No announcement yet.

Surge Protector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use the progressive industries external unit. Initially I was concerned with it walking off and after a while I just convinced myself to not be concerned about it. I could use either but I've seen some with failed internal units and having to re-wire the rig on a trip would be electrifying in a negative sort of way. The contacts at the rig can easily be seen and I never hot plug or unplug at the unit.

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2020, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Came across this external one with Bluetooth to monitor via cell. Hughes Autoformers PWD30-EPO Power Watchdog Smart Bluetooth Surge Protector Plus EPO with Auto Shutoff - 30 Amp. Anyone familiar with this one?
      John and Lori
      2018 F150 XLT SCAB 2.7l
      2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Originally posted by JHC View Post
        Came across this external one with Bluetooth to monitor via cell. Hughes Autoformers PWD30-EPO Power Watchdog Smart Bluetooth Surge Protector Plus EPO with Auto Shutoff - 30 Amp. Anyone familiar with this one?
        It looks like this unit has a replaceable surge module that is sacrificial. The progressive industries unit is not sacrificial and the warranty and service are excellent. I believe the Hughes AutoFormer now has EMS/EPO protection but they also are sacrificial with respect to surge.

Jim

Comment

I like the portable one since it allows me to check the power to the pedestal before I plug the fiver in.
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

I have had a surge guard post unit for many years... fashioned a chain n padlock setup to lock the unit to the post so it doesn't walk away. Never had any problems. I like the portability of it when checking out sites before plugging the rig. Great for helping out neighbors as well. And it has followed me through the last two rigs I have owned... makes financial sense.
            Moe & Donna
            2020 Imagine 2450RL

Comment

I have this one and really like it. The Bluetooth feature is great and allows you to monitor the system while in range. It was easy to set up and it seems pretty rugged. It has detected over current situations in my Imagine and it safely shut down and restarted.
              2021 Imagine 2400 BH
              2019 F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/ Max Tow

Comment

Here's where I put the Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW30 in my 2020 22MLE. Easy access to the power distribution center under the bottom pantry drawer.

Comment

Originally posted by mike8449 View Post
                  Here's where I put the Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW30 in my 2020 22MLE. Easy access to the power distribution center under the bottom pantry drawer.
                  Very clean install, Mike! Thanks for posting and welcome to the Technical Forum.

Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by mike8449 View Post
                    Nice Mike!

Do you have any more photos of how you ran this from under the dinette seat to the power distribution box? I'm planning to do the same soon - any unexpected issues with the install to be mindful of?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Duke View Post

I have this one and really like it. The Bluetooth feature is great and allows you to monitor the system while in range. It was easy to set up and it seems pretty rugged. It has detected over current situations in my Imagine and it safely shut down and restarted.
                      I bought the Hughes Autoformers PWD30-EPO as well. Reading the book, it seems the 50AMP version does the inside wiring detection as well. I bought the 30amp cause that's what my trailer needed.

Plugged it in, and it promptly told me I had a missing ground. Tested the extension cord I used to plug the trailer in, and it was right. The extension cord had failed.
                      Mike
                      2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                        I use the progressive industries external unit. Initially I was concerned with it walking off and after a while I just convinced myself to not be concerned about it. I could use either but I've seen some with failed internal units and having to re-wire the rig on a trip would be electrifying in a negative sort of way. The contacts at the rig can easily be seen and I never hot plug or unplug at the unit.

Jim
                        I keep my external unit chained to the post after I plug it in. A medium-duty 24” galvanized chain is the perfect size. I am in the habit of starting at the pedestal when I unhook both power and water. The EMS is the first thing that I disconnect and put away. If I were to put my fairly expensive pressure regulator and water filters on the pedestal end, they would also be the first to come off and be put away. I put them on the other end of the hose, also that they can be locked up, out of sight, when in use. I know that they don’t protect the hose, but replacing a 25’ water hose, because of potential high pressure, is much cheaper than replacing the pressure regulator if it were to come up missing. I use an in-line blue water filter, followed by a canister, just prior to hooking into the water panel, so they are mounted against the rear basement wall and semi-permanently plumbed in.
                        Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
                        Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
                        2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
                        Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
                        Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Originally posted by Tom in PGH View Post

I keep my external unit chained to the post after I plug it in. A medium-duty 24” galvanized chain is the perfect size....
                          A purpose-made security cable is quite a bit more secure than a chain. A chain is easily cut with bolt cutters. Security cables are designed to thwart bolt cutters.

Rob

Rob & Laura
                          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                          2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                          (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I have this model but in the hardwired version. I mounted it under the sink compartment in the kitchen. Your shore power enters the trailer at that point just to the right of the furnace. It then feeds power down through the floor along with the water heater lines. I wanted to mount it against the back wall but working space is limited and trying to locate a support stud (you need two for an effective mount) tricky so...
                            I placed it on the floor between the sink drain pipe and the water heater. This area is covered by the removable panel that has the winterizing procedure labels. I I used Velcro to hold it in place so that it is easily removable should I need to get at the heater. I left the panel off so that It's easy to see with the cabinet door open. That also allows me to monitor possible leaks in the flex waterlines also.
                            Last edited by Capt Bob; 09-03-2020, 09:47 AM.
                            Robert and Chris
                            2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
                            2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

Proud new owner of a 22MLE. I have been reading up and it appears a good surge protector is warranted. They seem very expensive but so is the TT. Any recommendations on a good one, either plug in or hard-wired. Thank you.
                              FWIW: I’m a fan of the Surge Guard models. Many different features and price ranges to choose from.
                              Dave and Sue
                              2020 GD 2250RK
                              2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                              Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                              GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                              SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Bob View Post

I have this model but in the hardwired version. I mounted it under the sink compartment in the kitchen. Your shore power enters the trailer at that point just to the right of the furnace. It then feeds power down through the floor along with the water heater lines. I wanted to mount it against the back wall but working space is limited and trying to locate a support stud (you need two for an effective mount) tricky so...
                                I placed it on the floor between the sink drain pipe and the water heater. This area is covered by the removable panel that has the winterizing procedure labels. I I used Velcro to hold it in place so that it is easily removable should I need to get at the heater. I left the panel off so that It's easy to see with the cabinet door open. That also allows me to monitor possible leaks in the flex waterlines also.
                                I was just looking were to hardwire mine in as well. I removed the power panel, but access was NOT that good...its a wiring mess. I was looking at removing the outside power plug and making the wiring connections there and feeding the wires forward to the area under the sink. Was there enough slack in the existing wiring to the plug, to make the necessary connections?

Comment

Working...
                                X