Suggested fuse/breaker size given an Inverter wattage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggested fuse/breaker size given an Inverter wattage

I'm going to install an inverter into a newly acquired rv. I think on my last rv I may have gone overkill and upsized the inverter to a size far greater than I needed or would have a use for. The realistic goal of use is this: cpap, electric mattress pad, TV and blu-ray player. I guess in theory all three/four may be on at once, but that is extremely unlikely. I want to use an inverter with automatic power transfer because three outlets in the couch are already wired to a loop of romex in the pass through. The three outlets are all on one breaker in the main breaker/fuse box. If I put an inverter with APT at that loop of romex, the three outlets will always be powered whether on shore power or when the inverter is on.

All that said, I would ask what size fuse/breaker should I use given a 600 watt inverter APT, a 1000 watt inverter APT, or a 1500 watt inverter APT?

I can just about guarantee I won't be putting in a 1500 watt inverter but I thought I should add it to the question because one of the three outlets is in the kitchen. The inverter will be located approximately 4-5 feet from the batteries, two Battleborn 100ah lithiums.

Suggestions on the wire gauge size for each would also be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike
    Mike and Patti
    2019 Reflection 29RS
    2018 GMC CC 3500HD Duramax SRW Z71 4x4
    Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
    2 Battleborn Lithium, 300 watts Solar

Originally posted by Mikec557 View Post
    I'm going to install an inverter into a newly acquired rv. I think on my last rv I may have gone overkill and upsized the inverter to a size far greater than I needed or would have a use for. The realistic goal of use is this: cpap, electric mattress pad, TV and blu-ray player. I guess in theory all three/four may be on at once, but that is extremely unlikely. I want to use an inverter with automatic power transfer because three outlets in the couch are already wired to a loop of romex in the pass through. The three outlets are all on one breaker in the main breaker/fuse box. If I put an inverter with APT at that loop of romex, the three outlets will always be powered whether on shore power or when the inverter is on.

All that said, I would ask what size fuse/breaker should I use given a 600 watt inverter APT, a 1000 watt inverter APT, or a 1500 watt inverter APT?

I can just about guarantee I won't be putting in a 1500 watt inverter but I thought I should add it to the question because one of the three outlets is in the kitchen. The inverter will be located approximately 4-5 feet from the batteries, two Battleborn 100ah lithiums.

Suggestions on the wire gauge size for each would also be appreciated.

Thanks
    Mike
    Mike,
    Are you asking for the size of the 12v wires that run from the Battle Borns (BBs) to the inverter (whichever one you choose)? That answer is simple--the largest wire size the inverter will accept. Larger wire=less loss. Good, quality welding wire with copper lugs installed correctly. Not sure I'd use 4/0 wire with a 600W inverter, though. That may be way oversizing, especially on a short run.

For the fuse/breaker, that (I think) is driven by the wire size. You always want the fuse (or c/b) to give up before the wire does. If the wire is much more capable than what you'll be pulling, size your fuse or c/b accordingly.

I know this isn't very specific. That's because each manufacturer will have specific recommendations based on their unit and installation particulars. For example, I randomly went to Western Marine and selected a 600W inverter (ended up to be a Xantrex). The manual has the following chart for wiring on page 10:

Click image for larger version

Name:	instructions.JPG
Views:	2939
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	22137

I guess what I'm trying to say is choose the device, then the installation location and the wiring/fuse will be easy to determine as the manufacturer will likely have specific guidance.

BB is also a great resource! They are super helpful and will talk with you about a proper inverter selection based on your battery bank and usage.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Mike,
      Are you asking for the size of the 12v wires that run from the Battle Borns (BBs) to the inverter (whichever one you choose)? That answer is simple--the largest wire size the inverter will accept. Larger wire=less loss. Good, quality welding wire with copper lugs installed correctly. Not sure I'd use 4/0 wire with a 600W inverter, though. That may be way oversizing, especially on a short run.

For the fuse/breaker, that (I think) is driven by the wire size. You always want the fuse (or c/b) to give up before the wire does. If the wire is much more capable than what you'll be pulling, size your fuse or c/b accordingly.

I know this isn't very specific. That's because each manufacturer will have specific recommendations based on their unit and installation particulars. For example, I randomly went to Western Marine and selected a 600W inverter (ended up to be a Xantrex). The manual has the following chart for wiring on page 10:

Click image for larger version

Name:	instructions.JPG
Views:	2939
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	22137

I guess what I'm trying to say is choose the device, then the installation location and the wiring/fuse will be easy to determine as the manufacturer will likely have specific guidance.

BB is also a great resource! They are super helpful and will talk with you about a proper inverter selection based on your battery bank and usage.

Howard
      That's great insight Howard, I appreciate it. I saw on a (insert different RV manufacturer name here) just like my situation that they used a xantrex freedom X 1200 pure sinewave. That's probably a little more wattage than I need, but the unit fit in, and wired up, nicely in the pass-through. But I didn't pay attention to the wire gage used. I think I'll hunt down that user manual and see what it says, or maybe that page you posted will tell me. I need to study that.

Thanks again
      Mike
      Mike and Patti
      2019 Reflection 29RS

Comment

Xantrex has the recommended DC fuse and wire sizes. Minimum 2 Awg, 150A DC Fuse.
        Freedom X 1000 Inverter http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Pow...Rev-F)_ENG.pdf

Xantrex's other inverters:
        Inverter DC Fuse Wire
        600W 80A 4 Awg
        1000W 150A 2 Awg
        1500W 200A 1/0
        Gene and Kim
        2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
        2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
          Xantrex has the recommended DC fuse and wire sizes. Minimum 2 Awg, 150A DC Fuse.

Inverter DC Fuse Wire
          600W 80A 4 Awg
          1000W 150A 2 Awg
          1500W 200A 1/0
          You never cease to amaze me, Gene!
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

Inverter DC Fuse Wire
            600W 80A 4 Awg
            1000W 150A 2 Awg
            1500W 200A 1/0
            Thanks Gene
            I think I'm leaning toward this Xantrex. It's a little more than I was hoping to spend, but it's ease of installation is worth a lot to me too. I notice that I see two models too closely similar... the Freedom X 1000 and the Freedom X 1200. I think both are true sine wave and both are NOT chargers. It must be that one of the models is discontinued. Either way, 1000 or 1200, is more than enough.

Thanks
            Mike and Patti
            2019 Reflection 29RS

Comment

Working...
            X