Fresh Water Tank Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Water Tank Sensor

So, I had the dealership fill my fresh water tank....when I checked it...it showed 1 light (empty) on fresh water.

So, I filled it up after camping this past weekend....still shows 1 light (empty) when you hit the fresh water button. Is this normal? I guess I could go pull the fresh water release to see if it is basically empty...50 some gallons of fresh would be hard to miss....

Am I missing something or misunderstanding how this works? Do the fresh water lights on the control panel work in reverse?
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Originally posted by bellis View Post
    So, I had the dealership fill my fresh water tank....when I checked it...it showed 1 light (empty) on fresh water.

So, I filled it up after camping this past weekend....still shows 1 light (empty) when you hit the fresh water button. Is this normal? I guess I could go pull the fresh water release to see if it is basically empty...50 some gallons of fresh would be hard to miss....

Am I missing something or misunderstanding how this works? Do the fresh water lights on the control panel work in reverse?
    No the lights on the panel do not work in reverse. I would guess that the wiring may be a miss some how. Have a meter that would show you that you put 50 gallons , or close to that , before it runs out of the over flow would let you know that it is taking the right amount of water.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

The sensors on the tank do not measure the quantity of water, but how full the tank is. If the tank is actually full to overflowing, all the lights should light up, regardless if there are 40 or 50 gallons in the tank.

A tank sensor completes the circuit in a simple low voltage electrical system. They are mounted through the sidewall of a holding tank so that each sensor's head is on the inside of the tank and the sensors physically ascend or descend in a line on the body of the holding tank.

If the lights aren't all lighting up, there are three possible senarios that come to mind:

1. The sensors are defective.
      2. There is a circuit problem such as a loose wire which is preventing some of the lights from illuminating.
      3. You are not completely filling the tank or there is a defect which is preventing it from filling up. Try filling the tank until you see water coming out of the overflow pipe. This will indicate that the tank is full. Once full, check the lights again.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

The small electrical items circled in red are the small sensors TucsonJim is referencing. (On my camper the tank sensors are on the street side.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	sensors.JPG
Views:	1450
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	24176
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

bellis
          These sensors (on all tanks) are notorious for being inaccurate. You will cause yourself a lot of frustration by trying to relate the number of lights to the volume in the tank(s). I don't ever press the tank buttons anymore . . . it just raises my blood pressure .

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
          X