Two Outlets went “dead,” reading low voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Outlets went “dead,” reading low voltage

Hello! We have a 2018 Reflection 29RS that we bought new in January of 2019. After our last camping trip (all outlets working fine - that was just a couple of weeks ago), when we got home, we plugged into our home using the proper dog bone (which we have been doing since we brought the unit home from the dealer)...same routine as always. I went into the unit this week to find the two recliners were not “on” (the power rings were not glowing blue). I unplugged the chairs from the outlet and plugged in a small appliance to find it did not work. I then plugged the chair into the outlet under the cabinet next to the couch, and the chair worked. I proceeded to test other outlets. I found that outlet and the one under the dining table did not work. My husband tested with a volt meter. Both outlets are reading low (35 volts). All other outlets tested normal (120v). He checked and tightened the connections to those receptacles. All wiring looks good, not damaged. Checked the panel, everything looks good there too. We can’t imagine two receptacles went bad at the same time, but will try replacing them. Are we missing anything, or is this a costly repair needing to be done by the dealership?

Originally posted by HappyCampers29RS View Post
    Hello! We have a 2018 Reflection 29RS that we bought new in January of 2019. After our last camping trip (all outlets working fine - that was just a couple of weeks ago), when we got home, we plugged into our home using the proper dog bone (which we have been doing since we brought the unit home from the dealer)...same routine as always. I went into the unit this week to find the two recliners were not “on” (the power rings were not glowing blue). I unplugged the chairs from the outlet and plugged in a small appliance to find it did not work. I then plugged the chair into the outlet under the cabinet next to the couch, and the chair worked. I proceeded to test other outlets. I found that outlet and the one under the dining table did not work. My husband tested with a volt meter. Both outlets are reading low (35 volts). All other outlets tested normal (120v). He checked and tightened the connections to those receptacles. All wiring looks good, not damaged. Checked the panel, everything looks good there too. We can’t imagine two receptacles went bad at the same time, but will try replacing them. Are we missing anything, or is this a costly repair needing to be done by the dealership?
    There's a component called a "Molex" connector that combines the stiff wiring in the trailer to the flexible wiring used in a slide. The wiring in that connector has probably failed. (Not an uncommon problem.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Molex (Large).jpg
Views:	351
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	24214
    The connector is under the floor, above the coroplast. ("Coroplast" is the covering installed under the trailer.)

Rewiring the Molex is not fun--a special tool is required to do it per the OEM's intent.

Name:	20191119_132345 (Large).jpg
Views:	309
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	24215

My fellow moderator, @Cate&Rob, repaired his Molex failure a different way. I'll find the thread and link in the next post. (This assumes you'd be OK with trying to fix yourself.)

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Here's a discussion on the topic: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lex-connectors

Here's another one: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...placement-part

I realize your camper is past it's warranty date, but give Grand Design Customer Service a call anyway. (Phone # is on the business card, main page of this forum.) They may authorize a warranty repair. Be ready to provide your VIN. (Worth the call--trust me!)

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

There's a component called a "Molex" connector that combines the stiff wiring in the trailer to the flexible wiring used in a slide. The wiring in that connector has probably failed. (Not an uncommon problem.)

Name:	Molex (Large).jpg
Views:	351
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	24214
        The connector is under the floor, above the coroplast. ("Coroplast" is the covering installed under the trailer.)

Rewiring the Molex is not fun--a special tool is required to do it per the OEM's intent.

Name:	20191119_132345 (Large).jpg
Views:	309
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	24215

My fellow moderator, @Cate&Rob, repaired his Molex failure a different way. I'll find the thread and link in the next post. (This assumes you'd be OK with trying to fix yourself.)

Howard
        I replaced mine with a regular extension cord plug and cord end. Been that way for two years now with no issue.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I replaced mine with a regular extension cord plug and cord end. Been that way for two years now with no issue.
          Do you have any pics of the install or process? Rob's took a pic but my googlefi is failing me...

Comment

Do you have any pics of the install or process? Rob's took a pic but my googlefi is failing me...
            No, no picture unfortunately. I just bought a fifteen amp make and female extension cord end and took the molex plug apart and wires in the cord ends like replacing an extension cord. They make a waterproof one too, but I didn’t want to have to wait for an order to come in and they weren’t available in store. I figured if it hot corroded again I could just replace it again, but it’s held up longer than the original so far.

Neil Citro

Comment

I thought there was a recall or (potential recall) or something on these connectors? I second giving GD a call. Did you drive through any rain your last trip?
              ncitro howson HappyCampers29RS
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
                I thought there was a recall or (potential recall) or something on these connectors? I second giving GD a call. Did you drive through any rain your last trip?
                As what you're referencing is under review, GD has asked us not to discuss the topic or speculate about it on this forum. Thus my "encouragement" for the OP to give GD Customer Service a call.

Comment

Yep, did it before my trip out to California and back last year. On the road for four months and saw everything but snow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.1 KB ID:	24249

Something like this would work if you were worried about water. I can assure you the factory molex are in no way waterproof.

Edit: Just saw howson posted, I did not know it was under review, if I should pull my recommendation let me know, or delete as appropriate.

Neil Citro

Comment

Wow thank you all for the insight and suggestions! I will show my husband these replies, and I do have a call in to GDCS - waiting for a call back. Of course, something like this happens just out of the warranty period - isn’t that always the way. We are new to RVing (this is our first) and RVs in general, so learning as we go. I will let you know what GD says - so far their CS has been excellent, so hoping for another great experience! Fingers crossed 🤞!

Comment

Oh, yes we did actually drive through rain on our last trip coming home (June 24th) and they were working even after that - we plugged in when we got home and chairs were lit up. It wasn’t until last week sometime when I went in to put some stuff away that I noticed the lights on the chairs (cup holders) were out. When I plugged them into another working outlet, they worked fine.

I just got off the phone with GD. He said it could be because I am going from 50amp down to 15 (dog bone) at home, and said he thinks that if we plug into 50amps those outlets will work again. He did also talk about looking under the slide at the wiring, but there is an underbelly covering, so not sure how to do that. Also, talked about a junction box - I notice there is a “box” protruding from the slide wall inside, behind the chairs just to the left of the outlet. Is that anything we should be looking at? I can take pics when I get home from work if that would help? Ugh 😩

Comment

I asked about any recalls (other than the heat shield behind the microwave), he said there are none. 🤔 Did say that if we bring it to the dealer and they find a that the factory didn’t install a connector right or something like that, they would work with us. They opened up a case, at least.

Comment

Oh, yes we did actually drive through rain on our last trip coming home (June 24th) and they were working even after that - we plugged in when we got home and chairs were lit up. It wasn’t until last week sometime when I went in to put some stuff away that I noticed the lights on the chairs (cup holders) were out. When I plugged them into another working outlet, they worked fine.

I just got off the phone with GD. He said it could be because I am going from 50amp down to 15 (dog bone) at home, and said he thinks that if we plug into 50amps those outlets will work again. He did also talk about looking under the slide at the wiring, but there is an underbelly covering, so not sure how to do that. Also, talked about a junction box - I notice there is a “box” protruding from the slide wall inside, behind the chairs just to the left of the outlet. Is that anything we should be looking at? I can take pics when I get home from work if that would help? Ugh 😩
                          Unfortunately, I can assure you there is no way that running it on the dogbone adapter would cause that issue. Only thing that would cause is popping the breaker you are plugged into at the house. You would need to pull the coroplast (protective cover) to get a look at the junction box and molex plug we are talking about.

Neil Citro

Comment

The underbelly covering is fairly easy to remove - its just screwed to the frame. The section I would pull down to find the connector is where the wiring from the slide passes into the frame. You should be able to see the wiring bundle under the slide. Just trace it back to the frame.

Hope this helps
                            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

As what you're referencing is under review, GD has asked us not to discuss the topic or speculate about it on this forum. Thus my "encouragement" for the OP to give GD Customer Service a call.
                              Sorry Howard
                              Its still over at the other place. I PM you too

Comment

Working...
                              X