Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Reflection 297RSTS (water in tail light)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Reflection 297RSTS (water in tail light)

I am sure this is a dumb question, but I have a brand new 297RSTS and I have water in my passenger side tail light.

Is this something I could easily fix myself by removing it, cleaning it and resealing it?

How would I go about removing it? never owned one of these units before, do I have to get to it from the inside or easily removed from the outside?

Thanks in advance, I tried searching the forum before posting but got nothing in terms of actually removing the tail light.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E1E98399-74B8-4555-AF5B-48BE0E1478E8.jpeg
Views:	435
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	23677

Tom.
    The Roaming Sashquatch.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by TomasAllan View Post
    I am sure this is a dumb question, but I have a brand new 297RSTS and I have water in my passenger side tail light.

Is this something I could easily fix myself by removing it, cleaning it and resealing it?

How would I go about removing it? never owned one of these units before, do I have to get to it from the inside or easily removed from the outside?

Thanks in advance, I tried searching the forum before posting but got nothing in terms of actually removing the tail light.

Name:	E1E98399-74B8-4555-AF5B-48BE0E1478E8.jpeg
Views:	435
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	23677

Tom.
    The Roaming Sashquatch.
    Good morning Tom,

You have a different model of lights on your 297 than I have on my '17 version of the same trailer. But the concept should still be the same. You should be able to remove the red lens, and then have access to the inside of the light to dry it out. Some times, the lens is held in place with snap clips that you have to depress before it will come off. And once the lens is off, there should be screws that hold the whole fixture in place. If you ever have to remove the fixture, make sure you reseal it with silicone caulk when you reinstall it.

I had 2008 Keystone Cougar that kept getting water in one of the taillights. I closely examined it one day and found out they mounted it upside down. There was a drain hole in the light fixture that was mounted up instead of down. It allowed rain water to enter the drain hole and fill up the light. I flipped it over and the problem was solved.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Good morning Tom,

You have a different model of lights on your 297 than I have on my '17 version of the same trailer. But the concept should still be the same. You should be able to remove the red lens, and then have access to the inside of the light to dry it out. Some times, the lens is held in place with snap clips that you have to depress before it will come off. And once the lens is off, there should be screws that hold the whole fixture in place. If you ever have to remove the fixture, make sure you reseal it with silicone caulk when you reinstall it.

I had 2008 Keystone Cougar that kept getting water in one of the taillights. I closely examined it one day and found out they mounted it upside down. There was a drain hole in the light fixture that was mounted up instead of down. It allowed rain water to enter the drain hole and fill up the light. I flipped it over and the problem was solved.

Jim
      Jim,

As usual thank you so much for the quick reply, I will go ahead and check this, believe it or not I was wondering if they would build a drain hole, i'll do a closer inspection

Comment

Looks like an LED, and probably supposed to be a sealed assembly.
        John & Kathy
        2014 Reflection 303RLS
        2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
          Looks like an LED, and probably supposed to be a sealed assembly.
          I bet you're right. Does anyone have info on how to remove and or disassemble (if possible) these tail lights?

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

I bet you're right. Does anyone have info on how to remove and or disassemble (if possible) these tail lights?

Jim
            Good points,

GDRV-Megan

Perhaps you can assist here?

Comment

Figured it out.... it has a cover that pops right out then a couple screws, and as JK mentioned above it seems sealed but i carefully pried it appart with a small flathead (red/black part), drained the water then dried it and sealed it again with a combination of superglue and silicone.

Hopefully that gets the job done.

Name:	1A8F0CC0-CE31-4852-9A06-3A18BC3A880B.jpeg
Views:	438
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	24207

Name:	2D7EE7F6-D4E2-41D4-B148-A198B4A4C596.jpeg
Views:	454
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	24205Click image for larger version

Name:	E7F25DDB-0FA8-4FD9-9574-6B3723F699B3.jpeg
Views:	430
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	24208

Attached Files

Comment

TomasAllan

Is there a drain hole on the bottom of the light fixture? This may be something worth adding if not. LED lights are generally sealed , apparently this one is not.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                  TomasAllan

Is there a drain hole on the bottom of the light fixture? This may be something worth adding if not. LED lights are generally sealed , apparently this one is not.

Brian
                  Not that I could find .... and I actually looked for one.

Comment

Working...
                  X