Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator

I want to purchase a portable generator for our new Reflection 29RS. We live in Denver, CO (5,280 ft above sea level) and frequently travel to places at higher altitudes as well as to places near sea level. Most generator specs indicate the need for a high altitude carburetor kit(s) but some people I have talked to say you don't need it. It would appear based on the various manufacturer's specs that one has to keep changing carburetor jets every time you change altitude; this seem impractical? Anyone have experience using a portable generator at significantly varying altitudes?

Yes, I believe Honda or Yamaha Generators work very wellđź‘Ť

Comment

Originally posted by Raplis1 View Post
      I want to purchase a portable generator for our new Reflection 29RS. We live in Denver, CO (5,280 ft above sea level) and frequently travel to places at higher altitudes as well as to places near sea level. Most generator specs indicate the need for a high altitude carburetor kit(s) but some people I have talked to say you don't need it. It would appear based on the various manufacturer's specs that one has to keep changing carburetor jets every time you change altitude; this seem impractical? Anyone have experience using a portable generator at significantly varying altitudes?
      Moderator note - I moved your post to the "Electrical" forum for better visibility.

Welcome to the forum!
      Andi
      Brookings SD
      2018 Reflection 337RLS
      2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Comment

Originally posted by Raplis1 View Post
        I have the champion dual fuel unit, and have only ever run it on propane (which is less power output than gas), and have had no problem at elevation. Last year I was in Albuquerque and Yellowstone with no issue, I can’t comment higher than that. I think you might get more power if you changed the jet, but mine runs my needs with no issue.

I love the propane, I considered the Honda and doing a propane conversion, but it was too much. If the Honda cane propane from the factory I would do it in a heartbeat.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

There isn’t much you can do about the power loss even with an altitude kit. To get the same power, you probably need around a 30% larger generator at the altitude you expect to use it than you would at sea level. That is somewhat misleading though, because at altitude you often don’t use as much power since it’s usually cooler.

The altitude kits or re-jetting the carb help improve engine operation. Better combustion efficiency keeps plugs from fouling, reduces CO emission and restores some engine efficiency, but it can’t make up for the lower oxygen content of the air.

For an occasional trip to high altitude, it probably isn’t worth modifying the generator, but if most of your trips are there it would probably be well worth it. Just be aware that your generator will then have combustion efficiency issues at lower altitudes.
          John & Kathy
          2014 Reflection 303RLS
          2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Working...
          X