Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the proper way to connect 14/2 Romex wires in an RV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the proper way to connect 14/2 Romex wires in an RV?

I'm going to add a switch for the outlet behind the basement wall in my Solitude 310GK-R. If I was doing this at home, I would put the wires in a junction box and connect them with wire nuts. Is this acceptable in an RV that is rolling down the road?
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
    I'm going to add a switch for the outlet behind the basement wall in my Solitude 310GK-R. If I was doing this at home, I would put the wires in a junction box and connect them with wire nuts. Is this acceptable in an RV that is rolling down the road?
    Yes it an acceptable method. RVs are built to RVIA standdards which call out the National Electical Code and the International Residential Codes. A junction box and wire nuts are acceptable as long as all connections are inside the box.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Great! Thanks Jim!
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

bertschb TucsonJim

Hi Brian,

Jim is absolutely correct that RVIA defers to the NEC for "appropriate" wiring connections. RVIA makes no allowances for the difference between an RV bouncing down the road and a residence sitting still. I have questioned this in the past. By comparison, ABYC regulations (for boats that move) do not allow twist on wire nuts because they are not vibration resistant.

Vibration resistant wire nuts are available https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Co...5YDNAVAJ92B46W but for whatever reason, although commonly available in Canada, are hard to find in the US. These are a much better choice for wiring connections in an RV (in my opinion).

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Rob

I've never seen a wire nut like that before. That looks much more secure! Thanks for the link.
          Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Brian the other thing that you can do it to use electrical tape around the wire nut and the wires going into it to keep it from loosening up due to vibration. The electrical tape will prevent it from rotating.

Rob
            Rob & Barb
            2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
            2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

I have started using these in place of wirenuts, they are not cheap, but make splicing different size wires together a piece of cake, work with stranded and solid, and stay tight even when bouncing. I keep a small set of various sizes in the rig for repairs on the road. I have had better luck with the Wago branded ones than the generic ones I have seen in home centers. Available on Amazon (like everything else)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q7WM3SK..._RgN-Eb9B6V25E

Click image for larger version  Name:	616zsAdDLyL._AC_SY355_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.9 KB ID:	22991
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro - Those Wagos look really handy. I ordered some. Thanks for sharing that info!
                Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                  I have started using these in place of wirenuts...
                  GD is using them, too. At least I found two behind the Nautilus panel (power and ground for the pump).

Click image for larger version

Name:	OEM Connectors.JPG
Views:	789
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	23001
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson there you go. I got turned onto them when looking for a way to marry up different size wires on the 12v side of the rig. I got sick of twisting wires together into a butt splice our soldering lol.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
                    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post
                      Brian the other thing that you can do it to use electrical tape around the wire nut and the wires going into it to keep it from loosening up due to vibration. The electrical tape will prevent it from rotating.

Rob
                      Just make sure you wrap the tape in the right direction.
                      Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                      2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                      2020 Momentum 351M
                      2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

howson ncitro

I started using the Wago connectors after I found them on our rig, as well. Yeah, they're pricey (on Amazon, where lots of stuff is more pricey than elsewhere), but they're super easy to use and they make for really tight connections. There are various "models" of the connectors, depending on the number of wires you want to splice into one circuit: 2-wires, 3, 5, etc. I ordered some 3-wire and 5-wire units. Sure beats wire nuts.

-Steve
                        2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                        Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                        2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                        18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                        640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                        Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                        Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post

Just make sure you wrap the tape in the right direction.
                          Good One. Can't use the trailer in Australia then as it will rotate the wrong way!!
                          Rob & Barb
                          2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                          2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                            I have started using these in place of wirenuts, they are not cheap, but make splicing different size wires together a piece of cake, work with stranded and solid, and stay tight even when bouncing. I keep a small set of various sizes in the rig for repairs on the road. I have had better luck with the Wago branded ones than the generic ones I have seen in home centers. Available on Amazon (like everything else)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q7WM3SK..._RgN-Eb9B6V25E

Click image for larger version Name:	616zsAdDLyL._AC_SY355_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.9 KB ID:	22991
                            I have been removing these in every place i find them and making decent mechanical connections as I have found several where the locking tabs have opened and wires are sparking.
                            Reflection 297RSTS
                            Ram Laramie CC 2500 Hemi

Comment

Originally posted by Cahriad View Post

I have been removing these in every place i find them and making decent mechanical connections as I have found several where the locking tabs have opened and wires are sparking.
                              Uh-oh. That's not good to hear.
                              2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                              Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                              2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                              18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                              640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                              Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                              Somerset, WI

Comment

Working...
                              X