Adding tail lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding tail lights

There are many posts on the net about replacing tail lights with brighter, usually LED, lights--including one in this forum by howson. But I've been unable to find many about adding tail lights, and none on adding them to anything other than toy haulers which usually seem to not have an interior wall in the rear so access to the wiring is easy.

I want to add vertical light bars on both sides--bigger, brighter, and higher, on our Solitude 310-GK. Have any braver souls done the drilling into the back of the rig, and how have you accessed the wiring? I haven't drilled into the wall, but I believe that the space is completely filled with foam insulation.

Maybe I just need to replace the Solitude with a new Momentum! (We did just buy a side-by-side!)

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    -Al
    Al and Kathe
    :No longer full-time. New sticks and bricks in East Helena, MT

2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett)
    2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)

Visited states map on the blog (below)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

howson Just did a write up on adding an additional pair of lights to his TT. I believe he went through a cabinet and reversed a piece of cove trim to cover the wire on the inside. You are correct, the walls are foam filled.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by lobsters View Post
      There are many posts on the net about replacing tail lights with brighter, usually LED, lights--including one in this forum by howson. But I've been unable to find many about adding tail lights, and none on adding them to anything other than toy haulers which usually seem to not have an interior wall in the rear so access to the wiring is easy.

I want to add vertical light bars on both sides--bigger, brighter, and higher, on our Solitude 310-GK. Have any braver souls done the drilling into the back of the rig, and how have you accessed the wiring? I haven't drilled into the wall, but I believe that the space is completely filled with foam insulation.

Maybe I just need to replace the Solitude with a new Momentum! (We did just buy a side-by-side!)

Thoughts?

Thanks,
      -Al
      It's near the end of the thread, Al--post 27: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...2121#post22121
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

It's near the end of the thread, Al--post 27: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...2121#post22121
        Geez... I'm going back to sleep now. Sorry.
        I may be able to do something similar. The 310 doesn't have those cabinets, but has little itty-bitty end things beside the couch that are completely enclosed. I can pull the staples on those if I take out the couch. That'll be interesting since we're full time. But it is a possibility. Thanks for the idea.
        -Al
        Al and Kathe
        :No longer full-time. New sticks and bricks in East Helena, MT

2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett)
        2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)

Visited states map on the blog (below)
        Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Comment

lobsters
          Hi Al,

Others have run the wires up the outside corners under the rubber insert in the corner trim strip.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I added additional taillights on my 303 using the 4 way plug near the receiver hitch for a power source. I found a plastic wire cover used to conceal television cables on a wall at Lowe's. This cover is about 1/2" wide and a perfect color match for the Reflection exterior wall. I ran the wiring straight up from the receiver hitch to the rear window then horizontally to each side where I mounted the new taillights. I used double sided foam tape to secure the new taillights and wiring to the exterior wall. I installed these over a year ago and so far the double sided tape is holding fine after several washes. The advantage of my method is no holes the the exterior wall.i would offer to post a picture but I don't know how.
            John & Cindy
            2019 303 RLS
            2018 F250

Comment

Originally posted by Johnww View Post
              I added additional taillights on my 303 using the 4 way plug near the receiver hitch for a power source. I found a plastic wire cover used to conceal television cables on a wall at Lowe's. This cover is about 1/2" wide and a perfect color match for the Reflection exterior wall. I ran the wiring straight up from the receiver hitch to the rear window then horizontally to each side where I mounted the new taillights. I used double sided foam tape to secure the new taillights and wiring to the exterior wall. I installed these over a year ago and so far the double sided tape is holding fine after several washes. The advantage of my method is no holes the the exterior wall.i would offer to post a picture but I don't know how.
              https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...in-your-thread

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
              X