31 RLK - Access to Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 31 RLK - Access to Converter

I have a newly purchased 2020 GD Transcend 31RLK and have a few questions and would appreciate any help you can give me.

My batteries are not charging when I am hooked to shore power. I have checked the Main breaker and the Converter breaker and both are good. The battery disconnect is set properly. I have heard there may be fuses on the converter, but I can;t figure out how to access the converter on the 31RLK as it seems to be located in an area I can't access. Does anyone know how to access the area where the furnace and Converter are located? The manual shows a couple pictures that show drawers being removed, but the 31RLK only has a top row of drawers and one cupboard door, but all of the panels are all stapled in. I see no way to access the area without knocking out panels. I am missing something? It looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	cupboards.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	23060

Thanks for any information you can provide.
    Attached Files
    Rob & Linda
    2020 Grand Design Transcend 31 RLK
    2018 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 6.7 Liter Powerstroke
    Oregon

Originally posted by robhumphreys View Post
    I have a newly purchased 2020 GD Transcend 31RLK and have a few questions and would appreciate any help you can give me.

My batteries are not charging when I am hooked to shore power. I have checked the Main breaker and the Converter breaker and both are good. The battery disconnect is set properly. I have heard there may be fuses on the converter, but I can;t figure out how to access the converter on the 31RLK as it seems to be located in an area I can't access. Does anyone know how to access the area where the furnace and Converter are located? The manual shows a couple pictures that show drawers being removed, but the 31RLK only has a top row of drawers and one cupboard door, but all of the panels are all stapled in. I see no way to access the area without knocking out panels. I am missing something? It looks like this:

Name:	cupboards.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	23060

Thanks for any information you can provide.
    It looks like your Power Distribution Center (PDC) is a WFCO WF-8930/50NPB. The converter itself looks like a typical 55A, 9800 Series. (I used the Parts Lookup link on the menu bar above to research on GD's Parts Website.)

The electrical plan for your trailer shows the converter behind the PDC and based on the way my hutch was configured (I have a 315RLTS) I'm guessing your converter is behind that center panel. How to remove it--that's a good question. Give your dealership or GD Customer Service a call and ask, as you'll want to check the fuses on the converter (they blow if the battery is inadvertently hooked up backwards).

Once you gain access, the link below is for a Progressive Dynamics converter but the process is the same for the WFCO. Hope it helps. (The PD9100 & PD9200 is the series I recommend you read.)

https://www.progressivedyn.com/servi...er-converters/

Please report back what you find or if you have further questions.

Howard

Name:	Progressive.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	23087
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

On my travel trailer, the panels are stapled in too. But I was able to access my converter by removing the drawers. I was even able to change it to another model throught the drawers.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

robhumphreys

I think your power panel is on the lower right of your hutch. If you turn all the power off you can remove this panel and should have access to the converter. There are usually 4 screws that remove the cover and then 4 screws that will allow you to pull the power distribution panel out. Be careful I am not sure of how much "extra" wire you may have to pull the panel out.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for all your help. I will try to gain access by removing the power distribution panel. i'll report back with my results.
          Rob & Linda
          2020 Grand Design Transcend 31 RLK
          2018 Ford F350 Lariat Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 6.7 Liter Powerstroke
          Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by robhumphreys View Post
            Thanks for all your help. I will try to gain access by removing the power distribution panel. i'll report back with my results.
            Forgive me stating the obvious--you do know there is 120vAC and 12vDC on that panel, right? Please do *not* attempt working around this panel with ANY power on in the trailer. Disconnect the shore power cord and remove the negative cable from the battery.

Again--probably obvious--but I tend to be a worry wart so had to say it...
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
            X