When to replace batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to replace batteries

I have two 6v Trojan T105 batteries for my main bank. They are four years old. I use a Trimetric 2030RV battery monitor. I charged the batteries before we left home using our household 120v through a Progressive Dynamics 9260C 60 amp RV converter/charger.

When we got to camp and I switched on the Trojans (used the 12v backup battery while we drove), the batteries showed they were "charging". They were not connected to any energy source. In the morning, after being used all night, they sometimes showed they were charging. Could they be malfunctioning and it's time to replace them? Any things I could do to test them?

Thanks,
    Dave
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
    B&W Patriot 18k slider

One tool I rely on heavily is a battery hydrometer. Many folks don't use them, but they will give you a pretty good indication of the state of your battery's acid life.
    A T-105 will typically last 4-5 years based on what I've seen. In fact, Paul Paul & Deb replaced the T105's in his 2015 last year.

If you have doubt about the batteries, you can always try to pull them out and take them to a battery shop for load testing before spending money on new ones.

Here's a link for the hydrometer I use:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks TucsonJim . I haven't thought about those since sealed batteries became common in cars. I picked up one in town today. Fortunately there was more than one Auto parts store in town. The first didn't have any and the young clerk sort of knew what I was talking about.

Looks like your timeline for these batteries is confirmed with mine. I need to replace them. Hopefully they can make it through this trip, or I come to a town large enough to have them in stock.

Dave
      2016 Reflection 27RL
      2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
      B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Working...
      X