No announcement yet.

Solar trickle charge and refrigerator??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar trickle charge and refrigerator??

The storage area we use has decided to not allow temporary electrical use such as plugging in to start refrigerator night before trip due to abuses from other customers (attempting to run heaters all winter). We have zero possibility of bringing rig to the house to plug in. We have the 1350 dometic and wondering if there is any way a solar trickle charger placed on fully charged battery would allow just the 12-18 hour use to run refrigerator. Not looking for boondocking or long term use but just enough to maintain battery to ignite burner for that period. Currently have original lead acid in use but know it's likely time to swap and would go AGM if that helped. Stand alone unit or utilize solar port? Thoughts from the brain trust?

2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    2018 RAM 2500

Originally posted by Fl2GaScotts View Post
    The storage area we use has decided to not allow temporary electrical use such as plugging in to start refrigerator night before trip due to abuses from other customers (attempting to run heaters all winter). We have zero possibility of bringing rig to the house to plug in. We have the 1350 dometic and wondering if there is any way a solar trickle charger placed on fully charged battery would allow just the 12-18 hour use to run refrigerator. Not looking for boondocking or long term use but just enough to maintain battery to ignite burner for that period. Currently have original lead acid in use but know it's likely time to swap and would go AGM if that helped. Stand alone unit or utilize solar port? Thoughts from the brain trust?

2019 Reflection 315RLTS
    Good morning!

If you have a decent battery and a solar maintainer, you should be in great shape to run the reefer on gas. It draws very little current to ignite the burner or run the fans.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Fl2GaScotts View Post

2019 Reflection 315RLTS
      This may sound crazy, but consider a different approach. Let me explain.

Solar is not 100% reliable. Bad weather or anything blocking the panel(s) and the battery may not receive a charge.

The trailer's battery is the emergency brake power source--it must be in good condition (charge level) at tow commencement. Combine a delay in your plans with little to no charge from a solar setup and you could inadvertently have a low (or even dead) battery. Not a good place to start when towing.

One possible solution is two Battle Born batteries that are not connected to each other and cannot both be connected to the trailer's electric circuits at the same time. If you didn't want to add the second battery position and isolation switches, just swap the two batteries using the OEM battery position.

One battery goes home with you to get charged (or stay charged). When it's time to fire up the refrigerator the day before departure, install the fully charged battery and take home the one that was still at the camper (by charging it at home overnight).

Immediately before leaving the storage facility on departure day, turn off the refrigerator and disconnect 12v power. Install the fully charged battery. Turn on 12v power to the camper (and repower the refrigerator) and you're ready to go. (Protect the other battery's terminals from accidental shorting and store someplace safe or just have a second battery box on the rails to put it in.)

At the campground you can ensure both batteries are fully charged.

All you'd need in addition to the batteries is an upgraded converter in the trailer and a home charger. (I highly recommend a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor, or Victron SmartShunt, for the camper.)

Why the Battle Born (or similar lithium)? Because 1) you can use all 100% of the rated amperage and 2) the Battery Management System ("BMS") will turn itself off when depleted before the battery is ruined.

A little "out of the box" thinking...but it could work.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

@F12GaScotts I am able to run my fridge on propane with one battery overnight with no problem, and still use the landing gear the next morning. One way to find out for sure!

Just wondering.....yout storage area isn’t in Savannah is it? Sounds like the place I store mine at!
        Keith and Diane
        2014 Reflection 337 RLS
        2017 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins Mega Cab

Comment

Originally posted by Kksfish View Post
          @F12GaScotts I am able to run my fridge on propane with one battery overnight with no problem, and still use the landing gear the next morning. One way to find out for sure!

Just wondering.....yout storage area isn’t in Savannah is it? Sounds like the place I store mine at!
          Appreciate the input from all.

No, we're in NW Ga. Apparently the bad apples are everywhere lol.
          2019 Reflection 315RLTS
          2018 RAM 2500

Comment

Working...
          X