Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFCI and no power

Hello all,

I have a 2020 GD 397th, In the last week we have lost power to several outlets. These outlets include the outlet left of the fire place below the fan control. Both outlets on the kitchen island. The GFCI outlet in the main bathroom, and the outlet in the cubby in the master bedroom. The GFCI in the bathroom will not allow me to push in the rest switch, I have changed out the GFCI outlet with no resolution. I have checked the breaker box, but I do not see any breakers with lights on stating they are tripped. I have power else ware, and yes they have worked in the past. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you very much.

Check for outside or basement outlets tripped
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Sazabi101 View Post
      Hello all,

I have a 2020 GD 397th, In the last week we have lost power to several outlets. These outlets include the outlet left of the fire place below the fan control. Both outlets on the kitchen island. The GFCI outlet in the main bathroom, and the outlet in the cubby in the master bedroom. The GFCI in the bathroom will not allow me to push in the rest switch, I have changed out the GFCI outlet with no resolution. I have checked the breaker box, but I do not see any breakers with lights on stating they are tripped. I have power else ware, and yes they have worked in the past. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you very much.
      Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum.

All of the outlets you've mentioned look like they are on circuit "F" (GFCI circuit). There's one you haven't mentioned--it is on the exterior, to the right of the main entrance. Give it a look--maybe it has a reset on it?

Please note the drawing I'm looking at is from 2017 and the circuitry could be different.

To know for sure, you might consider mapping all your outlets. Below is how I did my 315RLTS (as an example).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outlets.JPG
Views:	4773
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	23474
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The GFCI in the bathroom will not allow me to push in the rest switch, I have changed out the GFCI outlet with no resolution.
        I think if the GFCI outlet doesn't have 120VAC on it, then it can't be reset, so 120VAC power isn't getting that far.
        Gene and Kim
        2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
        2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Hello all,

The 120v breakers don’t light up when they’re tripped, you have to look for the lever of the breaker to be in the middle position. As stated above, the GFCI won’t reset if there’s no power at the other so the breaker could be tripped. If it’s not then you gave an actual ground fault in the circuit somewhere, my guess would be at one on the outlets. You’ll have to pull them open one at a time and check them.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks for the posts guys! I checked the outside outlet, it does not have a GFCI reset on it, but it does say it’s governed by the bathroom outlet. I also have checked my breaker panel and do not have a gfci breaker. None of the breakers are tripped.

Comment

Thanks for the posts guys! I checked the outside outlet, it does not have a GFCI reset on it, but it does say it’s governed by the bathroom outlet. I also have checked my breaker panel and do not have a gfci breaker. None of the breakers are tripped.
              Yess, there is one GFCI outlet (usually in the bathroom) that serves all of the outlets. There won’t be a GFCI breaker, it’s fed by a regular breaker. Do you have voltage at the input of the GFCI outlet?

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

JFWIW , breakers don't always visibly trip. Just for giggles check by switching breaker off and back on.
                Jim (& Sharon)
                2015 GD Momentum 385TH w/ Joy Rider shocks, Sailun 637s & 3" Garage extension, LifeBlue Lithium.
                2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
                The toys:
                2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE
                2018 Fiat Abarth Cabrio

Comment

Originally posted by JCR GD View Post
                  JFWIW , breakers don't always visibly trip. Just for giggles check by switching breaker off and back on.
                  I just flipped all breakers inside and out, no effect, GFCI still won’t reset.

Comment

I just flipped all breakers inside and out, no effect, GFCI still won’t reset.
                    Do you have a multimeter or no-touch power checker and know how to use them?

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Yess, there is one GFCI outlet (usually in the bathroom) that serves all of the outlets. There won’t be a GFCI breaker, it’s fed by a regular breaker. Do you have voltage at the input of the GFCI outlet?
                      I checked the voltage coming through the GFCI outlet, and there is no voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Do you have a multimeter or no-touch power checker and know how to use them?
                        I have an analog multimeter, and very little knowledge on electrical.

Comment

I checked the voltage coming through the GFCI outlet, and there is no voltage.

Check every outlet on the GFCI circuit--is there power at any of the outlets? (Probably not as you've already documented.)

WARNING: Do the next check IF AND ONLY IF you understand electricity and how to work around live circuits. Best to call an electrician, RV mechanic, or a friend with knowledge than end up in the Emergency Room (or worse).

If none of the outlets have power, check at the Power Distribution Panel's GFCI circuit breaker input and output. You'll have to remove the cover to access the breakers to test. A wire may have come loose from the breaker or the breaker itself may be bad.

Howard

Comment

I have an analog multimeter, and very little knowledge on electrical.
                            OK--then please do not pull the cover on the Power Distribution Panel. Call your dealer and schedule an appointment. As an alternative, call Grand Design Customer Service on Tuesday (they are closed tomorrow I believe) and request authorization for a mobile mechanic. You'll pay for the service fee (not labor) if GD approves.

Comment

Sazabi101

Also--if you want to read a basic primer on RV electrical systems I recommend Mike Sokol's book: https://www.amazon.com/No-Shock-Zone.../dp/0990527913

Click image for larger version

Name:	NoShockZone.JPG
Views:	4026
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	23565

Comment

Working...
                              X