have just over 16K miles on them and almost down to the wear markers.
                          Trust the wear was attributable to some alignment or other issues with the original suspension/axles/etc. and will not be a factor with your MorRyde suspension ? I know there have been reports over the years with inside wear like this due to possible excess RV loaded weight vs suspension capabilities; bent axles/spindles; alignment; etc.

Dan
                          Dan & Carol
                          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Canyonlight ,
                            Not sure, Dan. The camper had 12,600 miles with the OEM suspension, so that's ~9,600 with the Goodyears on the original suspension. (I track mileage meticulously.) I'll have to have a conversation with MORryde (and show pictures) to get their .02 before installing new tires.

Comment

Just to add that Howard's wiring "discoveries" when he dropped the coroplast are not unusual at all. This is the construction standard of the towable RV industry as "regulated" by their RVIA inspections that we all pay a premium for. Not even in the same game as the requirements of residential/automotive/marine/aviation.

Attached are pictures from my Reflection 303RLS when I dropped the coroplast.

Rob
                              Attached Files
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X