Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the proper way to connect 14/2 Romex wires in an RV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Calbar View Post
    Brian the other thing that you can do it to use electrical tape around the wire nut and the wires going into it to keep it from loosening up due to vibration. The electrical tape will prevent it from rotating.

Rob
    Grand Design sometimes uses tape on wire nuts. Presumably for vibration resistance, particularly on the multi wire ground connections. Trusting vibration resistance to a piece of tape, just doesn’t seem like a good plan to me (particularly when there are better alternatives available).

(another Rob)

Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

What I do not like about the Wago connectors is the single point of contact made by the locking tabs , as pointed out by Cahriad. This to me seems like the weak point for "heat" to cause these to lose there ability to retain the wire. I realize that wire nuts are not the best solution but that is what I would use , unless I was able to use a crimp on connector.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Grand Design sometimes uses tape on wire nuts. Presumably for vibration resistance, particularly on the multi wire ground connections. Trusting vibration resistance to a piece of tape, just doesn’t seem like a good plan to me (particularly when there are better alternatives available).

(another Rob)
        I agree that there are better solutions out there but done properly the electrical tape sticks very well and will not let the connector turn. I have had electrical tape on connectors on my previous Rockwood and after 10 years trying to get it off to add a connections was a sticky challenge. So not the best or most eloquent solution but it does work and is reliable.

Rob
        Rob & Barb
        2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
        2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

(another Rob)
          2 things:

As Calbar noted, when wrapped properly, it works very well. You have to do more than two passes.

Also, get good electrical tape. I have two rolls in my pouch. 1 is the cheap big box store type. I use this when doing things like pulling wire or when I'm going to make quick use of it. If I'm doing final stuff, 3M electrical tape is what I use.
          Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
          2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
          2020 Momentum 351M
          2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
          X