No announcement yet.

Changing from OEM 12v, 75ah battery to Battle Born 12v, 100ah battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My recommendation would be to install the 712 and see what your consumption really is. I am not ****ting on lithium batteries but I had two catch fire on the way to my house and since I full time, I decided no fire is more critical that weight. I have used AGM/gel batteries exclusively with no issues. They just weight more. On my last camper, I had portable panels. You could do this as well and would make installing them simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by pktrusty View Post
      ... I am not ****ting on lithium batteries but I had two catch fire on the way to my house and since I full time, I decided no fire is more critical that weight.
      Were the batteries that caught fire Lithium Ion or LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate)?
      Brian & Kellie
      2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
      2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
      2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
      2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

I was coming back to clarify that. I hear battle born makes a great product and these were not battle born. They were the used Tesla 5.2kwh batteries. Not sure how they were packaged and handled. Just raised a read flag and not sure lithium batteries were for me. Wanted to test my system before I upgrade to lithium.

Comment

My understanding is the LiFePO4 batteries used by Battleborn, Lion Energy, Victron and other "RV battery" manufacturers are not subject to thermal runaway like the batteries used by Tesla. Different chemistries. LiFePO4 is not as energy dense as the batteries used by Tesla but they won't catch fire which is a nice feature for RV batteries :-)
          Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

I had a chance to talk to the CEO of Battle Born Batteries about a year ago. He said they have never had one of their batteries catch fire. And they'd sold many thousands of them. As Brian stated, a Tesla battery is a different chemistry. Tesla is a Lithium Ion which is a completely different type of battery than a Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) technology.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Tesla will be moving to lithium iron phosphate for their future cars - https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/30/tesl...e-battery.html
              Gene and Kim
              2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
              2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
                Tesla will be moving to lithium iron phosphate for their future cars - https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/30/tesl...e-battery.html
                Veeeeery interesting! Thanks for sharing this.
                Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post

Pat:

I have learned a ton from Jim and Howard...but as Howard said, I am in the process of going through some of this on my new 2020 2400BH. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-and-questions

1. Can Battle Born batteries be installed with my current wiring/cables? Right now, my battery has 8awg wiring. You could, but I moved my batteries off the tongue and into the pass through. I could not stomach ~$2700 in batteries out there in an easy to steal location. I also upgraded my wiring to 2/0 from battery to a bus bar and then 4/0 from the bus bar to the battery switch. I wired each battery to a bus bar because of resistance. Want = and as little resistance from the batteries as possible....want the maximum performance out of them I can get. But, your wiring is OK.
                  2. I think for my usage and smaller size of my TT, 2 BH batteries would be adequate; am I on the right track? This is one of those "it depends". What are you trying to do? If you are looking at getting an inverter (recommend pure sine wave inverter) then you could go with a 2000 watt or a 1000 watt inverter. I would not recommend a 3000 watt inverter...not unless you add a battery.
                  3. With respect to future solar, I’m thinking of around 400 watts and a portable generator for ac; any thoughts? Again, not sure what you are trying to accomplish...or if I am the best person to answer. I also hope to install solar in the future...I have a solar controller mounted already! I bought a honda EU2200i generator and did a propane conversion on it from Hutch Mountain. Again, check out my thread above.
                  4. Finally, I get the impression that Grand Design kind of cheaped out in providing only one very basic battery and fairly light gauge wiring. Am I wrong? Will any upgrading of batteries and solar equipment require extensive rewiring of the trailer? Eh, they may have gone as cheap as they could...they have to keep pricing competitive...but I don't think they went unsafe by any stretch and I do not think that you will need to re-wire your entire camper. Depending on what you want to accomplish and where you install items...you may need to do some wiring. But, if you are using all the factory locations...maybe not or very minimal. Depends on if you are installing an inverter etc.
                  Totally agree! That's a comprehensive answer for this thread

Comment

There are various types of batteries that have been used in auto's. The first battery type I worked with at GM was a Nickel Metal Hydride pack with Panasonic cells. Today there are still a variety of chemistries where today, the goal is to move a way from cobalt. Cobalt is expensive and mined in some of the most volatile regions of the world where political instability can cause shortages.

When Tesla first began producing EVs they were powered by Panasonic 18650 lap top batteries and with a clever design where each cell was coupled by a fuseable link. If one cell shorted, the thin wire connecting the cell would burn through and eliminate the potential issue. A similar technology has been used on the AIMS battery I have where each cell has a board to monitor its performance and perform diagnostics. This is on top of a BMS which monitors the overall pack.
                    Our RV batteries typically have a flame retardant along with the build in BMS which should prevent getting there in the first place. RV drop in packs are made up of B grade cells which are rarely disclosed of their source. Auto packs are much higher quality A grade cells, have higher energy density and must also be handled much more carefully where they are both heated and cooled to keep them within safe parameters and to increase longevity.

I'm comfortable using an RV specific drop in battery versus experimenting with re-cycled auto batteries where the original BMS is not used.

Jim
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-24-2021, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PatIdiart View Post
                      Hello all,
                      I just purchased a 2021 GD Imagine Xls 22rbe about a month ago. I will almost certainly be installing solar panels in the future but for now I’m planning some baby steps. After educating myself with the inadequacies of OEM battery monitors, I have purchased a Victron BMV 712 battery monitor. I currently have only one OEM battery described above. I know almost nothing about electronics or electricity so even the simplest of electronic tasks requires quite a bit of research on my part. These days I live on YouTube!

I have some questions and hope some of you can help.

1. Can Battle Born batteries be installed with my current wiring/cables? Right now, my battery has 8awg wiring.
                      2. I think for my usage and smaller size of my TT, 2 BH batteries would be adequate; am I on the right track?
                      3. With respect to future solar, I’m thinking of around 400 watts and a portable generator for ac; any thoughts?
                      4. Finally, I get the impression that Grand Design kind of cheaped out in providing only one very basic battery and fairly light gauge wiring. Am I wrong? Will any upgrading of batteries and solar equipment require extensive rewiring of the trailer?

thanks for your time and any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated

Pat
                      I would install the Victron 712 first as previously suggested. It's an easy install; lots of You Tube videos on it. This will allow you to know what your actual consumption is.

When you do know this information, call Battleborn and tell them what you need. They sell other components for your system, such as converters, inverters, charge controllers, etc. I bet they have a Progressive Dynamics fix for your style controller. Go to YouTube and search for the Getaway Couple. Find their interview with Battleborn CEOs. LOTS of great information!

I am not peddling Battleborn, but I have been impressed with their reputation. I will get them to bundle my system when I put it together. Good luck and have fun with your new camper.

Comment

I spoke to someone at PD about changing my WFCO9855 to the PD9160alv and one thing he said to make sure have an 80 amp short stop resettable circuit breaker. He mentioned the Bussman CB185. Reason was because of the higher 14.4 charging rate. Has anyone had to do this with any of our GD trailers?
                        Vivian
                        2018 Reflection 303rls
                        Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                        Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                          I spoke to someone at PD about changing my WFCO9855 to the PD9160alv and one thing he said to make sure have an 80 amp short stop resettable circuit breaker. He mentioned the Bussman CB185. Reason was because of the higher 14.4 charging rate. Has anyone had to do this with any of our GD trailers?
                          I can't believe how timely this comment is. I was depleting my 2 Battle Born batteries yesterday while testing how long they would last in a boondocking trip. After the test I plugged back into 50amp shore power and the batteries started to be charged by my PD9160ALV Converter at about 55 amps. I was watching my Victron BVM-712 battery monitor on my phone and heard a "snap" in the front storage area, where the batteries, inverter, etc. are, and the charging amps went to zero. 15 seconds later another snap and it's back to 55 amp charging.

I tracked this down to a 30 amp resettable fuse that the converter red wire was going through before going to the batteries. Evidently this was good enough for the WFCO9855 and a couple of regular car batteries but not for the power grabbin' Lithiums! DOH! So I need one of these 80 amp circuit breakers for the charging circuit to go through.

On second thought...I've only got 6AWG wire, so maybe the 60amp breaker would be best.

Click image for larger version  Name:	80 amp breaker.png Views:	0 Size:	84.7 KB ID:	41519
                          Pat and Karen
                          2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

Originally posted by pengle View Post

I can't believe how timely this comment is. I was depleting my 2 Battle Born batteries yesterday while testing how long they would last in a boondocking trip. After the test I plugged back into 50amp shore power and the batteries started to be charged by my PD9160ALV Converter at about 55 amps. I was watching my Victron BVM-712 battery monitor on my phone and heard a "snap" in the front storage area, where the batteries, inverter, etc. are, and the charging amps went to zero. 15 seconds later another snap and it's back to 55 amp charging.

I tracked this down to a 30 amp resettable fuse that the converter red wire was going through before going to the batteries. Evidently this was good enough for the WFCO9855 and a couple of regular car batteries but not for the power grabbin' Lithiums! DOH! So I need one of these 80 amp circuit breakers for the charging circuit to go through.

On second thought...I've only got 6AWG wire, so maybe the 60amp breaker would be best.

Click image for larger version Name:	80 amp breaker.png Views:	0 Size:	84.7 KB ID:	41519

Pat, the tech I spoke with said to also verify wire from existing converter is 4-6 gauge. He said breaker had to be 80 amp. Best you call PD tech support to make sure.
                            Vivian
                            2018 Reflection 303rls
                            Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                            Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                              Yes I also use one. My Bussman re-settable breaker is velcro'd right on top of my battery. The breaker was also suggested by Progressive Dynamics for use with their 60amp Lithium converter charger.

Jim

Comment

I have the same 2021 Imagine 22RBE, Once you go into boon docking, it will become a game of "what else can we run off of the AC outlets". I believe I may have over purchase for this reason. (2) SOK 206Ah LiFePO4 batteries $1011.00 ea. 412Ah for $2000. The Battle Born Batteries are fine, but I wanted to avoid upgrading later. (3) 210W Solar Panels from NewPowa 630W $600 . Newpowa 210W Solar Panel 12V: Mono-crystalline 210 Watt Solar Panel. And Yes they will fit on the 22RBE with room for four. (1) 50W EPEVER 50A MPPT Solar Charge Controller.
                                Yes I may have over purchased.

Comment

Working...
                                X